DJ or Live Band

Would you rather listen to a DJ or a live band?

• D.J.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live Band

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Wästed The Great

Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude
Staff member
It's Friday night, you don't have to work tomorrow, you have $50 (or whatever that may equal) to spend and it's time for a night out!  When you are with your mates, would you rather head to a nightclub (pub, bar, etc) that has a DJ spinning discs or to one that has a live band?

I'd rather see a live band, every time.  Just curious as to what everyone else thinks. 

I have that situation every other weekend (sans the 50 bucks, of course), and it really depends. Who's going where, what band it is and what the general mood is... although it often enough ends up being the live band first and the DJ afterwards. But obviously, I prefer the live band.

More often than not, if I was to go somewhere and have loud music pounding out, it will have to be a live band. I hate going to a place that has loud music and nothing but some bozo in the corner of the room spinning records. So what do you do then? You talk with people. But you can't hear them as the music is too loud - and quite often complete rubbish (crap music is made worse when played loud). If I wanted to do something like that, I'll go to a pub. If that makes me sound old and grumpy, then so be it. Don't get me wrong, I like my music loud - so long as I choose what to play, but a live act is a live act and it can be as loud as humanly possible. :D

Funnily enough though, my first ever concert experience was a DJ (Neal Kay) as the only support to a live band (Maiden).

I kinda have this theory, that most of the people on this forum would like a live band better; I think its because music is so much better when it feels alive.  And it there is something about hearing a band play something and have it sound good-- an accomplishment.  That's one reason I really like live music, is that there is a chance they could fuck it up, but when they get it right, it is awesome... sort of like when I finally got to hear Rime live, it sent chills up and down my back-- that doesn't happen when I hear it on powerslave.

I have to admit though that I can have a hell of a lot of fun on the dance floor with old and recent classics by Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth et al. I've spent hours doing that. It's not the same thing as seeing them live, but... sometimes, I just want to grab a beer, join the pit and bang my head.

Oh, sure, don't get me wrong; listening to 'canned' music can be a good time.  But, I don't get out as often as I'd like to-- in that regard, I'll make an effort to see a band when I can.

Live band.
Although, this is the way it works in MK:

"Okay, lets go out tonight. What bands are on? Okay, lets check out our biggest music venue, the Pitz. Oh Screamo, with Death Metal Supports. Okay, lets skip that. The Stables? Jazz. Sno!Bar? Screamo, Ambient Post-Hardcore-dub-hardcore-pre-punk-Screamo-Death Metal supports. Skip that one too.

Okay, so what about a club? Lloyds? Budda Blue? Oceana.....um, no. All R&B and Hip-Hop, no "decent" indie music being played.....

Stay in? Yeah, lets do that."

Back