Bruce Dickinson

Crazy that Shadow of the Gods is 2012. That vocal performance wipes the floor with everything on Final Frontier two years earlier.

Actually, now I think of it that timeline doesn’t seem right. That song sounds like Bruce circa 2005, not 2012. He wasn’t even singing like that in 2008 (or in studio 2006). Bruce was also in concept album mode in 2012 so seems weird he would choose to re-record a Three Tremors song for an unrelated project. Also is she saying Eternity Has Failed would be from 2012 as well? because there’s no way, the song was obviously reworked post Maiden.

Okay after listening more closely, I think I’m starting to notice spots where I can tell between older Bruce and more recent Bruce. Eternity Has Failed, the first verse is 2014 era and the second verse is definitely recent Bruce. Right?

Perhaps y’all have already pointed this out but I’m not going through pages and pages of discussion to check.

Any other super noticeable moments like this you all have noticed?

Releasing Eternity was a strange choice in the end, especially as most of the outro (which I assume was integral to the story) was mostly cut.
Maybe because he changed the title and some of the lyrics, he didn't need the longer outro to fit the story.
View attachment 34915

According to Leana (Bruce’s wife), most vocals are from 2012, with the exception of Sonata (20 years ago) and Afterglow, Many Doors and Rain (2022).
Every songs feature vocals from 2022, more or less. The least (or maybe not at all?) - Wounds, Mirror and Shadow.

From 2022 - Ragnarok, Many Doors, Rain, Resurrection Men, Mistress. Eternity was probably written in 2012, vocals from 2012/2014 and 2022 for sure.
Actually, now I think of it that timeline doesn’t seem right. That song sounds like Bruce circa 2005, not 2012. He wasn’t even singing like that in 2008 (or in studio 2006). Bruce was also in concept album mode in 2012 so seems weird he would choose to re-record a Three Tremors song for an unrelated project.
Shadow's soft and chorus vocals might be from 2005/2006 (not the heavy vocals imo), but might as well be from 2012 (or 2014). Maybe it's the latter, especially if we compare his vocals live in 2011. I don't think Bruce's voice or approach is that different from 2006 to 2010.
Spot on about the concept mode in 2012, but the song fits the concept of the album very well with its lyrics. It won't be a surprise, the song is strong and he used Tyranny as a title track.
Crazy that Shadow of the Gods is 2012. That vocal performance wipes the floor with everything on Final Frontier two years earlier.
The vocal recordings for TFF album will remain a mystery. We should listen the live versions with Bruce's golden voice.

Actually, now I think of it that timeline doesn’t seem right. That song sounds like Bruce circa 2005, not 2012. He wasn’t even singing like that in 2008 (or in studio 2006). Bruce was also in concept album mode in 2012 so seems weird he would choose to re-record a Three Tremors song for an unrelated project. Also is she saying Eternity Has Failed would be from 2012 as well? because there’s no way, the song was obviously reworked post Maiden.

I bet Shadow of the Gods is from 2004 (Bruce sounds the way he did on Tyranny of Souls and I think the vocals for that album were recorded the year before the album was released) and the vocals from 2012 are from 2013 instead, which is when Roy Z and Bruce got together to write the material.

Last edited:

This is all really an allegory, right?

Always in my stuff. What I aspire to is that it works as a tune. The lyrics work as comprehensible and memorable lyrics. But, if you want to read the subtext, there's layers underneath that. I do that for my own benefit. I mean, other people may get it.

Edit: and a fitting continuation...

And when I put the running order of the album together, I realized that what we’d been creating all along was, not a concept, but it was a musical. It was an emotional journey that you start at the beginning… and then when you get to “Face In The Mirror” it really takes a U-turn. Takes you to a completely different world, which I love. That’s what I love about records. That’s what I love about sitting and listening to Pawn Hearts or Van Der Graaf. I love the world they take you to.

I love that too about Maiden's and Bruce's music.

