1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DREAM THEATER SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Night Prowler, Jun 4, 2016.

?

Satisfied with the results?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Yes, and Petrucci once said there were tensions between Prater and LaBrie during A Change.
    I loved the sound of Images back then, but later I found it too Final-Countdown-esque. On A Change I first didn't like the piccolo snare sound, which I've got no problem with now, but I think the acoustic guitars and vocals sound unnatural at times.
    So neither is perfect imo, but I prefer the sound of A Change today, because it's more raw and timeless.

2. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

IMO Dream Theater's production didn't become great until after Awake, reaching a peak with Scenes and Six Degrees.
    On Images, the drums stand out too much while the rest is kinda quiet. Then again, Petrucci's lead sound is pretty damn good.
    Seasons has a more pleasant drum sound but the guitars sound thinner and more scooped.

The three are strong songs, top 10 contenders all of them but none of those would I put in my top 3.

3. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Awake is my favorite DT album from a sound standpoint. Just an amazing atmosphere on that record.

Black Bart likes this.
  4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Dad Rock connoisseur extraordinaire

Like I said, I made some kind of peace with ACOS, loving certain parts, being seriously bored with others, but I accept that while it is overrated, it has some merit and I don't particularily mind the fact it's in the top 3. I still love Jordan, but Derek should have stayed with the band longer.

However, combined with that abhorrent abomination of Learning to Carouselambra 2 and the overplayed cliché of Met (though I still like that one somewhat), this is indeed a sickening sight.

5. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

You jynxed it all...

6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

IMO Dream Theater's production was never great. Six Degrees might be the closest thing they've had to an album with great production, but everything they've ever done has at least one noticeable flaw.

7. Night Prowler

Apart from Images & Words, none of their albums have the perfect production, but they never had an outright bad production either. Even their worst produced releases are still good. Compare that to Metallica whose best produced album is "tolerable" IMO.

8. Mosh

Yea I can probably agree with that. SC is way too loud but I can at least turn the volume down. Can't fix the distortion on Death Magnetic.

Night Prowler likes this.
  9. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

Systematic Chaos was pretty bad production-wise. They went for a raw heavy sound but it turned out quite amateur, ToT was much better in that regard.

10. Mosh

I think the mix on SC is actually really good. It's a tad flat but you can hear the instruments very clearly. Just lacks punch, but that's partly because the lack of dynamics suck the life out of the music.

11. Night Prowler

[​IMG]

Top 10
    Metropolis, Part 1 - The Miracle & The Sleeper
    04. Octavarium
    05. The Glass Prison
    06. Blind Faith
    07. Home
    08. Breaking All Illusions
    09. Trial Of Tears
    10. Stream Of Consciousness

12. Night Prowler

A Change Of Seasons. Great song, but has a lot of parts that could be trimmed. Learning To Live isn't perfect either (that damn fade out) but it's way more consistent.

13. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

:clap: :yey: :ok:

Tough choice, because I love Learning to Live, but ACOS is all of Dream Theater encompassed in one track.

14. Mosh

Easy choice. Thanks to Metropolis voters for making this easy for me. The instrumental sections in ACOS (minus the great JP guitar solo toward the end) keep it from being top 5 DT for me. Meh solos and low effort riffing. Everything around it is top tier DT though.

15. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Dad Rock connoisseur extraordinaire

Metropolis is out? Of these three? :nuts2:

Learning to Live. LEARNING TO LIVE.

DIE, LTL! DIE AND FU**ING ROT! SO*DING, CU*TING SH*TE!

[​IMG]

16. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Two very worthy contenders, but ACOS is in a class all by itself.

17. Night Prowler

How did ACOS get from being tied for elimination with Octavarium to destroying both Metropolis and LTL?

18. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Don't ask questions, Evil Abed, they lead to The Dark Side.

19. Night Prowler

Vote if you haven't, because this is ending tonight, albums game is starting and also...
    Sabaton starts...

Collin likes this.
  20. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

Ew, don't spoil the finale of the Dream Theater survivor by mentioning an abomination.

:p

The Flash likes this.