Egypt (The chains are gone)

Some of his ravings yesterday reminded me of Hitler towards the end of the war (thinking about how the Austrian nutter talked about how Germany, if it could not win the war, deserved to go under, and so on). Gaddafi seems just as self-absorbed and destructive right now.

Maybe the best solution would be if he takes the inspiration further and gives himself a bullet.

Eddies Wingman said:
Maybe the best solution would be if he takes the inspiration further and gives himself a bullet.
I'd bet that at some point he does.

Rumour has it the US are deploying naval units to Libya. Any thoughts?

Gadaffi is about to be informed that NATO will not allow him to machine gun his own people. I wholeheartedly support this idea.

Of course, the US will use this leverage post-revolution to claim special status, but if the influence is used to get a Libyan democracy going…why the hell not?

Because outside involvement has always been problematic during revolutions. Qadaffi - or whoever takes over after him - now has the "national security" trump. That's what kept Castro and Khomeini on their thrones.

Perun said:
Rumour has it the US are deploying naval units to Libya. Any thoughts?

It's about time. He's slaughtering his own people and says they love him.
I think it's well established at this point that he's a maniac.

It depends how far it goes. If NATO simply establishes a no-fly zone stopping the Libyan gov't from strafing its own people…

Perun said:
That's what kept Castro and Khomeini on their thrones.

NATO involvement also toppled Milosevic.

Onhell said:
And lack of international involvement (read: US) kept Castro on the "throne."

You are forgetting that the USSR played a significant part in supporting him.

JFK did call off the air support for Bay of Pigs, however. He had 2 carriers in the vicinity - Essex and Shangri-La - and could have changed the face of the invasion.

This is before the USSR intervened - Castro asked for USSR assistance after the Bay of Pigs.

NATO needs to establish a no fly zone ASAP.  I am starting to think Ghdaffi's demise might be premature given that they just retook some territory, if our government is serious about wanting him to go, it is time to put up and support the rebels, not only for humanatarian reasons, but to have some stake in the future Libyan govenrment. 

The worst thigns that can happen at this point (outside of a prolonged civil war) would be Ghadaffi regaining power and unleashing a blood bath on eastern Libya or the rebels taking over with zero help from the "the west"

I am not sure how the Italians are thought of in Libya given their colonial rule over the country, but this seems to be in their sphere of influence and they should be taking some steps here as well.  It would be best if this were not a US only operation.

Nations are reluctant to go in there with military, and some western governments had their noses up Khadaffi's ass for the last years.

This week, Russia called Khadaffi a political zombie (made me laugh!).

True, this would have been a lot easier in 1999 when he was still a pariah. 

I'm still of the opinion the worst option here is to do nothing (from this point), we have already taken economic moves against Ghadaffi and I am sure the rebels in the east would not be happy if they took control while getting the hell bombed out of them when we could (from a military standpoint) easily shoot the Libyan Air Force out of the sky and take out other key military targets (tanks and heavy guns) from the air.

Yeah…Italy is concerned because they are still having their nose up Quadaffer's bum (have we ever spelled his name the same once in this thread?). Still, NATO should move on this. I agree that it should be a multi-national coalition, absolutely.

LooseCannon said:
(have we ever spelled his name the same once in this thread?).

I just checked. According to the transcription rules from the ROS for Arabic, it would properly be transcribed as Qaddāfi, or without special characters, Qadhdhaafi. Since it's never written with a tashdid (symbol for two consecutive consonants), I've never been sure whether it's Qaddafi, Qadaffi, Qaddaffi or Qadafi. What's worse is that according to the Persian transcription I originally learned, I'd transcribe it Qazzāfi.

And go ahead and try to find it in western press. Gadafi, Gaddafi, Gadaffi, Khadafi, Kadafi, Khaddafi, Khadaffi, the list goes on.

Which goes to show you why journalists reporting from such countries should at least be able to read the script. The letter his name starts with is ق, the only proper transcription for which is "q". "G" is گ "k" is ک, "kh" is خ, and "gh" is غ - all of which are completely different letters and sounds. گ (g) doesn't even exist in the Arabic language, it is a Persian character. It's frustrating to follow the news in the west if you studied orientalism.

Looks like the NATO task force is coming together: US is sending USS Enterprise and USS Kearsarge + support ships; UK is sending a destroyer and frigate, Canada is sending HMCS Charlottetown, no other contributions announced as of yet but talk of the NATO force being reinforced from other world powers including Germany, Turkey, and Russia (!).

Back