Bruce Dickinson

I don't understand why people don't take their music off these platorms, if they aren't making any money from it?
I’ve always thought this. A day doesn’t go by without some interview somewhere from a band/artist complaining about streaming platforms ripping them off and paying pennies.

If everyone took their music off the platforms then surely the streaming service would either a) die out or b) be forced to pay more money to artists.

Would a band like Maiden for example really suffer by not being on any streaming services? Their fan base would just buy the albums and rip them onto a phone or other portable device.

If everyone took their music off the platforms then surely the streaming service would either a) die out or b) be forced to pay more money to artists.
But this won't ever happen, because streaming services are the only way to get discovered anymore. Millennials and younger apparently pretty much only stream, and they don't even want to buy digital albums, because they just want to go to one place and listen to whatever they want whenever they want.

Also, if everyone boycotted the streaming platforms, it would just reincentivize the pirating of music, which is what led to the creation of these streaming services in the first place. There probably does need to be some collective action to improve artist royalties on streaming, though.

Would a band like Maiden for example really suffer by not being on any streaming services? Their fan base would just buy the albums and rip them onto a phone or other portable device.
Most youngins don't have an optical reader of any kind. At best they'd buy a digital version of the album, if they could figure out where to go to buy it and they felt motivated enough to actually do it.

It would, at least, make attracting new listeners a lot harder and I believe there's a significant amount of (especially) younger fans who would, probably, be very disappointed in such a move. That might reflect on the touring market too.

Edit: oops, @Jer above was faster!

Imho, this message means nothing but the will of Bruce Dickinson to record a new album with Iron Maiden very soon.

We are, here, maybe in the same context as in the one where Nightmare, a french heavy metal band, was after the release of 'The Aftermath'. The singer and the drummer, the Amore brothers Jo and David, wanted to do a new album with their band, but the bassist Yves Campion didn't want to. It seems that Steve Harris is dragging his heels and is delaying indefinitely the recording of the band's 18th album.

I think there's a large proportion of Maiden fans who've never even heard it, never mind the general public.
Wow.
All depends on the 'influential' definition. But yeah, I would say that TCW was one of the best heavy metal albums of that decade.
Impactful for sure.
Imho, this message means nothing but the will of Bruce Dickinson to record a new album with Iron Maiden very soon.

It seems that Steve Harris is dragging his heels and is delaying indefinitely the recording of the band's 18th album.
I think you are right with your first comment. But I doubt Steve doesn't want to record a new album, the whole band should have a desire. They had in 2021. I think they are delaying it because of Nicko. For the first time, touring is a bit ahead of it.

I think you are right with your first comment. But I doubt Steve doesn't want to record a new album, the whole band should have a desire. They had in 2021. I think they are delaying it because of Nicko. For the first time, touring is a bit ahead of it.
Yes, Nicko told himself to Metal Hammer UK around the Mountbaten Festival that he's still not fully recovered from his stroke this early 2024. I think he's not 100% fit because he has played the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour last year and it tired him. Maybe the band should have let him rest in 2023 and should have played the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour this year and the 2nd one next year, this would have allowed Nicko to recover 100%.

Yes, Nicko told himself to Metal Hammer UK around the Mountbaten Festival that he's still not fully recovered from his stroke this early 2024. I think he's not 100% fit because he has played the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour last year and it tired him. Maybe the band should have let him rest in 2023 and should have played the 1st leg of the Future Past Tour this year and the 2nd one next year, this would have allowed Nicko to recover 100%.
Well, you don't recover from a stroke by resting. You actually need to be the more active you can, to reconnect your brain to your body. Resting would actually have preventing him to recover.

Do you think we might see more than 1 never played live before song during all legs of the tour?
I think there is a chance. Besides the TOS material, The Alchemist and Man Of Sorrows (I mean, it's kind of a must now) are very popular. Bruce will want to play the hits, but maybe he'll want to play as many different solo songs as possible.

^Other great live songs would be: Solar Confinement, Omega(!), Machine Men and all TOS songs. His choices will be curious.

From the new album, all songs will sound pretty good live.

Well, you don't recover from a stroke by resting. You actually need to be the more active you can, to reconnect your brain to your body. Resting would actually have preventing him to recover.
Well, resting is what doctors recommend here in France to people having strokes. But, I agree it's one of the thing people have to do after having a stroke along with doing exercise but gradually and gently, without forcing and without doing it frankly. Being on tour in 2023 too quickly after his stroke is one of the reasons why Nicko is not 100% fit today. He should have done exercise but not so violently as being on tour with Maiden.

Do you think we might see more than 1 never played live before song during all legs of the tour?
I think there is a chance. Besides the TOS material, The Alchemist and Man Of Sorrows (I mean, it's kind of a must now) are very popular. Bruce will want to play the hits, but maybe he'll want to play as many different solo songs as possible.

^Other great live songs would be: Solar Confinement, Omega(!), Machine Men and all TOS songs. His choices will be curious.

From the new album, all songs will sound pretty good live.
I just hope they play The Tower being my favourite heavy metal song EVER

Interesting podcast interview about The Mandrake Project and all things Bruce Dickinson.
Thank you for sharing. Some curious things:

Bruce said that ''Aces High'' and ''Run To The Hills'' are difficult songs for him to sing live. He can usually do ''Aces High'' at 80-90% with the right tempo.

''Quest For Fire'' on the other hand is probably the most challenging song to sing in the studio for him. He said it's basically unsingable because at the time he is not sure that Steve understood voices and they do songs in weird keys. Back then (unlike now) they didn't think much if a song will be signable live.

He also said that they will continue to play as long as they can. This their life.

''Quest For Fire'' on the other hand is probably the most challenging song to sing in the studio for him. He said it's basically unsingable because at the time he is not sure that Steve understood voices and they do songs in weird keys. Back then (unlike now) they didn't think much if a song will be signable live.
There's nothing weird about QFF's key. It's in E minor, just like The Trooper or Hallowed Be Thy Name. The issue is that the vocal lines in the verses are totally absurd and written by someone who (at least at the time) was not familiar with how singers approach their lines.

There's nothing weird about QFF's key. It's in E minor, just like The Trooper or Hallowed Be Thy Name. The issue is that the vocal lines in the verses are totally absurd and written by someone who (at least at the time) was not familiar with how singers approach their lines.
What I think he means is, it's a weird key, as in too high key, relative to the vocal lines.

Back