Bruce Dickinson

Whether you realize it or not but Bruce Dickinson released a new solo album called "The Mandrake Project" on March 1 2024. It is his first solo album since 2005, when he released "Tyranny Of Souls".

The_Mandrake_Project_f0a31b4d_thumbnail_1024.webp

1711990229281.jpeg

Actually, for Maiden, if I remember correctly, Adrian builds a demo and then Bruce comes and visits him at his home studio and they discuss things and themes.

IIRC Adrian even supplied Bruce with titles for both Speed Of Light and Death Or Glory (likely, they were demo titles) and Bruce wrote the lyrics to those titles. Maybe that was even the case with Writing On The Wall and Darkest Hour (unlikely with the last one IMO). My feeling is that Adrian just can't be bothered to write lyrics anymore (and maybe feels like Bruce is better at it), so he gives Bruce a title or a snippet and lets him run with it.
I think I remember him saying something on the lines of “I came up with the title & I go to Bruce” during one of the Senjutsu interviews. He knows that Bruce can really write well to his melodies.

By the way, Bruce is not married to "a French girl" as he says in the interview posted above. What a strange thing to say.

I know what you mean, thought the same. Yes, I know, sometimes it is used differently, but I have also mainly learned this definitions:

Source Oxford Languages

a female child or adolescent.
"a six-year-old girl"

a young or relatively young woman.
"I haven't got the time to meet girls"

I always found it quite amusing when my wife’s grandmother, then in her late 60s, would refer to women over 50 years old as “girls”. It seems that is something that old people use to refer to some who are slightly younger than them though. :lol:

I hear it quite often that white-haired ladies of around 80 years of age are addressed as "Young lady,...!".

But we need to collect all this so that in the speculation thread Bruce's potential remark about the "girls" in the support band that he hints at is not seen as proof that it will probably be a newcomer band. :D

It is weird to think that such lacklustre effort is already a month old!
Despite the album not having many instrumental parts, I would never say that about all of the songs really. This is my preferred and most interesting and creative album as a whole piece from this year. Bruce has the rare talent to make everything work, with variety and be memorable for the listener.

''That is something I don't know. Obviously, it's a possibility, but I'm not going to force myself to go, 'Oh, I have to do this because it's at the end of three years.' If something happens naturally, then great. I'm not gonna sit on my butt and do nothing. But what I've learned from this process is when you do stuff, just do stuff that is really great quality. Rather than do ten things that are all average, do one thing, which is really good.''

It seems Bruce prefer a focused writing for the next solo album. That's good. Let's hope we don't have to wait that long.

A new bruce album being talked about on the bruce solo thread!

If you want a change.of subject, how is caerdav doing?

Despite the album not having many instrumental parts, I would never say that about all of the songs really. This is my preferred and most interesting and creative album as a whole piece from this year. Bruce has the rare talent to make everything work, with variety and be memorable for the listener.
Agreed. I don't think I've gone a week without listening to it, and the first couple weeks it was about 3x each week. No, of course it's not as solid as some previous albums, and I think you'd have to be an idiot to go in expecting it to beat Chemical Wedding or maybe even AoB. But it's got some great songs, a couple I don't like as much, and a song that would've been a monster on its own if we hadn't already heard Maiden do it, which sort of relegated it to "eh, heard it" status.

I wished he had done that for The Mandrake Project.
Yeah, but the album has its charm and I don't think it was possible with all the different writing sessions and songs from past years. With the next album, even if he uses some of the many leftovers from the last 2 albums again, if it's focused, it would right. Developing all the songs together. I would say it is kind of expected that he is not in a hurry with the next album, he can tour Mandrake for 2/3 years.
I don't think I've gone a week without listening to it, and the first couple weeks it was about 3x each week. No, of course it's not as solid as some previous albums, and I think you'd have to be an idiot to go in expecting it to beat Chemical Wedding or maybe even AoB. But it's got some great songs, a couple I don't like as much, and a song that would've been a monster on its own if we hadn't already heard Maiden do it, which sort of relegated it to "eh, heard it" status.
Agreed. I think it's as solid as some of the other metal albums, but it's different.

Completely agree about Eternity, it's a instant classic. Btw, Bruce sings the chorus in the Maiden version a bit higher. Nice and needed contrast imo.
As much as I love most of Adrian's input, some of those who have listened to that beg to disagree with the "always" part. ;)
View attachment 35422View attachment 35423
Silver And Gold is class. As for the other album, Adrian is not the vocalist.

Last edited:
New interview of Bruce Dickinson by 4GQTV during the WonderCon in Anaheim (California, USA). :)

Asked if comic-book writing is a lot different from songwriting, Bruce responded (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Yeah, it is a lot different to songwriting. It has some similarities. Comic writing has similarities to all writing — screenplay writing and songwriting and book writing and art, obviously. But it is different to all of them. I mean, I approached writing this the same way I would approach writing, say, a screenplay. And then as soon as I went to turn it into a comic, my scriptwriter, Tony Lee, a very experienced comic writer —I realized that script writing, screenplay format is not comic format. Screenplay dialogue is not comic dialogue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And you've just gotta have a feel for what's gonna work in a comic. And it's really exciting for me to see the script that we do turn into the art and then the art and the script work together. So as I'm going through, I feel like I'm getting more of a handle on writing comic script. I mean, I've written the story, I've written the characters, I've written the backstory, but now the characters are starting to write the story, which, for me, it's, like, wow, that's really cool."

Regarding whether he is a fan of comic books, Dickinson said: "Well, I was when I was a kid. I liked a good story, and for there to be a good story, you need complex characters. So I made a distinction between art. I mean, if I'd have been able to draw when I was a kid, I'm sure I would've been an artist. But I can't — I mean, I'm like little stick people; I have no ability at art at all, except I love it when I see it. And I can visualize things. I just can't draw them. Which is good for artists, because you can have maniacs like me create the ideas, and then they draw them. So, if I could, I'm sure I would have been an artist. But without that, then you turn into a storyteller just through whatever medium you can get your hands on."

Back