Canadian Seal Hunt Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: O Canada, we stand on guard for thee...

No, I do not mind, Perun. I merely meant that it dídn't stop me.
The topic title can be changed (I liked the "guard"-thing though).

And LC, I don't only have to learn what you say about this hunt. I rather have (more) neutral media and several different points of view. So I keep on quoting other sources. And my own mind exists as well. It's not against the forum rules.

Yeah, one wherein people were interested in learning about the conditions surrounding why a hunt occurs, instead of condemning an activity from halfway around the world they know nothing about.

It seems that this has become a moral issue, rather than a legal one.  The legal aspect, revolving around the Canadian right to arrest these people seems clear.  So, it looks more like an issue of the 'humane' way of killing the seals.

I have seen and know how a hog is killed.  If the pneumatic gun that fires the bolt quits working as well, multiple attempts to kill it are made, followed by a club.  A worse death than the seals face.  If the seals were in 'lots' vs in the wild, would this be an issue? 

Perun said:
By the way, I find it curious that the last time this was discussed here, the whole thing went into a completely different direction.

This thread explained a lot to me, thanks. It shows where people come from, and that it's hard for some of them to look at it in an objective way. It's hard for some to be critical of their own country, and it's also hard for them to be open to criticism voiced by an "outsider".

So in the end, the:
"I am from Canada, so I am qualified to comment on this" I find a very arrogrant way of reasoning. One won't come far with that these days.

Forostar said:
This thread explained a lot to me, thanks. It shows where people come from, and that it's hard for some of them to look at it in an objective way. It's hard for some to be critical of their own country, and it's also hard for them to be open to criticism voiced by an "outsider".

So in the end, the:
"I am from Canada, so I am qualified to comment on this" I find a very arrogrant way of reasoning. One won't come far with that these days.

Uhh...hold on one second.  You say that to discount their opinions, yet seem to think yourself more qualified to comment on the matter than people who are living in the state itself?

I'm quite pleased this thread has continued, and I thank LooseCannon for illuminating me on the specifics of the seal hunt in Newfoundland and Labrador.  While it's hardly the most desired position to be in, it's unfortunately the best choice available to the Canadian government at the minute, ecologically as well as economically.  Surprisingly, the original problem is due to man's intervention...as usual.

Forostar said:

No. It's not hard to be critical of one's own country at all. But has it occurred to you that, since seal hunting is taking place in Canada, it simply gets much more exposure there? That the Canadians have the possibility to see B O T H  S I D E S  O F  T H E  S T O R Y because they do not only have access to articles written by people who have a critical bias, but also to such which are written by those who have talked to the sealers themselves?
Had you read the thread I linked to attentively, you would have read Iron Duke's comments, which explained that the sealers are not doing it for fun, but out of necessity, and that most would indeed be glad to have another job.

You claim that the Canadians aren't looking at it objectively. Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you are looking at it objectively either.

Raven said:
Uhh...hold on one second.  You say that to discount their opinions, yet seem to think yourself more qualified to comment on the matter than people who are living in the state itself?

No. Why change my words, man?!

I am not thinking I am more qualified, but I think that I also have a right to comment on this even if I don't live in Canada. To start a discussion like the Duke did in that other topic, sets imo the wrong tone, and doesn't call much for interest to read on. ("fuck off ...bla bla")

People who live in those regions might know a lot about it, but this only one side (their side) of the story. One also has to accept at how things are received outside their country. Especially on an international forum. I have heard all the arguments in favour of this hunt, I'm simply not convinced. I still find it barbaric.

I have not attacked a "fellow"-forummer because of his opinion. Still, the tolerance-rate towards my posts looks pretty minimal. Also I was called a preacher by someone who preaches his ass off to defend this "holy" sake.

Forostar said:
Still, the tolerance-rate towards my posts looks pretty minimal.

No, Foro. People merely did not agree with you. This is supposed to be a discussion. In a discussion, people argue, and they argue about what the other side has said. If you call that a lack of tolerance, then you're calling for people to tolerate, i.e. ignore your posts, or simply to read them but not reply to them, unless they agree with you. But that's not the point of a discussion.

As for the "preaching", from my observation, one party has brought many rational arguments in their posts, each one trying to explain things and explain their point of view, while the other party kept repeating the same arguments despite the fact that they had been addressed.

Then why call me a preacher?  And a hypocrite? (that was deleted) Then why say: end of story?

All very demotivating comments.
Well, now I'm at a point where LC was earlier today. I guess the forum is better off without me.
Everyone can have the same opinion again from now on.

Happy hunting.

Perun, on a more personal note: I found these last words very painful, because I really brought out rational arguments as well but somehow it was not recognized.

Right, blame it all on me. Is it my fault you're taking it personally when somebody disagrees with you? I guess I'm the one who should leave here. Goodbye, this was my last post.

I'm not blaming anyone, I said what I said, namely that I find it painful the way some things were stated.

For my own sake (and perhaps yours) I will avoid all political and social topics from now on, since my arguments only evoke anger, or are even ignored.

I took a step back to cool down, because I didn't want my anger splashing over into what I was saying.

Perun...I think just deleted his account.

Forostar, I think most of the time we agree on issues, but I honestly felt I was being ignored.  I'm sorry if I ignored some of what you said, but I was really, really, really upset and frustrated.  I didn't feel my points were being listened to at all, and I hope you can understand that.

