Complaint about the Commentary

gor

Ancient Mariner
I was pondering on posting this for some time now, but I guess it's better for me to share my thoughts and see what others think about it too. In anycase, I have no ill will in what I am going to say.

I think that it would be proper for the people who submit info that gets addded to the Commentary to be accordingly credited for it. It is kind of awkward to be told "Hands Off!" when one right clicks on info he submited and ended up anonymously on the Commentary.

I have spent the better part of the last 4 years researching, as I have been writing a book about maiden (translation of all lyrics and greek commentary on them). Much of the info I came up with could end up exclusively on my book, but (until recently) I willingly posted it on the Commentary BB for all to see.

Let me point out that the Commentary was a great help in my search, and it has been accordingly credited as such. Nevertheless, it was far from my only source and it would be unjust for it to look like that...

Until now not much has been utilised in the Commentary from my submitions, but one day all the effort and hours, all the google pages I have went through may go unnoticed and readers of my book (if it is ever published) will think I took that info from the IM Commentary, which is mighty unfair.

I propose proper credit where credit is due, not only for me, but for all who's submitions end up in the commentary. Until then, I choose not to submit any more info...

gor

I know what you mean Gor, not that i mind at all, but my user isnt credited for my nicko age of innocence lyrics [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Stop whining and tell me where I can put the credits. Adding them to each commentary would make the list of contributors longer than the commentaries themselves. Any ideas then? [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

there are many viable solutions. for example you could add a fourth button on the top right corner of each song which would lead to the credits list...

Maybe I could add the list to the "Useful Links" section, as the pages already exist (setting up more pages would simply make the whole site even more complicated).

On the other hand, I could also add the "Commentary Credits" to the "Album Credits" pages I already plan to set up.

Should I also incorporate the email addresses of the contributors?

(one last details: so many people have sent me information in one form or another that I couldn't possibly go through the backlog and they would have to tell me again individually where and how they contributed.)

I'm glad you're taking this into consideration. I say let each individual choose if he wants his email on there. Also, you can put up a notice somewhere that people will see that you are puting together the credits pages and whoever has a claim to a credit can send you the reasons for it.

I agree with gor, but at the same time it was your choice to post information ANYONE not just Maverik could take and show as their own. That is why I only post things that, sure I'm proud of, but don't really care if I get credit for it or not. The stories, papers, etc I don't want someone taking as their own I don't post.

Maverick, I've posted lots on the forum in here - I don't really know what you've taken from me (if anything) or what you've researched on your own. I can understand why this would be tough to do, though. The Commentary is your baby, but it has a lot of rhetorical fathers. Yes, I am calling you a girl.

Everything posted to on the forum is linked to already on the IMC. So I don't see a need to credit people there. And I do understand that it's just not utilitarian to add the thanks on every single commentary...could you imagine? The huge blurb on Paschendale, then "Thanks LooseCannon, IronDuke, Perun, Gor, Bill Gates, Sherlock Holmes, Gaius Julius Caesar"? BUT! Everyone who helped should get a credit somewhere. I seem to remember an old page with lots of credits already...add them to there, perhaps. Include an email link, and maybe a link to that person's more major contributions. Gor, you'd probably have one that says "damn near every song".

And where Gor has done so much, Mav...would it not be possible to figure out a way to let him access everything he's contributed on?

Actually it is easy to see what people have contribute. Maverik can't do it because it is too much work. But everybody can check their own posts. LC, Gor and others can check by going through the threads they started or posts they have made, then they can post on Mav's new "give yourself credit" thread below. I can only think of two contributions of done and neither made it to the actual comentary, they've been taken as good theories and that is good enough for me. Happy hunting frequent posters hehe

well well well ... above all, George, many thanx for your cooperation in the research I (should I say WE) are performing on Iron Maiden. Yes, I agree with you in the fact that it's a little risky letting other people know easily what has needed a lot of effort from your (or my) side to find out. Personally, I'm trying to get in touch with the band for them to check if my info is right, and ONCE I HAVE FINISHED AND COMPLETED the research, I will have no problem in posting here a link to my research. After all, that was its purpose ... but I haven't spent hourless nights depriving myself of sleep for someone else to take the glory. I'll let you know any novelties

who the hell are you? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back