When I sing tunes, not exclusively, but often, I’ll create a little mini-movie to go with what I’m singing. For example if I’m singing some stuff that Steve’s given me, I’ll create a mini-movie that reflects what the words are reflecting and then I will visualize that so I’m not actually singing the words, I’m describing the pictures that the words inspire.

This is so awesome and perfect for metal.

Last edited:
I bet Shadow of the Gods is from 2004 (Bruce sounds the way he did on Tyranny of Souls and I think the vocals for that album were recorded the year before the album was released) and the vocals from 2012 are from 2013 instead, which is when Roy Z and Bruce got together to write the material.
I agree, Shadow of the Gods has Bruce's warm and controlled tone from Tyranny of Souls.

Mandrake Project
has the funny feel of a compilation album to me. I'm enjoying it in that spirit...

What is the other song that Steve wanted and Bruce said Roy wrote this one ?
I doubt it's on the album. Bruce would have noted it.

The Dickinson/Z songs are: Ragnarok, Many Doors, Resurrection Men, Wounds, Shadow and Sonata.
We can exclude the first two (written last year) and Sonata and Resurrection Men (too different for Maiden). Shadow maybe too, piano again and the heavy part would be odd for Maiden. Only Wounds remains - which has a Maiden vibe to it. The instrumental part will be with guitar melodies (plus a solo/s). Steve would make it longer. Actually, this could be a great Maiden song. It's hard to say because Eternity is really strong and we think the other song should be too.

Bruce said all the songs he showed Steve are on the album (and he picked Eternity as his favorite), but the other song was said to be from AOB sessions. The only song on the album that sounds like a song from this album is Mistress Of Mercy, which has a melody and chorus that will surely appeal to Steve, but Eternity is much better and Maiden-esque.

Mandrake Project has the funny feel of a compilation album to me. I'm enjoying it in that spirit...
If have to describe the vibe of the songs loosely:

TM - Many Doors
BTP - Resurrection Men, Rain, Wounds
Skunkworks - Mistress and some choruses
AOB - Mistress, Wounds, Eternity, Ragnarok
TCW - Sonata, Shadow, Eternity
TOS - Eternity, Shadow, Mirror, Wounds, Ragnarok

I doubt it's on the album. Bruce would have noted it.

The Dickinson/Z songs are: Ragnarok, Many Doors, Resurrection Men, Wounds, Shadow and Sonata.
We can exclude the first two (written last year) and Sonata and Resurrection Men (too different for Maiden). Shadow maybe too, piano again and the heavy part would be odd for Maiden. Only Wounds remains - which has a Maiden vibe to it. The instrumental part will be with guitar melodies (plus a solo/s). Steve would make it longer. Actually, this could be a great Maiden song. It's hard to say because Eternity is really strong and we think the other song should be too.

Bruce said all the songs he showed Steve are on the album (and he picked Eternity as his favorite), but the other song was said to be from AOB sessions. The only song on the album that sounds like a song from this album is Mistress Of Mercy, which has a melody and chorus that will surely appeal to Steve, but Eternity is much better and Maiden-esque.
However Resurrection men has the gallop and powerful chorus including the lyrics connection with Eternity should fail title

The week before the release of the album I put all of Bruce’s solo albums in my car. Here are some thoughts for you to argue over.

• I don’t like Starchilden or Welcome to the Pit. I used to but not anymore.
  • As a result, Accident of Birth has slipped down my ranking. For years it has been my favourite Bruce album.
  • Tattooed Millionaire starts and ends well. The middle is crummy.
  • Shoot all the Clowns and Sacred Cowboys are the best songs on Balls to Picasso
  • There isn’t a bad song on Skunkworks (although sometimes I don’t get Dreamstate)

However Resurrection men has the gallop and powerful chorus including the lyrics connection with Eternity should fail title
True. The chorus would fit TBOS album. The heavy middle part, no. But the song didn't sound very AOB-esque to me.
Shoot all the Clowns and Sacred Cowboys are the best songs on Balls to Picasso
Wow. It's not that weak of a song though.

Back