Bruce Dickinson

This setlist is freaking fantastic. The Alchemist is literally a dream come true for me. Being used to Maiden not debuting previously unplayed tracks, I didn't expect it. Add Book of Thel and I'm totally over the moon. Damn, I think I would piss myself if I went to the gig blind and heard The Alchemist intro...

The cover is a waste of set time IMO, but I guess it could be for the warm-up night only... I think it's a placeholder for songs that appear on different nights now but will be part of the same setlist later on. Selfishly I hope they won't rotate tracks during the proper tour, because it would suck to get the version you like less!

My prediction for the second LA night:
Darkside of Aquarius -> Book of Thel
Abduction -> Starchildren/Trumpets of Jericho
Road to Hell -> The Tower
Jerusalem -> Navigate... (would be a massive downgrade, but I could see that happening)

Bruce sounds really good up to the last few songs, then he gets more strained. Kind of the same as last year. Around Alexander/Fear he was slightly more strained than earlier in the set.

All in all they all sound really good, can't wait to see the setlist changes tonight and can't wait for London and Oslo!

The pre-chorus and the chorus are a bit tough for Bruce there, but hey, first show and the last song.

The verses sound bloody good! His "matured" voice really suits some of these songs really, really well!

ROCK!!!

In fairness, he never even got the lyrics right when he first wrote them, because the road to hell is paved with good intentions…
Yeah but "full" sounds better in the song. It kind of bothered me at first but nowadays I look at it like, Bruce isn't preaching about good intentions, he's telling a story. The road to hell is off to the wayside and full of good intentions that led us to this shitshow.

So only 3 changes. Starchildren, Book and Tower in, Laughing, Jerusalem and Road To Hell out(!).
Changes already for the 2nd show is so strange for us the Maidenfans, haha. The pace of the setlist is better. I can't say which setlist I like better. It's all good.

Book Of Thel won't be an easy song for the encores (like Aquarius before it, or Trumpets for example). The Tower as the last song as well (high chorus). What an ending and atmosphere the last 4 songs create! Classics.

I'm not a big fan of Starchildren (I prefer The Magician). It was expected though. I hope Bruce will rotate songs more often (not just for 2nd nights). I don't know why he refuses to play Man Of Sorrows...? And I was definitely expecting more TOS songs, at least Navigate, which I prefer over all the other slow songs. Lots of other great songs that could/should/wait to be played.
The cover is a waste of set time IMO, but I guess it could be for the warm-up night only... I think it's a placeholder for songs that appear on different nights now but will be part of the same setlist later on.
The cover has to go. It's fun for the band, but it's so unnecessary and very weird. I hope you're right, although it doesn't seem too likely, it's in the set for the 2nd night as well.

Edit: what is the average length of the show (without the cover)? 1h and 20 min? Like in the 90's? I thought Bruce would do 16/17 songs max.

Last edited:
The Alchemist is literally a dream come true for me. Being used to Maiden not debuting previously unplayed tracks, I didn't expect it. Damn, I think I would piss myself if I went to the gig blind and heard The Alchemist intro...
Bruce acknowledges the impact of TCW album (the music of it for his career) and I think he knows that The Alchemist is one his most liked deep cuts. I guess the song got a lot of votes in the Instagram poll. I hope for Omega too, another great surprise. Excluding TOS album, there aren't that many songs that haven't been played live yet.

Bruce acknowledges the impact of TCW album (the music of it for his career) and I think he knows that The Alchemist is one his most liked deep cuts. I guess the song got a lot of votes in the Instagram poll. I hope for Omega too, another great surprise. Excluding TOS album, there aren't that many songs that haven't been played live yet.
Well I did vote for the Alchemist too. So just glad he played it

Cool changes. Glad that Book Of Thel is back. There were probably more songs played on rehearsals, so I think a few more should pop up during the tour.

Swapping Road To Hell for The Tower was a good decision as it resulted in quite a bit less straining. If I was Bruce I would move Darkside earlier in the set and put Book Of Thel or Jerusalem there as it is a hard song.

Hopefully they rotate one or 2 of the new songs too.

Cool changes. Glad that Book Of Thel is back. There were probably more songs played on rehearsals, so I think a few more should pop up during the tour.
Hopefully they rotate one or 2 of the new songs too.
Yep, I think so too. A few other old songs (maybe 4 or 5) and let's hope another 1 or 2 different new songs.

Here's Starchildren. The long note! Sounds pretty solid live, like the song it replaced. The jacket has the Mandrake root on the back. Cool.

Swapping Road To Hell for The Tower was a good decision as it resulted in quite a bit less straining. If I was Bruce I would move Darkside earlier in the set and put Book Of Thel or Jerusalem there as it is a hard song.
Road To Hell should never leave the set imo. But yeah, Aquarius should be earlier in the set. The last 4 songs are difficult ones to finish the show with.

Back