Concept Album Extravaganza: Scenes From A Memory wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Stardust

Rainmaker
1: Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
2: Camel - The Snow Goose
3: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
4: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
5: Pink Floyd - The Wall
6: Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider
7: Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
8: Saboton - Carolus Rex
9: David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
10: Green Day - American Idiot
11: Avantasia - The Metal Opera
12: Ayreon - The Human Equation
13: The Who - Tommy
14: The Who - Quadrophenia
15: Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
16: Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
17: Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
18: W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol
19: Mastodon - Blood Mountain
20: Opeth - Still Life
21: Dio - Magica
22: Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
23: Nightwish - Imaginaerum
24: Iced Earth - Horror Show
25: Pink Floyd - Animals
26: The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
27: Rush - Clockwork Angels
28: Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust
29: Mercyful Fate - Melissa
30: King Diamond - Abigail
31: Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera
32: Queen - Queen II

Edit: I accidently edited out my original post. I'll post the criteria again.

1: Three albums per band
2: Up to five albums can be suggested from each member

Soooo, and that's it. See ya when the game starts or maybe earlier.

Last edited:
Criteria for suggestions?

As I've said to Dusty privately, I suggest that Seventh Son be banned from this game.

A. It's Maiden. Might as well hand it the win. Everything else fights for #2.
B. It's not a full concept album, or at least there's significant disagreement on the matter.

Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime
Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick
Dream Theater, Scenes From A Memory
The Who, Tommy
The Who, Quadrophenia

As I've said to Dusty privately, I suggest that Seventh Son be banned from this game.

A. It's Maiden. Might as well hand it the win. Everything else fights for #2.
B. It's not a full concept album, or at least there's significant disagreement on the matter.

Agreed 100%. Just like Opeth's Ghost Reveries, Symphony X's Paradise Lost or Iconoclast, or even Bruce's The Chemical Wedding - they revolve around a concept, but they are not true concept albums.

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Kamelot - Epica, The Black Halo, Silverthorn
Opeth - Still Life
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey
Dio - Magica
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider, The Dark Saga
Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Sabaton - Carolus Rex

Good list so far but The Endless River is not a concept album.

Also given this forum's tastes, I strongly suggest you include these:
Dio - Magic
Nightwish - Imaginaerum

Magica freakin' rules, by the way. It might go far, if people actually listen to it.
This is the big issue with these album survivors. It's hard to get people to listen to entire albums for these things, understandably, but then albums get eliminated mostly because they are unknown to many.

That said, this game won't be happening for a pretty long time still and Dusty is posting the list ahead of time, so hopefully people will take advantage of this.

Sorry should've specified, was seconding those from your post cause I saw Dusty hadn't added them to the list. Still gotta come up with my own list. :D

Sgt. Pepper!!

Dusty and I talked about this one in chat. What "concept" there is, is limited to the cover and two and a half songs. Lennon never considered it a concept album. IMO it's not a concept album, but obviously the call is Dusty's to make. (He was of the opinion that Sgt. Pepper is a concept album, so I wouldn't sweat it if that's your side.)

If Dusty does decide to use St. Pepper, though, that significantly changes the game. Should that happen, I rescind this comment:

Agreed 100%. Just like Opeth's Ghost Reveries, Symphony X's Paradise Lost or Iconoclast, or even Bruce's The Chemical Wedding - they revolve around a concept, but they are not true concept albums.

...and demand that those albums, and Iced Earth's Horror Show (and probably a lot more I haven't thought of yet), be added to the game.

The difference being, Sgt. Pepper has been part of the "concept album or not" debate for almost 50 years. Sgt. Pepper, whether "concept" or not, was among the first albums to at least lean that way, and had huge influence. Sgt. Pepper could be part of the game on its historical value alone.

None of the above is true for the albums in your quote.

Should that happen, I rescind this comment ...and demand that those albums...

Quite frankly, Dusty asked for a maximum of five suggestions per user. You went well over that limit and are now making demands that more of your suggestions get in the game. How about you pick five you really like, then sit back and relax like the rest of us?

Quite frankly, Dusty asked for a maximum of five suggestions per user. You went well over that limit and are now making demands that more of your suggestions get in the game. How about you pick five you really like, then sit back and relax like the rest of us?

Demand was perhaps the wrong word, but I do think that it needs to be very clear whether we're dealing with A. complete concept albums, i.e. ones that follow a single storyline, B. thematic concept albums, or C. both.

As for my five:

Kamelot - The Black Halo
Opeth - Still Life

No. 5 depends on Dusty's ruling and clarification. If we're only using option A, I choose Sabaton - Carolus Rex. If we're going with B or C, I choose Iced Earth - Horror Show.

Carolex Rex is already on Dusty's list. Everything else I would have suggested has already been picked, except for Pink Floyd - Animals, but we've already filled our Pink Floyd quota. :p

I didn't see that list! Thanks, Brigs!

If I can pick albums that aren't on that list, then...

Kamelot - The Black Halo
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey
Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

Personally I don't think "thematic" albums like Horror Show should count. That creates too many grey areas and widens the criteria a bit too much imo. I think each album should have a clear story/concept that runs through every song. So Ghost Reveries is also out.

Personally I don't think "thematic" albums like Horror Show should count. That creates too many grey areas and widens the criteria a bit too much imo. I think each album should have a clear story/concept that runs through every song. So Ghost Reveries is also out.

I disagree. If the theme is clear in every single song, that's a concept album. I'd call Horror Show a concept album, noting that I haven't actually played the whole album in years.

Your requirement of "story" means "rock opera", which is just a subset of concept albums. Requiring a story rules out Dark Side.

I think it's just the "every song" part that matters (excepting instrumentals), and that the concept be clear enough in each song that there's no debate.

Back