DJMayes' Complete Ranking Of Maiden Songs

Which song will win?

• Run To The Hills

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Childhood's End is such a dull song, I don't care what album it's on.

125 - 121:

125 - New Frontier

In a lot of cases, it's fairly easy to tell which songs are written by whom. In this case, however, it's not immediately obvious that this, of all songs, is the one written by Nicko. Indeed, the song lyrics are the only real giveaway, because this feels like a fairly standard Maiden song the whole way through. I don't think any of the song is standout, but the part which comes closest is probably the chorus. Otherwise, it's very safe. I don't use this as so much of a pejorative, because it means this song doesn't really damage the album it's on, but it doesn't take any risks that might have made it more interesting in the long run.

Speaking of the album, I love Dance of Death. It's my 3rd favourite album Maiden have ever done, and I'll be surprised if this position ever drops. It contains not just one but two stellar epics, a couple of wonderful short songs to start off with, several underrated gems such as Face in the Sand and No More Lies is pretty good too. Even the songs I view most as fillers to the album (this song and Gates of Tomorrow) are great fun.

124 - Justice of the Peace

This is another song I wish had been included in the X Factor album. Whilst it's not the stellar Futureal, this is one of the better examples of a short song from Blaze's tenure in the band. The song has an understated chorus, letting the guitar do as much as the vocals. I can only assume this was a B-Side because it didn't fit in with the rest of the album, but I'm glad it saw release in some degree, because whilst it breaks no boundaries it is a fun song that makes me appreciate the Blaze era more on the whole.

123 - When Two Worlds Collide

When Two Worlds Collide is a bit less of a safe choice than the ones above. Whereas the above two are just generally solid the entire way through, this song is a bit more uneven. I love the verse - "There are no errors in the calculations" is one of my favourite bits of a verse in the entire album. On the other hand, the chorus of this song is merely passable. On the other hand again, the solos are great, and I appreciate the gallop throughout the song. The ending to the song is not weak persay, but I can understand it being divisive. We see the trademark "Whoa-oa" section, but this is perhaps one of the weakest examples of it in Maiden's catalogue.

122 - Public Enema Number One

This song has been on somewhat of a downward trend for me lately. This is less a case of growing to like the song any less, but other songs moving up to take its place. It's one of the safer ones on the album for me, with an instantly likeable chorus (I really appreciate the guitarwork going on behind it, even if it is relatively simplistic) and verses that go by quickly enough to conceal the fact Bruce isn't singing great on this one. File this in the same folder as the first two songs from today.

121 - Starblind

I have always had the nagging feeling I'm missing the point of this song, because I read nothing but rave reviews about it anywhere I go.

My biggest issue with the song is how busy it feels. It has a lot going on, especially with the guitars. Whilst a lot of people really rate the song for it, which I can get behind, I find it gets too much. For me to really appreciate all of the intricate guitar stuff that's happening, I pretty much have to focus in on the guitar track only, which is missing a lot of the song and leaves me even more confused than usual by the relatively obtuse lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good song - but to me, it's also an advert for why solo sections and verses are usually kept separate, as well as how lucky it is Maiden can have three guitarists without ending up sounding far, far too cluttered in general.

Now that could be a controversial one! My problem with Starblind is more that it once you get past the very thoughtful lyrics, there's not a lot to it beyond creating atmosphere. Musically I don't find it very memorable. I'd still have it in the top 100, though.

Outside the top 100? Come on now.

The only reason for this convention is to keep people who don't like guitar soloing happy.

Atmosphere is good. Very underrated.

Would anyone not, besides DJMayes? :p

Perhaps hyperbolic but I think the point I was looking to make is clear - I think the song is too busy and suffers for it.

I don't think this song is underrated. As you said, not many people would put it outside their top 100. Given the amount of times I've claimed that this song is the exact opposite though, my placing shouldn't be too surprising. Brigantium said it best - this one is obviously a controversial one because it's so popular here.

You mean i'm not the only one who have Dance of Death on the Top Five?
I'll throw my two cents here: The Alchemist is better than Starblind. But Starblind is better than The Man Who Would Be King, which is yet to appear.

