Disturbing Maiden theory

If they really were in for the money, they would've played Montreal instead of Quebec City for the early days tour. The Bell Centre(MTL) must be twice the size of the Colissé(QC)

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Aug 12 2005, 05:39 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Aug 12 2005, 05:39 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My point is that Iron Maiden might just be in this for the money, and since they make 10x the profit from a show in Europe as they do from a show in the States/small city, the choose to play those.
[snapback]115169[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree with you partially but at one point in your discussion you had said "only for the money". My point was that they do go out of their way to do shows for the fans that, while being larger markets and therefore economically and physically possible, would not be as 'profitable' as to make it worth it only "for the money". Clearly they are making an extra effort to reach the areas where they have the most fan support i.e. Canada and French Canada in particular.

From previous posts, Iron Maiden's (at least Bruce's) complaint about US fans is their complacent attitude. Up here in the metal north you and I take it for granted that fans are rabid [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] But he never said anything about the tours not being worth the money or anything like that. In their hay day 80's they were still playing Hammersmith (multiple nights) which only holds about 6,000 people, when they were able to fill stadiums and open air festivals across Europe.

I was lucky enough to see them at Hammersmith (yes all the way from Canada) for the last show of the 7th Son tour 12/12/88 and I must say that seeing Maiden tear down Hammersmith is a bonified religious experience!

You would have loved the show. [span style=\'color:eek:range\']Killer Dwarfs[/span] from Canada opened! I had no idea they were opening for Maiden and they did a kick ass show. Being the last show of the tour there was much interaction between Maiden and the Dwarves during both their sets. Maiden running out and having a cream pie fight during the Dwarfs opening set. And the Dwarfs running out during Maiden's set (during the slow part of '7th Son') and dancing around a tiny stonehenge that the crew lowered from the ceiling. "Today there fell a Killer Dwarf.." Bruce improvised, changing the lyrics as he threw one of the Dwarves into the swarming Hammersmith crowd.

Hrmmm, speaking of digressing...

Anyway I do agree that it is a shame Maiden doesn't tour North Amerca more extensively. And certainly finances play a part in that. But I think they go out of their way enough for their fans all over the world that we know it isn't, and never was, for the money.

I just watched Early Days Pt. 1 before going to the Toronto show. And watching all the old footage of Steve struggling to get Maiden going through all sorts of trouble and musicians and sets backs. And to watch him just slay in Toronto singing along to every lyric, hanging over the fans the whole show, fingers flying on the bass, never once turning his back on the crowd and realizing he is going to be '17' for-fucking-ever, man there was nothing like that show.

I gotta go now before I start to cry. [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Mahlon

In the original draft of this post I had written on the top "This isn't something I'm inclined to believe, but the thought entered my head when browsing the Anti-American topic the other day"

not trying to back-peddal or anything, but I really don't think there's much merit to my theory. There are hundreds of other reasons why IM doesn't play certain cities, EdintheHead and Perun outlined just a few of them.

There's also the fact that the band has little actual say in where the play - it's 99% up to the promoters

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Aug 12 2005, 08:55 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Aug 12 2005, 08:55 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In the original draft of this post I had written on the top "This isn't something I'm inclined to believe, but the thought entered my head when browsing the Anti-American topic the other day"
[snapback]115241[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Yes and you did qualify with "perhaps" and "I'm probably going to get flamed for this"

[!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--][!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Up the irons, mate!

Mahlon

I'll add this, metal bands in general don't play north america because people don't listen to metal anymore.... excpet for me and SMX [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Aug 12 2005, 06:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Aug 12 2005, 06:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'll add this, metal bands in general don't play north america because people don't listen to metal anymore.... excpet for me and SMX [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]115264[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Bullshit. Maybe not the same people that listened to metal in the 80's, but metal has a terrific following in high schools and colleges over here - people who make up the majority of rock concert attendees anyway. We're not *all* brainwashed by MTV, you know.

[!--QuoteBegin-Anarchy in the USA+Aug 12 2005, 10:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Anarchy in the USA @ Aug 12 2005, 10:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]We're not *all* brainwashed by MTV, you know.
[snapback]115266[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Probably not, but you lack a certain amount of humour...

Of course we lack "humour" - that's because here in the USA, we spell it "humor". We don't have time for frivolous u's. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Anarchy in the USA+Aug 12 2005, 10:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Anarchy in the USA @ Aug 12 2005, 10:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bullshit. Maybe not the same people that listened to metal in the 80's, but metal has a terrific following in high schools and colleges over here - people who make up the majority of rock concert attendees anyway. We're not *all* brainwashed by MTV, you know.
[snapback]115266[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I'll give you a break this time 'cuse you're new, but since you didn't notice I'll spell it out for you, I wasn't serious. Since you want proof of this I'll say the following.

