Bruce Dickinson

He loves to sing ''Stranger In A Strange Land'', ''Hallowed Be Thy Name'' (''with the right speed''), ''Sign Of The Cross'', ''Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son'', ''Moonchild''.
This is interesting. I wonder if the two Seventh Son songs will ever see a comeback. I think Moonchild is a great opener and would love to see it return. Seems like the whole band really enjoys that album though and I wouldn't be surprised if it became the subject of another nostalgia tour (maybe even playing the whole album live).
Another tour is on the track - when people are familiar with the new album.
IMO this adds fuel to my thought that Iron Maiden might take 2025 off. If there are no touring plans the following year Bruce has an schedule to continue touring on this album.

New interview with Bruce. Very informative.

The curious bits:

At first he wanted to write a follow-up to TOS as his next solo album. He came up with a backstory for it from the ''Accident Of Birth'' song. For the comic too.

Roy likes some of the Skunkworks songs. They could play some songs in the future from it. ''A different rock style''.

At some point he wanted the intro of If Eternity Should Fail's demo to have trumpets and a western vibe. The outro was a 5 minute thing he scrapped. He just wanted to experiment how it sounds with a narrator telling a story at the end of a song.

He wrote 6 songs with Roy in one week for the AOB album. A very traditional heavy album according to him.

He thinks TCW is a very unique album. And BNW is a terrific album.

He loves to sing ''Stranger In A Strange Land'', ''Hallowed Be Thy Name'' (''with the right speed''), ''Sign Of The Cross'', ''Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son'', ''Moonchild''.

His favorite Maiden album is: SSOASS, Powerslave, POM (''a stronger album than TNOTB'').

''Afterglow Of Ragnarok'' and ''Many Doors To Hell'' were written earlier this year. And some other songs!
''Shadow Of The Gods'' has vocals from 2014 and harmonies from now.

Some of the vocals on the new album were recorded in 2014.

In some songs the keyboards are really prominent.

''Sonata (Immortal Beloved)'' is from either 1997, 1998 or 2005. Roy was inspired by Beethoven for it. 80% of the vocals are one take and were improvised on the spot. Some of the vocals are from the 90's! Bruce sings a bit of the verse and the chorus! The story is: the king returns to the frozen queen and the angel of death is also involved. He described it as a bit of a different song, he even forgot about it.
He won't play it on THIS TOUR because they need preparation before they play it.

Another tour is on the track - when people are familiar with the new album.

He will have a video screen for the upcoming tour! Wow. He wants to do something really special. He mentioned that ''Shadow Of The Gods'' and ''Sonata'' would be great with it.

The idea is: drums on one side (not in the middle), keyboards on the other side and space in the middle for solos. For the vocalist too.

The core of the setlist will probably consist of songs from AOB and TCW - with only around 4 songs from the new album. That's a surprise. What about TOS? They might swap songs like ''Navigate The Seas Of The Sun'' and ''Jerusalem''.
''Tears Of The Dragon'' is certain and maybe one more from BTP.
He also mentioned a ''surprise song'' for the tour. Hmm... a Maiden one?
They might have 3 or 4 songs that they don't play every night (''like Starchildren''). He doesn't want to play a lot of mid-tempo songs.

2 guitarists are not needed on tour because Roy alone is like having ''one and a half guitar players'' and Mistheria is a beast with the keyboards. He mentioned a keytar! ''The keyboards gives an extra dimension to the songs''.

They haven't played together yet, so they have to see what will work.

So in a way Sonata is almost like a sequel to taking the queen. Good to know.

This is interesting. I wonder if the two Seventh Son songs will ever see a comeback. I think Moonchild is a great opener and would love to see it return. Seems like the whole band really enjoys that album though and I wouldn't be surprised if it became the subject of another nostalgia tour (maybe even playing the whole album live).

IMO this adds fuel to my thought that Iron Maiden might take 2025 off. If there are no touring plans the following year Bruce has an schedule to continue touring on this album.

There’s gotta be a 50th anniversary tour for Maiden. Doubt they’ll take 2025 off.