To be honest I thought about deleting my own account... didn't expect that Perun actually had the same thought. :/

Besides, no one but me disagreed with him, so this comes as a bit of a shock?

Maybe someone from the outside should check this doomed topic.

It's still just a discussion.  I know that when things are said that makes me that angry, it's time to end the discussion for a time.

I want to clarify something that REALLY pisses me off about this debate:

BABY seals (the little white ones) are not allowed to be hunted. Only adults over a certain size are taken. End of story.  Stop using the image, Foro et al., to tug on people's heartstrings. It's false. it's a lie.

Second, why aren't people up in arms about the ill treatment of cattle, sheep, chickens, and pigs? They have much crueler lives to satisfy our tastes, and their end is every bit as bloody and gruesome as those seals.

Finally, why are people so obsessed with the seals in particular? These same people engage in fishing 8 months of the year in EXACTLY the same locations, yet nobody seems to care about the fish when they suffocate on the decks of the boats. I think people only care because seals are cute.

Damn hypocrites.

I want to clarify something that hurts me about this debate:

I think it is truly sad that members of this board let a simple debate get to them to the point of threatening to delete accounts, delete accounts or ignore other users (this has happened in the past.) I don't come here as frequently as in the past, but often enough to still be in the know. I for one like the fact that even though I have not made a major contribution in years, people tolerate (or ignore) my off the wall/stupid comments. It says a lot about the people here. That they are nice, tolerant and open enough to just about anything. So it is sad when long standing members leave do to irreconcilable differences. Cyber communities are fluid as it is, and to see people that have "known" each other for years now let a stupid fight get to them is bothersome to me.

whether we are being open minded or not, understand the argument or are imposing our views on others, we should know better by now, we know each other well enough by now (at least the oldies). I believe it was Duke who posted a pic long ago which read: Fighting over the internet is like running in the special Olympics, win or lose you are still retarded... 'nuff said. 

I’d like to give an explanation of my view on this whole “case”.  This might anger people (again) but I still like to respond to Onhell’s statement, which was surely meant well.

My reaction is also meant well. It serves as some relief for myself, but also as a defense.
Let’s hope it won’t make matters worse.

Onhell said:
I want to clarify something that hurts me about this debate:

I think it is truly sad that members of this board let a simple debate get to them to the point of threatening to delete accounts, delete accounts or ignore other users (this has happened in the past.)

As yet, I honestly haven't done any of those options.

Onhell said:
whether we are being open minded or not, understand the argument or are imposing our views on others, we should know better by now, we know each other well enough by now (at least the oldies). I believe it was Duke who posted a pic long ago which read: Fighting over the internet is like running in the special Olympics, win or lose you are still retarded... 'nuff said. 

If I read back the whole topic (I have done it many times and even let 3 other people analyze it, independently -  they all know me well, and told me they have looked at it as neutral as they could), the only thing that I regret is that I called these hunters “dumb” and “losers.”

Still, are these terms worse than some other words, used by others on this forum?
Absolutely not. Besides, they were not directed at some person on this forum.

Anyway, I understood that those terms might have provoked LC’s sudden(!) anger, and I changed them.

Something that might have trickered Perun to delete his account might have been me when I told him that some things he said were painful to me (I still think that his last two longer posts were not only pretty hard and personal, but also quite unjust and not deserved – I have the arguments to back that up, but this might not be the moment to go deeper in that).

What’s wrong with telling someone that his words hurt? It surely was no offense or anything else that comes close to violation of the rules.

Also Per probably meant to introduce that old seal hunt topic as something positive, where I interpreted it as a negative one. (I could also go deeper in that, though this is also not the moment.) That might have caused Perun’s emotions.

Not unimportant: I haven't attacked people, nor ignored people in any personal way. I reacted to LC, and he reacted to me, we were reading most things we said to eachother, and often we replied to posts of the other.

So that went pretty well.

Perhaps it was also not cool to hear that I thought that it is hard for some to look at it in an objective way. I said it's hard for some to be critical of their own country, and it's also hard for them to be open to criticism voiced by an "outsider".

Especially that last one I really experienced. LC will surely know which sentence I mean.

First I really doubted every thing that I did in this topic, but now, the more often I read it, the more I’m convinced that I hardly did anything wrong. And I’d appreciate it if you guys will  believe that I did some self reflection.

It really feels that a few people couldn’t stand my different opinion (an opinion which is worldwide, but strangely enough on this forum it isn’t). They tried to change mine, but I simply couldn’t be convinced. Did I try to change their opinions? Perhaps I did, I tried to show other sources of information, but soon I realized that some things work different with several people.

For me, moral reasons come before rules. I compare this with: I find it terrible how someone can be discriminated in country B because it’s not against the rules in country B.

So a lot of the legal reasoning (LC’s knows a lot about that!) doesn’t really do much for me. How bad someone’s economical situation may be, I think that’s no excuse for these “jobs”, and definitely not for the way the “work” is executed. Also, don’t forget that the real reason of the topic was not the hunt itself but the imo “cover-up” act of Canada’s officials  (hence “Chinese methods”). These are my views. People tell me to accept theirs. At some point I did, but that doesn’t mean I have to shut up about my own.

But did some others accept my opinion? I hardly had that idea, especially not, when thinking of posts, done by IronDuke, SMX, Perun and to some lesser extent, LC.

That’s why I said that the “tolerance-rate” seemed pretty low towards my ideas. I still stand by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back