Contest: Mom's Maiden Mixtape (nice prize included)

There are certainly many more than there were in the 80s/90s for sure, but they still are in the minority (I will note I am basing this on observations from shows I have been to and seeing the crowd shots on the DVDs). I have always been curious why metal in general seems to be more male friendly versus female. I can see Death Metal, but bands like Maiden/Metallica, etc still skew more male than female.
I think I've seen a video where Nicko makes the same observation -- many more ladies at Maiden shows now than before. Still, it is nothing compared to the crowd at the G'n'R show I attended earlier this year. LOTS of women there, close to half the crowd (bonus: a good percentage of them were VERY attractive too). I can't say the same for the Maiden shows I've seen. So, even within the hard rock & metal genre, it really depends on the band.

Alright, I was curious if you disagreed with the female generalization.
I agree with almost all generalizations. About any group. Including WASP men.

In all seriousness, the "biologically attracted" bit was pretty inane, but I do think women are less likely to be metal fans than men -- particularly when the songs are about warfare, murder, death generally, swordfighting, science fiction and airplanes.

LOTS of women there, close to half the crowd (bonus: a good percentage of them were VERY attractive too). I can't say the same for the Maiden shows I've seen.

Wait, wait...Are you implying that there are not many female fans of Maiden at the shows or that those are not good-looking?

I'll tell you what - women like songs about warfare, murder, death and swordfighting. But it very much depends on how these things are presented. Maiden do it it an intelligent way and in a way that does not make anyone feel excluded or patronized. In contrast, not many women would be impressed by the hilarious sexist bragging of Manowar. See the difference?

That's very interesting. Any idea why? Perhaps Maiden was too male-dominated back then?
Maiden's audience has become younger and younger and generally in metal, audiences feature more and more women as well. People who have not observed this should get more up front, where most youth is. It shows most, up there, so I disagree with Sebas.

Wait, wait...Are you implying that there are not many female fans of Maiden at the shows or that those are not good-looking?

I'll tell you what - women like songs about warfare, murder, death and swordfighting. But it very much depends on how these things are presented. Maiden do it it an intelligent way and in a way that does not make anyone feel excluded or patronized. In contrast, not many women would be impressed by the hilarious sexist bragging of Manowar. See the difference?
I was expressly stating that the audience mix was far more male-dominated at the Iron Maiden shows I attended than at the Guns show. But, since you asked, the crowd at the Guns show in Hollywood, men and women, was generally much more attractive than what I typically see at Maiden shows. I've been to a fair number of metal shows in LA, and the Guns crowd was VERY different. Not to say there werent ANY attractive women at the Maiden shows, but overall the difference was striking. I guess it's all subjective according to taste, but I saw a bunch of actress/model types at the Guns show, and you don't really see that at Maiden shows.

women like songs about warfare, murder, death and swordfighting.

Wait, wait...are you suggesting that all, or even most, women like such music? Obviously, you like it. But I respectfully suggest you are in the clear minority, as evidenced by the recent Billboard charts showing One Direction and Taylor Swift as the best selling artists. And, I might add, God bless you for that.

Wait, wait...are you suggesting that all, or even most, women like such music? Obviously, you like it. But I respectfully suggest you are in the clear minority, as evidenced by the recent Billboard charts showing One Direction and Taylor Swift as the best selling artists. And, I might add, God bless you for that.
I'd like to add that I'm also one of those types of women that like such music, thank you very much (and just to be clear, not talking about the One Direction and Taylor Swift part). :D

I was expressly stating that the audience mix was far more male-dominated at the Iron Maiden shows I attended than at the Guns show. But, since you asked, the crowd at the Guns show in Hollywood, men and women, was generally much more attractive than what I typically see at Maiden shows. I've been to a fair number of metal shows in LA, and the Guns crowd was VERY different. Not to say there werent ANY attractive women at the Maiden shows, but overall the difference was striking. I guess it's all subjective according to taste, but I saw a bunch of actress/model types at the Guns show, and you don't really see that at Maiden shows.

