Could Mariner be turned into a Movie?

Welsh Phantom said:
Quote from: Forostar on May 06, 2009, 04:34:13 pm
Does someone know who did the voice in the middle part of the song?

I suddenly wonder if it might come from one of those films.

It's the late great fellow Welshy, Richard Burton.

(Married Elizabeth Taylor, twice, if my memory serves me right)

I don't think it's ever been disclosed who did the narration in ROTAM. Something rings a bell that they were after an actor who sounded like Richard Burton (similar to NOTB using an unknown actor with a similar voice to Vincent Price). As Richard Burton died soon before Poweralve was released, it seems unlikely that it was him, though granted a possibility.

national acrobat said:
It's the late great fellow Welshy, Richard Burton.

(Married Elizabeth Taylor, twice, if my memory serves me right)

I don't think it's ever been disclosed who did the narration in ROTAM. Something rings a bell that they were after an actor who sounded like Richard Burton (similar to NOTB using an unknown actor with a similar voice to Vincent Price). As Richard Burton died soon before Poweralve was released, it seems unlikely that it was him, though granted a possibility.

No, it was definatley Richard Burton, I'd recognise his voice anywhere.

A quick search will find he recorded the whole poem for the BBC in 1965.

See here:
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 803AAyXkZS

I would bet my bottom dollar that it is taken from that recording. ;)

This bloke seems to know that it's Burton's voice:

The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner: Steve Harris didn't go to my school. If he had done, he'd have had this poem shoved down his throat constantly in English lessons and been so sick of it he'd never have written this song. But he went somewhere else, and wrote it anyway. It's possibly one of the greatest epic heavy metal songs written: the 1980s version of 'Stairway To Heaven' but about the Ancient Mariner and his lesson about how he should respect life. Lifting from the Richard Burton reading of the poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, it goes through several different musical phases, as one might expect from an Iron Maiden epic.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/music-records/p ... en/175387/

I have not been able to find a recording on the net. So far, however, I have found out that it appeared on a vinyl/cassette compilation of his readings and a "various artists" compilation CD.

Welsh Phantom and Perun: Thanks!  :ok:

That is very interesting (and finally people talk serious in this topic ;) ). Allow me to post that info in the Rime topic as well. I think it even deserves mention in the Commentary (if Mav is convinced it's important enough of course).

It will be very interesting to listen to the entire poem read by read Burton. I'll try finding a recording too!

Back