Favorite Maiden Recurring Theme

What maiden theme in songs interests you most?

• Mythology

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Literature

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Movies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Religion

• War

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Life

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Psychological

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Ambiguous/Abstract

• History

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Politics

• Total voters

Mmm...Donuts

Trooper
Maiden is obviously know for their diverse set of themes! But what theme do you always love for their songs?
In case you might be a little caught between choosing themes, here's a representative for each category.
Mythology - Flight Of Icarus
Literature - Brave New World
Movies - The Clansman
Religion - For The Greater Good Of God
War - The Aftermath
Life - Different World
Psychological - Dream Of Mirrors
Ambiguous/Abstract - Deja Vu
History - Alexander The Great
Politics - Be Quick Or Be Dead

Mmm...Donuts said:
Maiden is obviously know for their diverse set of themes! But what theme do you always love for their songs?
In case you might be a little caught between choosing themes, here's a representative for each category.
Mythology - Flight Of Icarus
Literature - Brave New World
Movies - Sign Of The Cross
Religion - For The Greater Good Of God
War - The Aftermath
Life - Different World
Psychological - Dream Of Mirrors
Ambiguous/Abstract - Deja Vu
History - Alexander The Great
Politics - Be Quick Or Be Dead

I wouldn't agree with some of those.  'The Name Of The Rose' was a book before a film...perhaps you could use 'The Clansman', which leans heavily on 'Braveheart'...but it's not clear cut, anyway.

I don't have a single favourite, but among my favourite topics would be War, Religion, Mythology, Literature and History, with a combination of History, Religion and War taking the biscuit (Montsegur, The Longest Day, The Aftermath).  Ahh, let's go for War.

P.S. I don't like much of Maiden's mythological works...I feel other bands do that better, and Bruce's occult/eschatology-themed lyrics are particularly good, in his solo career.

went for war on this poll. some of my favourite maiden songs are based on this topic (afraid to shoot strangers, the trooper, aces high, tailgunner, good chunk of the X factor, montsegur, paschendale, a matter of life and death album).

War, religion, history, politics...  I like a lot of songs based on movies or books, but I won't list them as I haven't seen/read almost any of the movies/books that Maiden have done songs about.

Re: Favourite Maiden Recurring Theme

I vote for life in this poll. To me one of my favourite songs is based on this topic (Different World, for example).

Seems like a nice poll, but before I vote, can I have a bit of an extra explanation, if possible?

Your question is: "What Maiden theme in songs interests you most?"
These “themes” are not Maiden themes. It depends what you exactly want with the question.

Is it: “What themes have your most interest in general?”
or: "What are your favourite Maiden songs about (which themes)."

(or something else?)

I ask this, because my general interest in themes can be different from the lyric-themes of my favourite Maiden songs. Thanks in advance!

While mythology, literature, and religious have made for some excellent songs, I think Iron Maiden has absolutely mastered writing songs about war more than any other band. The Longest Day, These Colours Don't Run, Fortunes of War, Paschendale, The Aftermath, Face in the Sand, and Aces High all relate the intesity and horror of war and its aftermath from a very personal and engaging perspective. On The Longest Day, Paschendale, These Colours Don't Run and The Aftermath especially, the imagery is so lifelike that you can instantly identify with the soldiers and their struggles.

Forostar said:
Seems like a nice poll, but before I vote, can I have a bit of an extra explanation, if possible?

Your question is: "What Maiden theme in songs interests you most?"
These “themes” are not Maiden themes. It depends what you exactly want with the question.

Is it: “What themes have your most interest in general?”
or: "What are your favourite Maiden songs about (which themes)."

(or something else?)

I ask this, because my general interest in themes can be different from the lyric-themes of my favourite Maiden songs. Thanks in advance!

It's the former =)

Thanks!

So it is: “What themes have your most interest in general?”

My favourite themes are movies, history, politics, religion & war. Expressing emotions & thoughts are Maiden's best abilities and these are often connected to the themes I just mentioned.

Psychological would be the best fitting vote.

Mmm...Donuts said:
It's the former =)

Whoops!  In that case, my favourite theme would be mythology and history, with war a close third.  But it's too late to change it, and war is a very interesting theme anyway...

I went for literature, although it's really a tie between that and war, religion, history, and politics. Maiden just handles these topics really well and can give these themes atmosphere through their music (excellent example is Paschendale, it always makes me feel like I'm watching a movie of it in real time or like I'm experiencing the battle first hand without the physical pain). I agree with Raven that other bands deal with mythology better (such as Bruce in his solo works).

Back