Buckethead

Was reading an article yesterday (written in 2015) about Viggo Mortensen's film Jauja (2014), when I stumbled upon the line "...enthusing about his collaborations with enigmatic guitarist and Juaja’s soundtrack co-composer Buckethead." That Viggo & Buckethead work(ed) together I knew; I have several of their albums. But I hadn't heard mention of him "co-composing" a soundtrack with Viggo anywhere before; especially not this recently.

Found a couple of other articles in which Viggo discusses the film's music.
Lisandro said to me: “I don’t usually do this, but I was thinking there are three or four moments of transition in this movie, where something happens in terms of linear time.” The first really important one in the movie is when Captain Dinesen sleeps under the stars and the next day when he wakes up, the climate, the landscape, he himself, even though he doesn’t realize it, have changed. Everything’s different. And Lisandro felt that it would help that transition to have some music, something lyrical. But he said that we didn’t have any budget at all to go find what he was thinking about, so he needed somebody to propose something. And I said there is a guitar player named Buckethead whom I’ve known for years, I’ve done lots of records with him. A lot of the music is kinda strange, but some of it is pretty lyrical. It has a sort of circular quality that would suit the story. I sent Lisandro ten songs, and he picked the one you hear and I thought “great choice.” I wouldn’t have thought of it, but he could see that. It was one of those things that happen.

Viggo Mortensen on 'Jauja,' Producing, Protecting Directors' Visions (2015)
Viggo’s involvement in the film was not just as an actor. He had even collaborated with the Lisandro, helping him choose music for it. “Lisandro told me he wanted to have a break between scenes, and I said you should listen to Buckethead, very strange music, to shift the tempo. I happen to know Buckethead personally, as I had done some work with him.”

A Conversation With Viggo Mortensen at Cannes (2014)
Turns out to be not quite as it seems, but interesting nonetheless. The Wiki entry for the film says that the soundtrack is by Mortensen. However, IMDb helpfully clarifies that the "soundtrack" turns out to be simply a couple of old Viggo/Buckethead tracks from Please Tomorrow, an album Viggo released in 2004 that featured Buckethead. IMDb incorrectly says that both tracks were composed by Viggo; in fact Sunrise was written by Buckethead, as should be evident when heard...

I took pikes 8, 10, 11, 17, 23, 31 & 38 with me and had a blast. My wife and son liked it as well. If I remember well I liked The Spirit Wind (17) the most!
I'll take more pikes with me on the next holiday.

I took pikes 8, 10, 11, 17, 23, 31 & 38 with me and had a blast. My wife and son liked it as well. If I remember well I liked The Spirit Wind (17) the most!
I'll take more pikes with me on the next holiday.
Btw, YouTube has quite a few people posting Buckethead mixes...

If you don't know what to listen to next, or just want to be surprised, this guy has quite a few interesting Pikes mixes up: TheFanboy6

Last edited:
Something else that Buckethead, Brain, and Pete Scaturro recorded as "Giant Robot" from circa 2007 apparently. One poster on TDRS has described this as "a musical cues set comprised of music one can licence for use in films, commercials, etc". Not released as such (it's not an album), but various tracks are up on YouTube. It's called Siren 19 and Cried is saving it here for reference...

Last edited:
Buckethead played B.B. King's, NYC the other night (again); two nights with different setlists apparently. And talk about deep cuts! Shaded Ray (Pike #121) out of nowhere; probably never to be heard again. A wee mellow one for you @Forostar...

Last edited:
More footage, this time from Saturday night Ardmore, Pennsylvania. Another crazy deep cut, with a wee section of Flare (Pike #95)! Maybe he's going to spend the rest of his life touring Pikes material. Now there's a thought...

Improvisation on Siege Engine from about 6 minutes onwards (to ~09:20) is, uh, frightening... :eek:

Last edited:
"O they really wear buckets". :) He likes it a lot! Already before the solo starts. What's happening with his face later on? Is that crying? Woah, he's very impressed. "Is he artificial? Is he from Pluto?" Never seen him like this, I saw some more vids.

Back