Roy Z is one hell of a guitar player, but I disagree with the bit on 2 guitars not being needed for the material off Accident of Birth or The Chemical Wedding.
Yeah, Bruce got specific about Mistheria and his keytar when talking about replicating the dual guitar parts, so I guess that's the approach we should expect -- though he also said the band hadn't played together yet, so they'll still have to see what works and what doesn't.

I was surprised to hear Bruce kind of passing on the idea playing Tyranny Of Souls songs on this tour except for maybe swapping in "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" sometimes, but he sounded very affirmative about planning for future solo tours, so who knows what will come next. Someday I'd really like to see a "Legacy Of The Bruce" type show where he draws an even spread of songs from across all of his solo albums and B-sides, even if he just did a limited set of dates and recorded a video to sell to people who couldn't attend in person.

I recognize that it is unusual and not a strong possibility, but I think we need to recognize that for people as old as the Maiden members, one year can make a huge difference and in 2025 we're going to be half a decade removed from Pandemic time. Adding in the fact that Nicko just recovered from a stroke and two members are cancer survivors, I am anticipating that Maiden will be approaching their scheduling differently going forward. We're already seeing an example off this in 2024 with the band mostly taking the summer off. Maiden toured all summer this year, Bruce is touring through the summer followed by an Iron Maiden tour through November. If Maiden does a summer tour in ‘25 and Bruce wants to do a solo tour either in spring or fall, that’s going to be a busier than usual schedule and a lot on his voice (not to mention the possibility of studio time which I would think is out if there is that much touring). On the other hand, I concede that Maiden are creatures of habit and the most likely outcome is going to be touring. Still, eventually the yearly tours are going to come to an end.

That said, I don’t buy anything about a 50th anniversary tour - I’ll believe it when I see it. The only time they have come close to acknowledging an anniversary was Number of the Beast 25, and that felt more like a marketing gimmick to get the play classics fans excited for the AMOLAD cycle to continue. Honestly Maiden skipping touring on the 50th anniversary would actually be pretty in character given how they have handled anniversaries in the past.

Yea, not sure what the tradeoff is there. I'm guessing the potential loss in profits by not making enough copies is more desirable than the cost of manufacturing a bunch and having them sit on the store shelf for months.
That.

Its cost of lost alternative. Physical copy in that case is for fans and not for profit. With limited copies you can always say that they are sold out and spin it as a success.

Just in case anyone is interested, a short interview with Bruce. This is the one where the bit about his wedding was picked up by Blabbermouth, but there is more than that:

I find it rather unusual that he seems to see the need to explain to the public exactly why he got married.
I would have rather revealed something surprising about my new album or its development that would have made those who might be on the fence about whether or not to buy it curious.

I can't imagine them sitting out a year without a good reason. That won't do them any good as musicians, as a band, and they certainly know that. Even if they don't do anniversary tours in the strict sense, it would also be particularly strange in their anniversary year.

Today, Z2 is making 666 editions of "Bruce Dickinson's The Mandrake Project" signed bundles available to fans. This uniquely curated collection comes with one (1) "The Mandrake Project" foil collector's card, signed by Bruce Dickinson; one (1) felt trading card pouch; one (1) "Bruce Dickinson's The Mandrake Project" issue No. 1; one (1) "The Mandrake Project" first printing certificate of authenticity; one (1) Bill Sienkiewicz-illustrated "The Mandrake Project" art print and will be sold as a set for $100 USD, only at Z2comics.com.

On one hand it's going to be fascinating to hear Bruce vocals from three (or maybe even four if the aughts are included) on one record, on the other hand I'm afraid it might sound a bit too disjointed. Really curious how it'll turn out.

A kind of a solo/band project.
Yes and no. Skunkworks was the name of the band and of the album. It was supposed to be a self-title release, but the label would only allow the release if it was under the name Bruce Dickinson. That's why it's not really a solo album of his.

Good!

Skunkworks, in my opinion, is not only the worst thing Bruce has ever put his voice too but it’s a contender for the worst album I’ve ever heard.

