Fellatious Commentary Readers

I understand what you're saying, SMX, but I addressed that argument already. I'll restate it, though. I might not have made it clear.

The songs should be rated against one another, not other bands' songs. Ergo, an "average" Maiden song (which is, we'll agree I think, excellent in comparison to other bands), should get a middle rating (3 stars).

Unless all Maiden songs are of exactly the same calibre, which I know isn't true (as subjective as that is), they should cluster at 3 stars.

I realise that these surveys are self-selecting by definition - a person would be more likely to click on the page for a song they particularly like, which means they'll give it a high rating. Songs they don't like will not be voted on at all. There's no way to solve it without people actually thinking critically.

There is a particular difficulty with that approach, Duke. In order to determine which songs are average, above average or below average, a user would first have to rate all the songs to find out their relative standing with each other, then translate this to a scale of "average=3". I'm not saying this can't be done; I only mean that it is more than can reasonably be expected of most voters.

Thus, a voter is more likely to consider each song relevant to all other songs he knows (which is a large enough set to give an idea of average). Based on that comparison, seeing Maiden's average come out around 4 stars is reasonable.

So I do understand your position, Duke, but I think it's hard to implement.

As I've said before, I think that could be implemented by limiting the number of 5 star votes to 5... the number of 4.5 star votes to 10, etc.

The problem is that you give no references! That's all!

If I ask you: is 200km/h a high speed? Well, for a car it certainly is, but never for those space ships!

So what's needed is a reference. Point out something like "THE TROOPER IS A 3 STARS SONG!" And then ppl would vote based on The Trooper.

But then there is an obvious problem: the song to choose. I know a friend for whom the best Iron Maiden song is The Trooper, so he would rate all the other ones under 3 stars. Some ppl don't like The Trooper, so they would rate all the other songs above 3 stars.

Anyway, what is needed is a reference, just that. "How will that be arranged?" Ah, I have no idea! :D!

Back