Century Media considered the selling of 500,000 copies of Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings a success. Where did Iced Earth record their live album? Not in the U.S but in Greece.
Blind Guardian's 14min +"...And then There Was Silence" single from their "A Night at the Opera" CD went number one in Europe and in the U.S not a splash. Bottom line, high schools and Colleges (about 30% of the countries population, or a little more) is not enough to say metal has a big following in the United States.

I attended Maiden's Brave New World tour and it was one of the most mellow crowds ever. My friend went to the same tour in Mexico City and he said the opposite.

So I agree not "all" are brainwashed by MTV but compare the sales numbers of Brittaney Spears with those of Megadeth, nuff said.

If I see any more people dissing Maiden in any respect, I'm going to get angry.

Effing idiots, if you aren't all for Maiden, get the eff out.

Rotters, you've seen the hand of God, and you deny it?

Cheers to all true Maiden heads.

Up the Irons!

PS

Certainly there isn't a whole lotta money for Maiden in Denver at a venue where only 15,000 fans can find accomodation:

They are there because we love them and they know it.

Iron Maiden will never die, as long as my sons and their sons continue to make sons. (and daughters, she'll jam down to any Maiden, any time, and she's only eleven years on)

[!--QuoteBegin-lichen+Aug 16 2005, 02:01 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lichen @ Aug 16 2005, 02:01 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If I see any more people dissing Maiden in any respect, I'm going to get angry.

Rotters, you've seen the hand of God, and you deny it?

Cheers to all true Maiden heads.

Up the Irons!
PS

Certainly there isn't a whole lotta money for Maiden in Denver at a venue where only 15,000 fans can find accomodation:

They are there because we love them and they know it.

Iron Maiden will never die, as long as my sons and their sons continue to make sons. (and daughters, she'll jam down to any Maiden, any time, and she's only eleven years on)
[snapback]115510[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Why would we care if you get angry? Your emotional condition has absolutely no baring on what I, or anyone else, choose to post, nor should it. This is a forum in which we discuss all aspects of Iron Maiden, good and bad. We are not all die-hard fanatics here.
Iron Maiden, in Bruce Dickinson's own words, is about the "freedom to think for yourself." Blind devotion, in other words, is contrary to the purpose of Iron Maiden.

Since you're new here, we'll excuse this incident as a spout of newbieness. Please read the thread dedicated to people new to these forums. You might get something out of it and begin to understand the kind of community we have here.
As for your children getting into Iron maiden, I think that's wonderful. Much better for them than the meaningless crap most kids listen to these days.

Yes, today I was thinking about what I said above. Apologies to all.

Actually, I have a lot of experience on the net, debating things, if you will, and even if you win an internet debate, you're still retarted [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

However, while I cannot expect anyone to care about my emotional explosions, I am angry anyway. I said "I'm going to get angry", but in fact, I already was.

I understand perfectly what Maiden is about; I didn't understand what this forum is about. Still don't.

I am a Maiden fan. Plain and simple. For me, there is no other band that even comes close. It's very nearly my religion, if I have one. I say nearly because it cannot be, but it's the closest anything comes.

I suppose I thought 'maiden fan forum' might be a place where I could become silly and rub elbows with fellow fans with abandon and in glee.

I find it's not nearly so.

I, too, do not think every track ever made by them is heavenly, some of them are not. But, again for me, even the lowliest Maiden jam ranks high in the spectrum to one degree or another. Their work is superlative and unique, and most of it is among the best, most intriguing music ever written.

It is not simply a matter of music, though. It's ideas, it is feeling and passion and the exploration of the soul and the senses and of life itself. It is also the exploration of God and of the very meaning of life. Too, Maiden has always honored the greatest men, events, and achievements in the history of Mankind, exploring generals, wars, religions, morality, the very highest among the aspirations men and women strive for, such as distance running, swordfighting, fighter plane piloting. Maiden has explored the thoughts of men dying on the field of battle, men waiting expectantly for the depth charges to fall, men who hunt other men, men who defend their homes, men who view the world through modern media, and men who die invading other men's homes.

They explore the afterlife, contemplate infinity and magic and demons and Hell and God and Jesus and Satan and a lonely man alone in his apartment. They put you high on a snowy mountain, aloft in a bomber, and dead on a battlefield, and they couch it in terms the most critical musician appreciates.

They are inspired musicians, skillful in their work, and they are dedicated poets, thoughtful men who have high ideals, and artfully, they weave their spell.

I know of no other group of partners who have striven together so succesfully and for so long, achieving what they perhaps did not aspire to: devotion bordering on mania. At any Maiden live show, the fans go absolutely wild. And they stare about at some who are not fans, and cannot understand why this can be so.

But people are made differently, and some people do not like chocolate or sugar or marijuana or ice cream or beefsteak or mushrooms or fast cars or high mountains or wide plains or rap music or Jazz or Mozart or the smell of rain on the pavement, whereas other people do.

Maiden for me, even if not for you.