I wouldn’t even use the skunkworks cd as a drinks coaster, I think it’s utterly piss poor.
The only way that Skunkworks could be the worst album you've ever heard is if it's the only album you've ever heard, thus automatically being the best and worst at the same time, for lack of comparisons to other material :D

Last edited:

Today, Z2 is making 666 editions of "Bruce Dickinson's The Mandrake Project" signed bundles available to fans. This uniquely curated collection comes with one (1) "The Mandrake Project" foil collector's card, signed by Bruce Dickinson; one (1) felt trading card pouch; one (1) "Bruce Dickinson's The Mandrake Project" issue No. 1; one (1) "The Mandrake Project" first printing certificate of authenticity; one (1) Bill Sienkiewicz-illustrated "The Mandrake Project" art print and will be sold as a set for $100 USD, only at Z2comics.com.

Yep Bruce goin all in for the $$. Few pointers here:
- cannot buy the comic separately
- wtf do i do with a certificate of authenticity and a collectors card
- a bloody trading pouch too.

Wonder what the comic alone would cost. Like is there a way to only get the comic?!

I think it's possible. Bruce had mentioned Stranger and Prisoner in an interview from 2022.
Wasn't Moonchild rumored for the current tour? Imagine the next tour (Hits, deep cuts or even album tour) with - Moonchild, Seventh Son, Infinite Dreams, To Tame A Land, Only The Good Die Young and Rime! Wow. Not easy songs for Nicko, and for Bruce.
I really doubt they won't be playing live in 2025. They love to tour. 2025 could be like 2024 for Bruce and Maiden's tours (winter tour again). I assume (and hope) that they will be in the studio then as well. Maiden tours won't be that long anymore (~3 months per year), but the legs could be spread over 3 years again (I hope not). Summer of 2025 should be busy for Maiden (early 2025 is for studio time).

As for Bruce's touring plans, it seems the upcoming tour will be mainly for his 2 most popular albums. The new album is just an ''excuse'' (and something he wanted to finally finish) for now. I can see him continuing TMP tour next year (or even next years), with him playing more songs from it and from the other albums. Lots of touring for Bruce, but this is the only way to combine both worlds. And he said he wants to establish the band live and it won't be easy.

Last edited:
Yeah, Bruce got specific about Mistheria and his keytar when talking about replicating the dual guitar parts, so I guess that's the approach we should expect -- though he also said the band hadn't played together yet, so they'll still have to see what works and what doesn't.
I agree. He gave a reason though - his songs don't have that many harmonies anyway. It will be curious to hear how it will sound, but keys can't properly replace the sound of a guitar imo.
I was surprised to hear Bruce kind of passing on the idea playing Tyranny Of Souls songs on this tour except for maybe swapping in "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" sometimes, but he sounded very affirmative about planning for future solo tours, so who knows what will come next.
I was also surprised by him not mentioning TOS. Another bummer, I love the album. Maybe the set will be less than 15 songs! But with future solo tours and songs rotation for the upcoming one, there is a good chance. And Bruce said TOS is a very good album.

I was surprised to hear Bruce kind of passing on the idea playing Tyranny Of Souls songs on this tour except for maybe swapping in "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" sometimes, but he sounded very affirmative about planning for future solo tours, so who knows what will come next. Someday I'd really like to see a "Legacy Of The Bruce" type show where he draws an even spread of songs from across all of his solo albums and B-sides, even if he just did a limited set of dates and recorded a video to sell to people who couldn't attend in person.

He’s taking the dream theater route here. Really hoping he’s thought this through cause his songs are super heavy and if a keyboard and a single guitar would suffice is left to be seen. Playing stuff from TOS will be a challenge for sure cause that was the heaviest of all his albums so far unless he plans on playing Seas of the Sun only. Z is gonna have to double down on that distortion to give it the effect then. A lot of pressure on him of all I guess.

Last edited:
Some thoughts about the interview:

Bruce had 17 demo songs for several years, but he wrote more new songs for the album this year (and in 2022) and said they are not that related to the comic. That's a bit odd. The older songs are not strong enough or were part of a different story?

His voice is more or less the same, but having vocals on the album from 2022, from 2014, and even from the 90's is risky. I hope it won't sound messy.

''Sonata'' must be a ''very'' different song since they need preparation. Some classical bits for its 10 minutes are to be expected I guess. A sequel to ''Taking The Queen''.

Bruce was not a fan of the video screens before, but he will use one because everyone is using them now.

Back