Bruce Dickinson

I still don't hear a smooth transition. I wish he wouldn't do these ultra high notes when he sounds so amazing in lower register. Was listening road to hell just to remind myself why I loved about the past solo albums

But that’s the point of it. He’s trying to agonize the pain of things going sour with the whole Mandrake Project. You can’t do that on a low register. Knowing Bruce, he does like to dramatize & make theatrical events of possible dystopia or destruction. This is very similar to Elysium by Stratovarius if you’ve heard it.

What I'm trying to figure out is why Bruce sounds so much better on this new track (and entire album most likely) than he does on Maiden's latest work. I love Senjutsu and think he sounds phenomenal, but on Ragnarok, his singing doesn't sound like it's aged at all since Tyranny of Souls. Production tricks? Enthusiasm? The benefit of a singer writing songs for his voice? I had my son listen to the song and he said "Holy Shit, Amazing Father of Mine! By gum, Bruce sounds amazing, and much younger than on the recent Maiden albums! You can quote me on this!"

That’s the exact first thing that caught my ear when I heard this the first time. The man sounds super young here. Given the tongue cancer and all the stuff he’s been through, he’s still got that voice. I can understand his vocals will require a greater degree of production as compared to 18 years ago but what the hell?! The man’s been through a lot and even now he’s killing it.

But that’s the point of it. He’s trying to agonize the pain of things going sour with the whole Mandrake Project. You can’t do that on a low register. Knowing Bruce, he does like to dramatize & make theatrical events of possible dystopia or destruction. This is very similar to Elysium by Stratovarius if you’ve heard it.
Fair enough. I am happy if we get some tracks like Road to hell, Abduction, Accident of Birth etc on the album. I am just here for the songs, I don't really care about the comics, video and the whole William Blake stuff.

If they don't sell bags of chocolate coins for Christmas using the design of the Mandrake Project coin/seal thing, they've missed a major marketing ploy!

Definitely with you on this. Maybe tie up with Hersheys and come up with something as cheesy as “Mandrake Kiss” or something :D

Fair enough. I am happy if we get some tracks like Road to hell, Abduction, Accident of Birth etc on the album. I am just here for the songs, I don't really care about the comics, video and the whole William Blake stuff.

That’s the happiness we all hope for & as fans we deserve after 19 years of waiting.

The 20-seconds outro of Afterglow Of Ragnarok gives me Powerslave intro vibes. It fits the song.

You still have many lessons to learn, young Padawan. I once took my wife to a lecture Bruce was giving at Heathrow Airport about his career in aviation on a very cold winter day. We walked in the snowy weather to listen to Bruce tell some tall stories about flying…

and 10 years later she is still my wife!
I see have far to go on my quest!

It's not so much the regular pre-chorus that sounds aimless and unfinished. It's specifically the one after the solo where it sounds as if something was edited out. That part isn't even close to being a smooth transition.

+ I really think it mainly just comes down to the lower key. Imo Bruce’s best performance on Senjutsu was Writing on the Wall, a song he wrote the vocal parts for and in a lower key as well.

To put it in perspective, Afterglow is still in a much lower key than TWOTW.
Really? That's surprising. The verses on that song see him reach a ton and are incredibly strained. Like half the album features Bruce in his great lower register, particularly Steve's songs, but TWOTW of all songs is the one where Bruce felt the need to push himself to the detriment of the song. Also, while the song might be in a lower key, he is using it to sing in his higher register.

Having said that, yes, B minor suits his voice far better than D or E minor nowadays.

Last edited:
I’m not sure which format to pre-order. I’m a CD and vinyl guy. I quite like the idea of getting the HMV exclusive vinyl to support them.
(Don’t say all of them)

It's true, the Bruce and Maiden versions of Bring Your Daughter are the exact same thing, no sonic differences at all.
There are some minor differences, but he didn't include it in the album. That's the difference.
Bruce will play at Masters of Rock next year. Looks like he will headline together with Priest, Avantasia and Accept.