[!--QuoteBegin-lichen+Aug 17 2005, 02:40 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lichen @ Aug 17 2005, 02:40 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Yes, today I was thinking about what I said above. Apologies to all.

Actually, I have a lot of experience on the net, debating things, if you will, and even if you win an internet debate, you're still retarted [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[/quote]

Only if you were one to begin with... so speak for yourself

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Maiden for me, even if not for you.
[snapback]115632[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't see you having any of the experience on the net that you talk about since you obviously haven't read any of the forums for newcomers those being [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=3984\' target=\'_blank\']this one[/a], [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=5446\' target=\'_blank\']this one[/a] and [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=4663\' target=\'_blank\']this one[/a] all these being threads where you learn what this site is about so you can't claim ignorance of our ways, some simple commandments and where you can introduce yourself respectively.

This IS a maiden fan site, just one where the fan can think, unlike the official maiden bb. PLEASE, READ ALL DISCLAIMERS AND INFORMATION before posting stuff like that above.
Thank you

I really don't give a damn what you think about 'stuff like that above'.

Perhaps I am the only true Maiden fan on the planet after all?

Puhleeeez!

Or, did you really read my Maiden tribute? I think not.

Maybe my 'attitude' will get me kicked off this forum? Well, perhaps so. But if this is to be the case, then the very name of the forum here needs to be changed to 'Maidenfansbashers.com' or perhaps 'maidenfansdestroyers.com' or 'maidenfanspunters.com'.

All kidding aside (and my wife says that perhaps I am a bit blunt) I have striven, above, to write an Iron Maiden tribute that will, hopefully, help the honorable Members Of Old here to understand my brash speech and deplorable attitude, and I am certain that somewhere, sometime, it will be appreciated by someone other than my illustrious proofreader who said it is among the best things she has ever read.

Up the effing Irons!!

Alright everyone, listen up:

CHILL THE F**K OUT ALREADY.

Let's examine the situation rationally. It seems the following quote is the source of the problem:
[!--QuoteBegin-lichen+Aug 15 2005, 11:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lichen @ Aug 15 2005, 11:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If I see any more people dissing Maiden in any respect, I'm going to get angry.
[snapback]115510[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The following statement is intended mostly for lichen's benefit, but other forum newcomers may also be interested:

At times in the past, we've had threads about "what's your least favorite Maiden song" or the like. Sometimes this has caused some people to say things like "All Maiden songs are superb, and if you dislike any of them then you're not a real Maiden fan." To which most of us respond, "Being a fan doesn't mean slavishly worshipping every single Maiden song."

This scenario has repeated itself several times. So those of us who've been here for a couple years or more tend to get tired of seeing it happen again and again. When lichen posted the above comment, it happened to be in the style of the idiots who we have previously flamed to oblivion. It seemed like the whole holy war starting up again. That's why the Duke and Onhell jumped down lichen's throat. It was a knee-jerk reaction which has proven in the past to be appropriate.

However, lichen apologized and explained himself in the next post. I personally thought his explanation was articulate and atoned fully for his prior post. I particularly saw his final two paragraphs as saying, "This is my opinion; you are likewise entitled to yours." Was I the only one who saw this?

So let's all just relax a bit. Yes, lichen made an inflammatory post, but what longtimer here hasn't? He has apologized, so give the guy a break already.

Let's get back to discussing how Maiden are a bunch of money-grubbing jerks who won't play Halifax. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Aug 17 2005, 04:32 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Aug 17 2005, 04:32 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]

However, lichen apologized and explained himself in the next post. I personally thought his explanation was articulate and atoned fully for his prior post. I particularly saw his final two paragraphs as saying, "This is my opinion; you are likewise entitled to yours." Was I the only one who saw this?

[snapback]115636[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yes you were, but for the name of keeping the thread on track I too apologize for the anal reply and yes maiden are money-grubbin' bastards. BASTARDS I TELL YOU

An enjoyable read. You must admit that lichen did fire up the debate, which is a thing I always like. Not bad for a newbie.
I also like emotional people with a brain. Another point for lichen (judging by what he wrote here).
I have said this before and will say it again. I like to think of this forum as a place with unusally high concentration of people with a heart AND a brain. The two are not mutually exclusive. You can be critical and loving at the same time. You can love Maiden and still discuss various aspects of their work and carrier.
I like to think of the world as a colourful place, instead of a black and white place. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Lichen, great post. If you keep them like that, you'll fit in very well here.

As for everything else: I'm regretting ever making this thread. Can't we all just get along!

The new topic of this post will be dancing bananas:

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Discuss!

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Aug 17 2005, 02:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Aug 17 2005, 02:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Can't we all just get along!
[snapback]115664[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Yes we can. But I enjoyed the thread [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

When they would play in Halifax instead of Gothenburg, they would play to 10000 people instead of 60000. Thats a difference of 50000 people. Now all Fans that couldn't see them in Gothenburg would also get very pissed, but there would be more pissed people than there are now.

Back