1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dance of Death

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2004.

?

How good is Dance of Death on a scale from 1-10?

1. 10

55.0%
  2. 9

30.0%
  3. 8

7.5%
  4. 7

5.0%
  5. 6

2.5%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

It's easy to take the modern Maiden epic for granted because there are so many now and Janick has done many acoustic based epics since DoD, and I think this song has unfortunately been a bit forgotten recently because of that. It is still one of a kind and possibly the best of all the Janick epics. The lyrics can be a bit silly but I think they're actually one of Steve's better efforts. The vocal melodies work excellently and I like that he's telling a more straightforward story here, as opposed to other songs like TRATB or Isle of Avalon which don't have much of a narrative. It's on the shorter side of the modern Maiden epics yet I feel like it has a lot more going on than even longer songs.

Bruce's performance on this is so incredible. This is the sort of song that he was born to sing. He goes all out on the drama and I love it.

So many great guitar melodies and some of my favorite solos from each of the players.

You really feel like you've been on a journey at the end of this one.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  2. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Gers epic #2, and one of the better of the five. Certainly the stand-out favourite until TBOS was released. Note - this is the second time a Gers epic has also been the title track of an album. That means his epics are 50% of the title tracks released since the reunion.

Yes, yes, yes, fucking yes.

10/10.

3. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Love everything about this track. One of their best in terms of structure and progression. It builds brilliantly and abandons the traditional verse, bridge chorus format in favour of something that mounts to a thrilling last half. The 'drink and say a prayer for it' bit with the short riff and backing orchestration is out of this world. Jan is awesome and Bruce puts everything into it. The storytelling is kind of fun but I am tempted to dock a point for the slightly theatrical lyrics. But no it's a

4. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

Got all Maiden Albums on a usb stick. Apart from the useless intro the song sounds amazing. Revisited it a few days ago while getting my father to the hospital

5. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

I love Bruce's performance on this one. Have you heard the vocals only? It's on youtube. Amazingly good.

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

The title track is the older, weirder thematic brother of The Number of the Beast, a storytelling song about a man encountering a mysterious group of demonic figures deep in The Everglades. The Celtic flourishes and rhythm changes enhance the mystical mood of the song. Like No More Lies, Dance of Death establishes this album as a better fit for all three guitarists than Brave New World, with more distinct guitar lines for each player throughout and a stunning solo section. The keyboard orchestra feels complimentary rather than distracting during the Celtic reel of the bridge. Bruce performs as if he is telling the greatest campfire tale of all time. Also, if Nicko isn’t using a double bass pedal during the outro, I’m stunned. Once the whole band comes together this song is a treat and an obvious classic, even if it does sound a bit bouncy and silly.

Cosmiceddie likes this.
  7. One of my favourites, always reminds me of seeing them for the 1st time on this album tour when I was 13 (I want to say December 6th 2003?) in Sheffield

8. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

A massive, brilliant, mesmerizing song. Janick creates a unique atmosphere with his playing and Bruce delivers one of his best performances ever. Love it live as well, it's a really special song. The keyboard does get a bit much though, but I'll let that pass.

10/10

Navigators Ghost likes this.