Can we all please rate The Book Of Souls as one complete album? Not 2 separte discs.

How will you view The Book Of Souls 2 discs?

• As one complete album

Votes: 60 87.0%
  • As 2 separate discs

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
As all of you already have stated - it's a continued effort, and more so an effort in one single release. You can treat Keeper of the Seven Keys I and Keeper of the Seven Keys II as two seperate albums - because they have been split and released in two seperate efforts.

Even if The Book of Souls are spread through two discs on a CD, it's a collected and ultimately a singular effort. I may sound ignorant when I say that I can never understand and see why this should be treated as two seperate albums.

Final Fantasy VII for the Playstation 1 came in three discs. Are they three seperate games, then? No, absolutely not. One took where the other left off, yet continuing the linear experience and still keeping it in a single separate device instead of becoming three different lines for three different devices.

I should hit the "Post reply" button before I really unhinge myself from this tangent completely...

This is what happens when old warhorses like Iron Maiden release an old-school double album, and none of their fans are old enough to have actually bought a gatefold back in the day. :p

Of course it's one single album, but arguments over which disc is better are part of the double album tradition.

Some double records are meant to be viewed as two seperate units, for example one with calm songs and one with heavy, or one studio and one live etc. but this really feels just like one record that's to big for one disc and I can't see the point in thinking about it like separate records (in most cases).

Definitely one complete album, albeit a double. I still consider Use Your Illusion to be one album, split over 2 parts, and have done since it was released in 1991.
Because I tend to listen to most of my music via iTunes, or on my iPhone (sorrowful I know, but I spend a lot of time commuting), it plays as one 11 track album anyway

This is what happens when old warhorses like Iron Maiden release an old-school double album, and none of their fans are old enough to have actually bought a gatefold back in the day. :p

Of course it's one single album, but arguments over which disc is better are part of the double album tradition.

Yeah, back in the day BOS would have to be spread 6 songs on one side and 5 on the other. And it was recorded on a big black frisbee that you had to flip over using your hands and a lot of wrist muscles to do so. Just like any album ever released by any band, you had great songs and not so great songs on both sides. With BOS I can't find 1 bad son on the entire 11 song set. I'm still trying. 5th time listening back to back and I can't get enough! :)

Of course I treat and listen to The Book of Souls as one album... but I have to say that if I had to pick a better disc, the choice would be very easy. It's the first one for me, hands down. It has everything I appreciate the most about this record.

I got a single CD car stereo. It is a real pain to change the CD if I all of the sudden want to listen to e.g. Death and Glory while listening to e.g. Speed of light.

Last edited:
I was about to post, "Why are we even debating this?" when I got to Gk1's last one, about only being able to pick one CD for the car stereo. That's a good point. Eventually one disc is going to get a heavier rotation than another.

Next we'll see a thread about what a one-disc version of Souls might look like.

Again, back in my day (I'm a dinosaur here at 47). We had these things called LP's that not only you had to flip over to hear both sides of the album, but they never did fit into a car radio. Then the 8 track came out, then the cassette players, then finally CDs. Cassettes needed to be flipped, CDs didn't until a fantastic band like Iron Maiden comes along with songs that are af least 10 minutes long with one being almost 19 minutes long. And to top that, every song is fantastic. Honestly, in a car, how many songs are you going to completely listen to during your drive. With an album this great, I'm honored to rotate the discs. Why dont yall put it in your iPhones or whatever device and listen to it that way, no flipping, just 2 hours of BOS!

You're right. If this album was released in the 70s early 80s we'd be getting one vinyl with 5 on one side, 6 on the other.
Like I said in previous posts, every band has some better songs on each side of the album. If you buy an album just for one favorite song whatever side that song is on would get played the most. When CDs came out you could fit a regular sized 12-14 song album on one cd. Maiden comes along and writes a 2 hour album that had to be spread over two discs because of length of songs and everybody is losing their minds and don't know how to act! :)

92 minutes on one vinyl? Never. Unless you mean you think the songs would have been shorter back then, which is probably true.
I was thinking of shorter songs per album 5 or 6 songs per side...

I keep thinking of kiss alive 2 where they had the concert set on 3 sides and included additional songs on the 4th side. I haven't had the opportunity to see the BOS vinyl, but I'm curious to how they laid the tracks out on it.

I keep speeding when i play maiden in the car. I need to make a relaxing mix with Tears of a Clown Journeyman etc. Definitely not Man on the edge for me.

Back