1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Or Glory

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Death or Glory on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

11.1%
  2. 9

20.0%
  3. 8

17.8%
  4. 7

24.4%
  5. 6

11.1%
  6. 5

11.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

2.2%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.2%
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Now that we don't have to worry about spoilers, I can add this: my criticism on the energy is on the album only. This one really comes to life live.

Agreed with Mckindog. This is the closest thing the band has written to an 80's classic since the 80's. Wish I could hear 1983 Maiden do this, with a younger Bruce and Martin Birch production.

Brigantium likes this.
  2. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Im going to give it a 5. I cant even remember how it goes since I never listen to disc 2 aside from Empire.

Death or Glory is a really good Clash song.

3. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

I can't remember how tunes go that I don't listen to. Good story.

Aces_High and Bombusbombus like this.
  4. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I'm excited to see how far they will take the monkey thing next year. Hope they all dress up as monkeys, or there's a giant monkey Eddie. Maybe banana shaped guitars for all, or banana costumes. Hopefully all of that.

Forostar and DJMayes like this.
  5. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

That's not going to happen. At best you might get Adrian dressed up as a monkey.

6. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

It's Aces High but more readily singable for Older Bruce. ;)

7. The Mid-Distance Runner

The Mid-Distance Runner Climb like a lemur!!

...and with the best solos Dave and Adrian have played back to back together on a "rocker" since The Number of the Beast (the song).

8. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

With the possible exception of Speed of Light

9. The Mid-Distance Runner

The Mid-Distance Runner Climb like a lemur!!

A very good call...and both songs being from the latest album shows how great the boys are playing these days. A highlight of The Book Of Souls is the quality of the soloing...and the sheer number of solos.

I love it when one solo immediately follows on from another and this happens in 8 of the 11 songs on the album, which could be the highest ratio of "flowing solos" to songs of any release in their catalogue.

Forostar likes this.
  10. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

It's pretty darn good. Climb like a monkey is silly but the band owns it. 7/10.

The riff puts me in mind of what it would feel like to try to control a Fokker Triplane. Heavy and hard as fuck.

11. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Adrian did really well with the shorter songs on this album, this one is a lot of fun and the pre-chorus is really memorable. The chorus is heavy as fuck. And the solos are great yet again. 8/10.

Brigantium likes this.
  12. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Did we really need another song on this general subject :D
    It's fun and the repeated riff is really cool though. It does feel very retro..but If I'm in the mood for something like this I'm going to put Aces High on...

13. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

Fun rocker, not as great as Speed Of Light or other similar tracks, but still enjoyable and high energy. And I mean, who doesn't enjoy a slide solo?

7/10

14. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

9/10

Disc 2 kicks off with a bang as the band revs up for Death or Glory, a Smith/Dickinson barnburner about aerial warfare. It’s another arena-ready live tune that I’m sure will be a staple at many a future gig. The “climb like a monkey” line sounds a bit silly, but it’s an actual quote from the subject of the song - WW1 German fighter pilot The Red Baron. Death or Glory is a swinging, driving tune with a catchy riff, a solid sing-a-long chorus, and a blistering solo duel. It kicks off the second set of tunes rather nicely.

15. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Overall, this song is fairly good. If it was a little faster and more up-beat it'd work a little better, but otherwise it's good. A strong 7/10.

16. Dentura

Dentura Invader

I like the main rhythm of the guitars and drums, very Running Free-esque. It's a decent rocker though I don't think it's as memorable as Speed of Light on the first disc. The melodies sound a little underwhelming and it's not as "singable" for me. Still, not a bad tune by any means. 7.25/10

17. Proper 80's stadium style! Love the monkey mask live, a bit of comedy respite goes a long way for me