Can you pass the US Citizenship test?

I got 80% lol, I got 2 (I wasn't too sure), 13 (took a guess), 19 and 20 wrong. psh, whatever, don't have to worry about it for like another 3 months or so.

Haha, 11/20. Oh well, if the real test only is this short, all it takes is one little study shesh to get it all right.

16/20. I got #19 right ;)
But you can't expect me to know all the amendments... I'm glad I heard of the first two and the Bill of Rights.

I also missed #19.  I got #14 right, but it is more than a little misleading -- in fact, I'd say it's wrong.  The President doesn't "select" the Supreme Court Justices.  The President nominates the Supreme Court Justices, who must be confirmed by the Senate, but if the Senate doesn't confirm, the Senators don't get to pick an alternative.  So, technically, the President selects the nominee -- he's the only one who does any "selecting" -- but he doesn't just get to name Justices to the Court.  If I were applying for citizenship and this were the question that blocked my application, I'd be fairly pissed. 

On the answers page, the website explains: that's the answer the test looks for, even though (as you noted) it hardly tells the whole story.

But President is more accurate than Senate there, if you have to choose. The Senate must confirm, but can't make the initial selection.

I only got 15 right.  Two of them I would have gotten right if I didn't change my mind in the last second.  Always go with you gut instinct on these.

I only got 7, I know bugger all about the US in this respect as I was never interested and never taught it in school (because its not very important to British history).
However, I did get the years right (probably because I've heard them mentioned so many times in films) but mostly it was all guessing as I have no clue about who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court today or anything like that.

I should have an online history lesson, wherein someone asks a history question, and me and Prune answer it.

LC:  Was the abolition of slavery in the U.S. rooted primarily in economics (i.e., slavery no longer became economically efficient) or morals (i.e., it was still economically efficient, but people began to realize it was simply wrong)?  Discuss. 

Full disclosure:  This is a dirty trick.  I took an entire course on this subject in law school, from a prof who won the Nobel Prize in part for his scholarship on this subject. 

Well, I'm not up to a professor at law school level, but I'm no slouch either.  With preparation, I could probably write about it at a high end level.  Not...Nobel Prize in Econ level (I presume your prof was Robert Fogel?), but high end.

LooseCannon said:
I should have an online history lesson, wherein someone asks a history question, and me and Prune answer it.

Each to his speciality: I suppose you would do best with American, Canadian, military and law history and me... well, mostly Europe,the Middle East and really old stuff. We should have that, indeed.

Back