Concert seating

EvilThing

Prowler
I have a bit of a stupid question. I've only seen Maiden once. It was last year in Atlanta and I had a specific seat reserved. This time I have a general admin floor ticket for Nashville. I'm not a member of the fan club but from what I understand they have priority. Typically, how close can someone who is not in the fan club get to the barrier at a North American show?

I would say it is entirely up to you, the time you arrive, and luck. They do favor the fan club members and sometimes hold those "first to the barrier" events, but ruling those out, I'd say as long as you are there early and get inside and to the pit floor ASAP, you would probably have a very good chance of getting up close (since it is basically first come, first serve).

Same here, until I went to a gig in North America. Having said that, I don't know how floor tickets in America work.

I know that many people in North America go to a gig to sit. But here is the part that bothers me - WHY?

Being a shortarse and having arthritis in both knees is a great reason to sit :D
Standing is more fun, though, with some painkillers and if possible finding a place to stand where you're not staring at the base of someone else's back throughout the night.

I know what you mean. Being merely 1.65m tall, I usually see nothing but heads in front of me. Luckily, I'm also one of those annoying people that can't stand having anybody in front of them, so I always elbow my way to the front or at least until I can't go any further. Which is why people hate going to gigs with me. I go with a bunch of people and then leave them way behind even before the show has started. :D

Yes, I'm a free range gig-goer! I always say I'm going to stand somewhere near the back, or half way down, then can't resist going further and further forwards on my own. I think women are more likely to be let through than blokes, who get all territorial about it. My other tactic is to find a group of smaller teenagers or areas where there's quite a few women, and you're guaranteed not to be stuck behind someone too tall. I don't think any of this will work at Download, though

I know that many people in North America go to a gig to sit. But here is the part that bothers me - WHY?
I'd be the exception to this. Screw sitting! I'd be waaay to excited to sit. :D

I'm 5' 6" or 1.68m and of course I do tend to have the same problems as you guys do while in a sea of people. Fighting your way through a crowd is so much fun though. Anything to get closer to that stage!

Eh, you guys may have the wrong impression. US amphitheaters/stadiums have seats, yes, but hardly anyone uses them for the duration of the concert. I've seen Maiden four times now since 2008, and while we are in "seated" sections, I don't recall seeing anyone sitting down at any point throughout the concert.

Just because the seats are there, doesn't mean they're getting used. I stand during all of my concerts, and will continue to do so. I don't even understand how someone could go to a concert and sit the entire time (unless you are handicapped or disabled in some way, that is the only exception). When you buy tickets for US concerts, you're technically buying a "seat", but I assure you hardly anyone ever sits down.

I sat in between sets and after the band played Iron Maiden (the song), and before the (surprising but fucking EXCELLENT) first song of the encore.

I would say it is entirely up to you, the time you arrive, and luck. They do favor the fan club members and sometimes hold those "first to the barrier" events, but ruling those out, I'd say as long as you are there early and get inside and to the pit floor ASAP, you would probably have a very good chance of getting up close (since it is basically first come, first serve).

I concur with this assessment. Just checked the seating plan for the Nashville show and evidently there will be lots of people on the floor, as it is essentially the size of a basketball court/hockey rink. This is good and bad. The good: if you get there early enough and are near the front of the line when they open the gates, you will be able to get very close. Even the fan club "first to the barrier" priority is only given to a few people, it's not a big number. The bad: you will NEED to get there early and be at the front of the line when they open the gates if you want to be up front, because if you aren't, everyone ahead of you will fill up the area near the barrier. Also, if you do make it up front, once Maiden takes the stage the entire crowd behind you will press forward, so expect to be smashed. Some find this fun, others find it scary, but it is not for the faint of heart.

We know what you're saying Demigod_Tyek --but in the UK (& most of Europe I'm sure) it's not like the US (apparently) where you buy a seat, but choose to stand for the whole gig. There are literally no seats at gigs. So it's always funny when people talk about seating; it's just something that would never cross my mind when buying a ticket for a gig here in the UK (--aside from the fact that there probably wouldn't even be an option to buy a seating ticket anyway.)

I understand there are no seats for most European concerts, along with a lot of other countries around the world. I just hate how it's always brought up (usually in poor manner) how the US have seats, VIP seating, poor crowds, etc... big deal. You guys don't have to deal with seats, congratulations. I have only ever been to concerts here in the US, so seats are normal for me; though as I said, I have never sat down for a concert. And everyone else stands as well (that I've ever seen, at least). So just always tired of having this same discussion come up every tour/year between us few Americans and the rest of the world's Iron Maiden fanbase.

I'm not actually knocking it; just... saying... :p
Just out of interest, at most of the shows you've been at is there not some standing (the "pit")? And if so: why don't you buy those tickets?

What about places like Manchester Arena? That has seats, even if everyone does stand up anyway

Back