Favourite Ballad

What is your favourite Iron Maiden ballad?

• Prodigal Son

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • No Prayer For The Dying

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Wasting Love

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • 2 AM

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Como Estais Amigos

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Blood Brothers

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Journeyman

• Out Of The Shadows

• Total voters
I voted for Out of the Shadows -- for a ballad, it is a fairly rousing live song.  2 a.m. probably is #2.  I, for one, support the decision not to include Strange World in the poll -- though it is "soft," it's more akin to something off of Dark Side of the Moon than a traditional ballad.   

Sadly, my favourite ballad-like song, Children of the Damned, isn't on this list. It's not exactly a ballad but perhaps a power ballad, I'm not sure. A lot of Maiden's songs are hard to classify, a few could qualify as progressive ballads (at least that's what I call them) like Revelations, Dream of Mirrors, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, and maybe No More Lies. Anyone know if there's a name for this kind of song?

In all honesty, I wouldn't call some of the songs on the list "ballads" as such and so they're out of the voting for me. I went for Journeyman. It's acoustic, almost airy feel is just great. Out of the shadows is a brilliant power ballad but Journeyman is the truest ballad in my book. Hence my vote :)

Why does everybody like Out of the Shadows so much?  To me it is the second weakest here (besides Prodigal Son).  Anyway My vote goes to Wasting Love.

I vote Strange World (Soundhouse Tape version).

A friend burned me a copy of Iron Maiden and somehow the soundhouse version of Strange World ended up on it. I can't even listen to the album version now, there's just no comparison.

Como Estais Amigos.

Beautifully sung by Blaze.

'Should we try to remember
What is wrong and what is right.'

Perfect.

Jeffmetal said:
This is one great song, indeed! Janick's solo is one of his and Maiden's best.
Janick is very underrated by Maiden fans.  I've talked to waaay to many people who hate him because he has fun onstage, despite the fact he's helped write some of Maiden's best like The Legacy, Dream of Mirrors, etc.  :rocker:

Go to the topic Up The Gers, on Maiden Chat, and see what I think of the man. He's great and he always got my respect 'cos he never tried to be Adrian. He always was simply Janick Gers and he's amazing!

Back