Dragonforce are good but they suck live!

Thanks Helphyre! I'm so picking that up! I was very excited over his appearance in Avantasia's The Scarecrow and from what I heard i can agree with you point.

Glad I could be useful. New Era is the second best power metal album I've heard this year after Pyramaze's Immortal. It's nothing new or groundbreaking but it's a consistently solid album with some impressive talent involved (including Tobias Sammet on a few tracks.)

So, sorry to bump an "older" thread but I got DragonForce's latest album, Ultra Beatdown, this weekend. Maybe it's my age and I don't delve so much into how people sing, what notes they hit, how the music is produced, etc. as I used to (Couldn't care less at this point, actually); but I am really enjoying this album and will probably check out their other albums as well.

The highlight of the album is The Last Journey Home; I think this song is phenomenal and probably the best new song I've heard this year.

The album is very good but my criticisms are the same as what were mentioned earlier: it is a bit repetitive and the copious use of double bass is really unnecessary. If you put all the technical bullshit aside though and just put the album in, slam a few beers and shoot some pool, it's very entertaining to listen to.

Exactly, so long as you don't take the band too seriously and don't mind the repetition Dragonforce can be a lot of fun. The music only gets annoying once you get two albums and realize it's all the same.

Exactly, so long as you don't take the band too seriously and don't mind the repetition Dragonforce can be a lot of fun. The music only gets annoying once you get two albums and realize it's all the same.

Well, I'm going to get another one of their albums and see how annoyed I get. Like Onhell, I love Helloween and hell yes, these guys are unquestionably influenced by them.

Then you might also like Stratovarius (specially from Fourth Dimension on until Elements Pt. 1), Edguy, Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall

Onhell said:
Then you might also like Stratovarius (specially from Fourth Dimension on until Elements Pt. 1), Edguy, Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall
Stratovarius keyboard player Jens Johansson is brilliant. The Yngwie Malmsteen of keyboard (he also played on a few Yngwie albums). He's Hammerfall's drummer's brother too.

If you like Helloween, don't forget Iron Savior & (of course) Gamma Ray. Both bands came from the roots of Helloween.

Iron Savior's first couple of albums (especially the 2nd "Unification" and the 1st) are very recommendable imo.

Check out these Iron Savior tracks and don't headbang with a full glass of beer.  :ok:

Don't mind the unofficial clips - it's the music that counts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLueYg8k8s8 (this song kicks most other power/speed metal songs to oblivion) with good old Thomen "the Omen" Stauch on drums (ex Blind Guardian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lha0m7kUru8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpovE6oBU5U

They have way more cool tracks, these were just three random picks. Enjoy!

Fantastic! I will check them out. One question however, do their singers sound like Cookie Monster or castrated boys from Vienna? I can't stand the former, the latter is good to go.

Nope. Iron Savior's singer (and bandleader/guitarist) has a pretty good voice. Check it out and you'll learn soon enough.

I'm going to Dragonforce's gig next March.  I really couldn't care less about them really, but their opener is Turisas, a great Finnish band, and all my friends are going so I might as well.  I've tried to get into Dragonforce, downloaded their newest album even, but I really can't stand it.  I like power metal, and Helloween and Gamma Ray are among my favourite bands, but I just can't listen to more than a few songs of Dragonforce in one go.  So I'm just going to that gig to hang out with friends and probably get pretty drunk.  I don't really mind how well they'll play, I never really pay attention to technical performance anyway at gigs.

sorry Forostar.I know us older guys should stick together, but I can't warm to Dragonforce at all.I know they seem technically proficient, but the posing/cheesiness puts me off.i much prefer the likes of Charger or Iron Monkey(rip).They may not be as technical, but they came from the gutter and dont give a crap!

My musical tastes have definately become more extreme over the years.I used to love Judas Priest for example until they appeared on Top of the Pops with "Hell Bent for Leather"

Kopfanatic said:
i much prefer the likes of Charger or Iron Monkey(rip).
Have you listened to Raging Speedhorn? I'm not that familiar with Iron Monkey (or even less so with Charger) but I have heard that Speedhorn are sometimes thrown into the same mixer as Iron Monkey. Good band, in my opinion.

Raging Speedhorn are ok.However Iron Monkey and Charger are heavier and nastier, particularly Charger.Try listening to "Spill Your Guts". The first Track "This is our Black Sabbath" is pretty Doomy, The rest of the album absolutely rages. As an alternative try Terrifyer by Pig Destroyer.The sound isn't as thick ,but again it rages and the riffs are great.

The only problem with some of these bands are the vocals, but I don't think this type of music would suit any other vocal style

Kopfanatic said:
sorry Forostar.I know us older guys should stick together, but I can't warm to Dragonforce at all.

Hey mate, I never stated that I liked this band. In fact I have never spent a word about them. I disregard them because I grew up with the older (and imo better) bands. :)

From the stuff I heard I kind of agree with you, but I admit that I haven't heard many tracks yet.
I saw some live clips on internet and it looks more like cabaret or circus instead of a serious concert. :)

but I just can't listen to more than a few songs of Dragonforce in one go.

I'm starting to notice that. I can't do that now either and it's been less than a week.

Thank fuck you included Tales of the Bold there Foro, my favourite Iron Saviour song. I'm not all that wild on them overall, but they do have some great moments, including about half, if not more, of Condition Red. Titains of Our Time is also a stellar one, which I recommend you all check out.

Regarding Dragonforce, I've said all I have to in the old thread, but they're shit on CD and shit live. I was into them when only Valley of the Damned was originally out, and have seen them twice, but they're really awful whatever way you look at it.

Back