Good to see some justice to Justice of the Peace too. It's a awesome short rocker, it would fit nicely in the album (specially if thrown between Judgement of Heaven and Edge of Darkness, in the middle of the longer songs). Although i love the guitar parts in 2 A.M, i would drop if to fit Justice of the Peace

DJMayes' album order of first appearance
01) No Prayer for the Dying (least favourite song: Mother Russia, 160)
02) The X-Factor (least favourite song: Blood on the World's Hands, 159)
03) Powerslave (least favourite song: The Duellists, 158)
04) The Number of the Beast (least favourite song: Gangland, 156)
05) Brave New World (least favourite song: The Nomad, 154)
06) Killers (least favourite song: Innocent Exile, 150)
07) Piece of Mind (least favourite song: Quest for Fire, 149)
08) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (least favourite song: The Prophecy, 148)
09) Iron Maiden (least favourite song: Running Free, 146)
10) The Final Frontier (least favourite song: Isle of Avalon, 143)
11) Fear of the Dark (least favourite song: Fear is the Key, 139)
12) A Matter of Life and Death (least favourite song: The Legacy, 136)
13) Virtual XI (least favourite song: Como Estais Amigos, 127)
14) Dance of Death (least favourite song: New Frontier, 125)

DJMayes' non-album song* order of appearance
01) Invasion, 153
02) Virus, 151

03) Burning Ambition, 135
04) I Live My Way, 132
05) Justice of the Peace, 124

*from a group of six

It's been years since I've done a Maiden list of song preference but Starblind is Top 5 without question.

My problem with Starblind is more that it once you get past the very thoughtful lyrics, there's not a lot to it beyond creating atmosphere. Musically I don't find it very memorable

That Adrian guitar lick in the middle of the song is absolutely amazing. Very memorable moment imo.

That Adrian guitar lick in the middle of the song is absolutely amazing. Very memorable moment imo.

This. Unforgettable.

To be honest, this ranking doesn't surprise me, even though the song is probably in my personal top ten.
I am surprised this song is as popular as it is on the forum.
It gets no love at all from the band, or the media, or my Maiden-fan friends outside the forum.

Probably because Starblind is a very un-Maiden song. It's pretty much a prog song with psychedelic rock elements. The long, poem like verses are a rarity for Maiden as well.

It's been years since I've done a Maiden list of song preference but Starblind is Top 5 without question.

Sorry, I find that meandering and more background scenery than a stand-out moment.

I love the amount of discussion this has generated, and am almost sad that it's potentially the most controversial thing I have coming up. Nonetheless, the list marches inexorably on. We're a quarter of the way there now!

#120-116:

120 - Strange World

Strange World instantly reminds me of Dave Murray, even though it was apparently not written by him. Compared to the aggression of the majority of the rest of the album, this song is incredibly mellow. That's not a bad thing, as it provides a welcome break in the middle of the album and is an early sign that Maiden isn't a one trick pony. It's not my favourite style of song - this sort of almost psychedelic rock (prevalent in early UFO and Scorpions albums, actually) is one that I really have to be in the mood to properly appreciate. Nonetheless, I consider this song as one of the better examples of the genre - it's much more cohesive, feels like a song rather than a jam, and has some gorgeous guitar work going on.

119 - The Fugitive

I'm never sure if the incredible complexity of this song is a meme amongst this forum, but if not please direct me to the parts in question. For me, this song is pretty standard, although I've always felt it bears resemblance to The Assassin.

I like the sense of progression in this song throughout the first verse and; as with a lot of Fear of the Dark songs, I think this has a pretty decent chorus. The solo section is a comparative let-down, but this is a still fun song that never deserves skipping.

118 - Genghis Khan

Whilst Genghis Khan doesn't entirely follow the book on what makes a great instrumental for me, it still does a lot of things right. Whilst the start is fairly inconspicuous, the song really gets into gear at around 58 seconds, and then follows it up with the obvious highlight of the song - the "Last Resort" riff at 1:46. This is simply a great section, and I'm not even upset that it gets reused again in other Iron Maiden songs because it's a great section.

117 - Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies is the first Blaze Bayley track I have ever heard, and I think it is a good introduction. This song has a great energy to it, with some standout vocal moments ("I don't care for this world anymore", etc.) that convinced me to properly listen to Maiden's albums without Bruce. To this degree, I think the song is a standout success, and in any event it's one of the better songs from this album.
On top of the aforementioned moments, this is one of the best choruses on the album, with the transition from the "Whoa-oa" section into the final chorus nothing short of superb.

I've heaped a lot of praise on this song, which may make the placement here seem surprising. The reason behind the placement is that, while I have somewhat of a soft spot for this as it convinced me to properly explore a quarter of Maiden's discography, it has been overtaken by their other songs, and doesn't compare to the upper end of the body of work with Bruce in the band in any case.

