Crocodile Hunter dies

I was thinking about starting a topic on this accident, but I was more going to go down the lines of the unpredictability of animals and such. The guy had this idea that he was infallible and he knew what to do and how to react to an animal - this you cannot be ever sure of. Any animal, be it a stingray or an elephant, could react in a way you can not be prepared for.

True, he was a great conservationist, but also a bit of a maverick when it came to been in the vicinity of other animals. The dangling of his young child in front of a crocodile is not the best idea he has ever had to get a reaction from the croc.

Still, it is sad.

Albie said:
...a bit of a maverick when it came to been in the vicinity of other animals.

Yep. That's me on the forum alright.  :D

Well, I must say, that I am quite sad that old Stevey is dead.  I may have found him an obnoxious Ozzie twat, but that doesn't change the fact that he was an enthusiastic and well-loved member of the conservation movement.  The fact that he died from what should have been a very safe encounter makes it more bitter.  I hate to see anyone die young, but given the number of close enounters he has had during his career, it doesn't exactly surprise me that he died as a result of some form of bite, scratch or sting.

Still, all together now...
'Crickey!'
:D

RIP Steve.  We may forget you, but we'll always have a roll of tape ready for the croc's mouth. :ok:

I only know him from that movie he did, but I thought that one was fun so R.I.P Steve Irwin.

Bah i feel sorry for his famly, but atleast he died dedicated to his cause :)

Good riddance. That guy took risks and they finally aught up to him. When you tease and toy with dangerous animals (even though you have noble motives) you'll eventually pay the price. It's a fact of nature.
I knew he was a douche when he paraded his infant son in front of an angry crocodile in order to impress a crowd at a zoo.

I feel bad for his kids - not only have they lost their father, they have to live with the knowledge that he didn't love them enough to NOT take stupid risks with his life.

I wouldn't say good ridance... Inevitable more likely as it was his job. What really sucks is that he was killed by a stingray, he would have more street cred if it had been by a croc or lion or the like.

Onhell said:
What really sucks is that he was killed by a stingray, he would have more street cred if it had been by a croc or lion or the like.
From what I've heard lately (the incident was caught on film), he swam over the top of a stingray. And by all accounts, he knew that swimming over the top of a stingray is extremely dangerous - what happened to him is the reason why.

:( It seems that some people may have this notion that revenge must be sought on these "evil" stingrays. One can only hope it is not the case and this is only reported because of the above accident.

Back