Probably the best headliners I have seen for next year at any festival.
For sure and that's great.
What I'm trying to figure out is why Bruce sounds so much better on this new track (and entire album most likely) than he does on Maiden's latest work. I love Senjutsu and think he sounds phenomenal, but on Ragnarok, his singing doesn't sound like it's aged at all since Tyranny of Souls. Production tricks? Enthusiasm? The benefit of a singer writing songs for his voice?
I think he sounds equally great on both. The vocals were recorded in 2019 and in 2022.
Now, Bruce in 2005, the TOS era is something different - this is peak Bruce. What a power! Other factors are probably the style of the songs, him writing for himself (although I don't his best performance on SJ is Writing On The Wall, for example; imo he sounds young in Hell On Earth and Days Of Future Past) and doing more takes. The harmony vocals help the voice.
The main riff and the verse vocal line sound badass. The chorus makes me quite nostalgic, because it's such a classic Bruce melody. I've seen some people not digging the bridge, but I think it's great. The transition works well musically and the change of mood makes the song richer and helps the melodic chorus stand out. Overall, Bruce's performance is perfect. He delivers in the higher parts.
I agree with everything. Love the pre-chorus.
I reckon that there isn't much money in selling albums, hasn't been since people started downloading music for free. The money is with concerts and merch and selling brand on items like beer, monopoly etc. So why bother producing albums every two years, why bother spending much to get a great sounding album?
To present yourself and your music in the best possible way. Also, they have money and music comes first for them, regardless of the different times.
Really? That's surprising. Also, while the song might be in a lower key, he is using it to sing in his higher register.
This.

Last edited:
I reckon that there isn't much money in selling albums, hasn't been since people started downloading music for free. The money is with concerts and merch and selling brand on items like beer, monopoly etc. So why bother producing albums every two years, why bother spending much to get a great sounding album?
Excuse me, but for me, as a fan, this reason is irrelevant. They built their fanbase around releasing good to great albums and playing live. And now, for selfish reasons, they want to abandon one ingredient which made them great in the first place? And replace it with merch and beer? That's not how things work. From business perspective they do, what they want/need to do, but they must evaluate all factors.
Here's me purely speculating about band-fan relation ethics. You can't totally change your ways of doing things. Consequences may be bad for you. Of course, Maiden is not doing that.

That’s the exact first thing that caught my ear when I heard this the first time. The man sounds super young here. Given the tongue cancer and all the stuff he’s been through, he’s still got that voice. I can understand his vocals will require a greater degree of production as compared to 18 years ago but what the hell?! The man’s been through a lot and even now he’s killing it.
I don't hear it. Maybe we listening to different songs.

Last edited:
I am happy if we get some tracks like Road to hell, Abduction, Accident of Birth etc on the album.
I'm sure we will. Rain and Wounds could be like the first two, while I feel Face In The Mirror or Resurrection Men could be like Accident.
It's not so much the regular pre-chorus that sounds aimless and unfinished. It's specifically the one after the solo where it sounds as if something was edited out. That part isn't even close to being a smooth transition.
That's actually true, it probably would have been replaced with a (needed) longer solo or with more (needed again, I'd say) repeats of the outro, but I like the part so hearing it one more time is nice for me. I'm starting to think they never had the idea for this song to have a melodic interlude, they probably wanted it to be with more vocals, being the start of the story and the album opener. In contrast with Abduction from the previous album.

I love the Zwijsen acoustic cover of "Afterglow Of Ragnarok" -- it really brings out the middle eastern melodies and makes me appreciate the underlying music even more.

I will get the deluxe CD from my local HMV.
Sadly, I haven't found a preorder option for the deluxe CD in the U.S. yet. Walmart.com lets you preorder the blue vinyl LP version, but that's it. Amazon only lets you preorder the digital version.

EDIT: It looks like this site will look up nearby mom & pop record stores that will allow preorders. It's still $32 + tax, but at least I'd avoid the shipping.

Also, just a reminder during this busy time that if you find a single thread for discussion of Bruce's entire solo career confining, you are all welcome over at the Strange Death Discussion Forum, where the entire forum is dedicated to Bruce and Adrian's solo careers. :ok:

Last edited:
He doesn't waste any time.

Now I'd never have said Ragnarok sounded anything like IESF on first listen, but Zwijsen's covers have got me hearing IESF in Ragnarok.

The 20-seconds outro of Afterglow Of Ragnarok gives me Powerslave intro vibes. It fits the song.
Also Iron in the soul outro of Machine Men, albeit little bit slower.
Also Machine Men will become Resurrection Men on the new album.

Judging by song titles, I am curious for those songs the most:

2. Many Doors to Hell (Road to Hell vibes)
3. Rain on the Graves (The most mystic/epic vibes)
4. Resurrection Men (the most cruel vibes)

6. Eternity Has Failed (Eternity's story reversed)
9. Shadow of the Gods (the most brutal)
10. Sonata (Immortal Beloved) (the most epic The Alchemist outro vibes)

:innocent: 7. Mistress of Mercy song title gives me bad vibes of Mother of Mercy. I can't stand that song. Bruce's vocals are horrible on that one. Let's hope Bruce's solo song will turn out great.

Last edited:
Back