Dream Theater Survivor 2013: Results Thread - A Change of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Surrounded
6:00
Voices

Two thoughts.
- It seems the votes for DT are more varied than the Maiden Survivor. I guess they are open to wider interpretation, considering every song is basically 6 songs. :)
- What happens when we get to SDOIT? Are you counting the title track as one song or dividing it by sections?

- It seems the votes for DT are more varied than the Maiden Survivor. I guess they are open to wider interpretation, considering every song is basically 6 songs. :)
It's weird, I find DT fans to be less polarized with their material, except on this forum. Iron Maiden's worst material usually isn't awful and you're bound to find people who really like that stuff. Their average stuff is even more divisive. On the other hand, there seems to be a fine line with Dream Theater between the good stuff and the bad stuff. You'd have a hard time finding someone who hates Metropolis while you'd also have a hard time finding someone who likes You Not Me. On the other hand, you get people who think Hallowed is overrated while you'll also find crazies who think Hooks in You is one rocking tune.

But on this forum, it's different with Dream Theater. You would never see a vote for Take the Time or Surrounded on a Dream Theater forum. Those are pretty much universally loved by the hardcore fans. Space Dye Vest would've also made it to the finals, hell it could very well win the whole game on a DT forum. Goes for the new album too, some of the most negative reviews I've read are on this forum, everyone else pretty much loves it. It's pretty interesting.

- What happens when we get to SDOIT? Are you counting the title track as one song or dividing it by sections?
One song. I'll probably add Train of Thought at the same time

6:00
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

And definitely not Take the Time, Surrounded or Voices.

It's weird, I find DT fans to be less polarized with their material, except on this forum. Iron Maiden's worst material usually isn't awful and you're bound to find people who really like that stuff. Their average stuff is even more divisive. On the other hand, there seems to be a fine line with Dream Theater between the good stuff and the bad stuff. You'd have a hard time finding someone who hates Metropolis while you'd also have a hard time finding someone who likes You Not Me. On the other hand, you get people who think Hallowed is overrated while you'll also find crazies who think Hooks in You is one rocking tune.

But on this forum, it's different with Dream Theater. You would never see a vote for Take the Time or Surrounded on a Dream Theater forum. Those are pretty much universally loved by the hardcore fans. Space Dye Vest would've also made it to the finals, hell it could very well win the whole game on a DT forum. Goes for the new album too, some of the most negative reviews I've read are on this forum, everyone else pretty much loves it. It's pretty interesting.

...I kinda like You Not Me...

I guess Maiden's draw as a "heavy metal" band is going to naturally draw fans of faster, harder, more upbeat tunes. Dream Theater, as a purely progressive metal band, has a lot of quiet ballads, "pretty" musical sections, and light vocal techniques. It makes sense to me that Maiden fans would vote more along the metal side of things. That said, we do have a lot Rush fans here, so it is still a conundrum.

Personally, I just don't think Surrounded is all that great. I prefer heavier Dream Theater (for the most part), but I also think some of their light ballads/poppier songs are incredible. Two of those have already been eliminated (Another Day and Silent Man).

I've got to catch up listening to the 2000's material so that I can keep voting! I currently shun everything between Train of Thought and the s/t.

And definitely not Take the Time, Surrounded or Voices.

I do love Take the Time. :D

Eliminated:
Lie
Lifting Shadows

Falling Into Infinity joins the battle!

Listened to the album once, I did not like Anna Lee and You Not Me so that's all I'll vote for now. I'm sure If I listened to it again there'd be more.
Also Caught in a Web

What are those bottom five? o_O
Songs from the FII demo. The band originally intended for it to be a double album, including a 20 minute sequel to Metropolis. The label wouldn't let them do this, so these 5 songs were cut and Metropolis obviously got its own album. The Falling Into Infinity Demos is supposed to be a good representation of how the album was originally intended to sound.

Last edited:
Eliminated:
You Not Me
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

Eliminated:
Burning My Soul
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used To Be
Cover My Eyes
Speak to Me

Take the Time