I had a pretty similar experience this past summer. We went to see Aerosmith and Cheap Trick (Cheap Trick is fricking awesome live) and there were a ton of women there, the crowd was pretty close to 50/50 men and women. A week later, Maiden was here and the crowd was probably 80-20 men to women.

At a Foo Fighters show, it seemed about 60-40 or 65-35 men

Obviously Aerosmith/Cheap Trick are not metal, but it does seem that women go to more shows that are straight up rock bands and fewer for metal shows.

I did take my daughter to see Falling in Reverse a week or so ago, she is into the "new punk" bands or whatever they call themselves and it was a much younger crowd and had about 60-40 men to women, but I guess the singer is attractive to the women in the crowd, many bras were flung on stage ... so that may have something to do with it.

many bras were flung on stage

Important question: were they extra bras brought to the show for that very purpose, or were they actually worn and then removed at the show? ;)

I'd like to add that I'm also one of those types of women that like such music, thank you very much (and just to be clear, not talking about the One Direction and Taylor Swift part). :D

God bless you too. And Natalie. And Kill Devil Hill. And all the other (undoubtedly lovely) women on this forum with such self-evident good taste in music. No, really. It's great to hear from women who are into this kind of music, precisely because it is not all that common.

EDIT: Incidentally, my six-year-old daughter's favorite songs right now are, in order: 1. We Will Never Ever Get Back Together by Taylor Swift, 2. American Girl by Tom Petty, and 3. Transylvania by Iron Maiden. Go figure.

When I mentioned death and war I wasn't talking about metal at all. I compared Maiden to Manowar as an illustration that one aspect of swordfighting may be completely different than another one. But I meant death and war as a more general subject matter. And yes, I believe that most people - women, children and men, are interested in these things and are even fascinated by them. It's enough to take a look at ancient folklore (which, I admit, is something that you would very rarely find in LA) to see that stories of death have persisted for centuries and are a major aspect of human culture. Similarly, the admiration for bravery and heroism has lasted for thousands of years and I can't say the same about artificial boobs, bleached blonde hair and whatever One Direction is. But I'm sure you are well aware of those things.

I saw one removed
Aha, that's why it looks like they had lots of women out there. You were counting other matters. These calculations are not reliable when you guys constantly stare at the same direction. ;)

Now the following is also generalizing but when someone says "Guns'n'Roses has lots of more women in the crowd than Maiden", then I think "yeah, Bon Jovi too". Duh. In GNR's case, something (or rather someone "dangerous") in particular is attractive to a certain group of women (the groupy type). That's an extra bonus.

I know so many girls who are Maiden fans at my age around me. (my best friend who is a girl is one of them in fact we attended the 2011 Maiden show in Istanbul together and there were other 3 girls with her, too) Actually, I've seen more female fans than I've seen male fans, that's not saying something though, just an observation in my part.

I know so many girls who are Maiden fans at my age around me. (my best friend who is a girl is one of them in fact we attended the 2011 Maiden show in Istanbul together and there were other 3 girls with her, too) Actually, I've seen more female fans than I've seen male fans, that's not saying something though, just an observation in my part.
Lucky bastard. I don't think I ever spoke with a girl who listens to metal. Ever.

OK. I don't think I ever spoke with a girl who listens to metal IN PERSON. :D I have metalhead male friends who know a lot of metalhead females, but I never met one. Sometimes I think it has to be a conspiracy :D

That can be easily fixed. Just ask your friends to introduce you to some of those girls.

Actually, I just remembered I met one few weeks ago. It's my childhood friend whom I haven't seen for 15 years. Bad thing is that her metal is metalcore and she has a boyfriend :p

And just because she has a boyfriend doesn't mean you can't talk to her. Unless her boyfriend is one of those that doesn't like her talking to other guys...which is stupid anyway. ::)

Back