116 - Fates Warning

I've actually wanted to rate this song beforehand, but every time feel as if I'm doing it a disservice, because it's a really good song. After an intro that makes me think this song would've fit fine on Somewhere In Time, this gets going with some very aggressive bass, a great verse and follows it up with a pretty catchy chorus. Indeed, I would love to hear No Prayer for the Dying rerecorded with better production and singing from Bruce if only for this song alone, because I think it would find itself shooting up this list.

Last edited:
Strange World is the sort of oddball song I consider instantly recognisable as one penned by Dave Murray.
It seems it has been credited to Steve Harris alone though. However, the lyrics have been said to be penned by Paul Day (I think the first singer said so on his FB page not so long ago). EDIT: as well as "Charlotte the Harlot" (by the way, Dave said he never wrote any lyrics whatsoever).

As regards "Strange World", the ideal version of it would contain the 1st solo of the album version and the second one from the Soundhouse Tapes. It makes me looking forward to hearing (one day perhaps) Dave Murray playing the blues on a solo album of his.

@Forostar : as regards your list, "Twilight Zone", "Total Eclipse" and "Sanctuary" (not mentioned yet I think) are non-album songs too. ;)

Last edited:
It seems it has been credited to Steve Harris alone though. However, the lyrics have been said to be penned by Paul Day (I think the first singer said so on his FB page not so long ago).

Thanks for the fix. I could've sworn this was Dave but I'll edit this in.

#115 - 111:

115 - Gates of Tomorrow

Gates of Tomorrow is Dance of Death's second foray into safe yet enjoyable filler music. From the get go, it has a simple yet energetic riff that gives way to the verses. These are probably the songs weakest section, but enjoyable enough nonetheless. The transition between the verse and chorus is a nice section, and the chorus itself reminds me of a Dream Theater song (I believe off the Awake album, but I cannot remember the name).

114 - Judgement Day

As with Justice of the Peace, I am never sure why this didn't make the album cut. From the get go, this song is a promising one with a great riff. Somewhat like I Live My Way, this riff is the recognisable part of the song, and the best part of the verses and choruses to follow. To some extent I prefer the main body of Justice of the Peace to this song, but where this song really wins is with its frenetic solo. I am victim to generally (though not always) preferring fast-paced solos, and this song doesn't disappoint.

113 - The Pilgrim

A Matter of Life and Death is an album I appreciate more for its consistency and atmosphere rather than specific standout moments, and this song is no exception. It's the sort of song I have a lot of difficulty recalling beyond the chorus (a strong one, I concede) but I don't know why, because I never skip it.

If I have a qualm, it's the section from 4:20 onwards which perhaps feels unnecessary. With some slight trimming I could easily have seen this as a single.

112 - Remember Tomorrow

Between all the live classics from this album, it's easy to forget that it also had some interesting songs that never got the same spotlight. Remember Tomorrow is one that eschews the early Maiden formula in a memorable fashion. This is a haunting tune, with great verses and a killer chorus. Indeed, it is such that the sudden pre-solo transition chorus feels almost too abrupt.

Indeed, as I type this I do wonder slightly why I have placed it relatively low. To be honest I don't find myself listening to this one too much, and like Strange World it feels like more of a "mood" song that is not as easily accessible as something like Sanctuary.

111 - The Angel and the Gambler

It makes an appearance! I've always felt sorry for this song, because it's a pretty interesting piece of music (Iron Maiden meets The Who) that is unfortunately marred by..., well, you know what.

I've never been too worried about the never-ending chorus, so this affects me less than most other listeners. It's easy to sing along to, is one of the songs that feels like it fits Blaze's voice (perhaps because of the similarities to The Who, a band whom Blaze can cover very well), and fairly easy to switch off from. Moreover, I think the music beneath it is interesting, and (unlike the singing) is constantly progressing throughout the song. Perhaps the single version improves things, though I must confess to having never listened to it as this one does me fine. The fact that this was chosen as a single over Futureal will never sit well with me though.

This is only the first of several songs that most people hate which I have a soft spot for. However, this is the only one I'd characterise as a guilty pleasure. The other classic "duds" feel controversial but not necessarily badly written, whilst even I will not try to pretend that the amount of times the chorus of this is repeated is a masterstroke of songwriting.

Back