Bruce Dickinson

Someone on the official forum pointed out that the vinyl sticker says "features Afterglow of Ragnarok and Rain on the Graves" so Rain on the Graves a likely second single.

It looks like they changed the concept from If Eternity Should Fail, certainly the whole "I am formed of the dead, I am the harvester of the soul meat" looks more like the bad guy in the video than the main actor.
"Protagonist" doesn't say anything about the character's morals or lack thereof, though. He could well be an anti-hero of sorts while still being the point-of-view character for the audience.

But admittedly I think Bruce ended up tweaking the story a fair bit since while Necropolis certainly can still become more villainous, I don't get the feeling he'll be pulling out the nefarious monologue about how he's lost his humanity for good. Seems like he'll likely be a bit more nuanced of a viewpoint character.

I think it will be another video…It could be fine to turn every song in a videoclip but 4 months until the album…
Actually, 3 months if I’m not mistaken. All of December, all of January and all of February.

Also, even though the tour is a ways away, if Roy Z is the only guitar player, how will that sound live? A bit thin I would imagine. Especially during the solos when you’ll just lead guitar and bass.

As others pointed out, song is growing on me, but:
1) Bruce is too low in the mix.
2)Production is not so good like it was on AOB/TCW/TOS. Probably Roy Z was infected by Bruce with 'Arry's I can produce virus.
3) I have strange idea that this album is only first and there will be another one about dark adventures of Alcohopolis Necropolis.

I find Maidens sound fresh, authentic, live and true in a way. Unlike Priest so sounds to me like they just have to make music to get by. I mean Priest sounds good and great, but its not really alive. The music dont feel anything, not for me. Maiden feels alive. And Maiden sounds different. I like it.

I loved the way Senjutsu sounded.
I feel that this is more of a discussion about songwriting, not production. Maiden's songwriting with Priest's production would be absolute perfection.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. SNJ is a great album but its production is quite bad and includes literal mistakes (the solo sounds on the second disc producing audio artifacts). No high profile release should ever include something embarrassing as that, especially when they sat on the album for so long. Maiden used to care about the little details; nowadays they just take the first half decent take (sometimes not even that) and call it a day. Maiden sounds "different" but also amateurish and bad, in my opinion. The music is still fantastic, but it deserves so much better than what we've gotten in the last decade.

But again, it's all subjective and there is no correct answer. At least some folks are happy with the recent productions, even if they aren't my cup of tea.

----------

As for the Necropolis/Protagonist discussion: The video hints at time travel or alternate dimension shenanigans. What we saw as the "good guy" was a young Necropolis who saw visions of the end or whatever. I could imagine the antagonist being an old Necropolis who has unlocked eternal live, has shed his humanity and has gone mad. Ultimately a "battle against yourself" kinda thing.

Last edited:
I found t
I have no real issues with the production once I disabled the Atmos version in Apple Music. It's modern and chunky but not Sneap generic.
This is what I have been hearing since Stratego came out about production. Switch off this and that, trying on different speakers, avoiding YouTube version for Hq sites etc etc. For other songs, I can simply put on my Sony xm5 and enjoy. In this song I can hardly hear the first verse section due to so much shit going on.

This song had the promise of Book of Thel II but needed a stronger instrumental mid-section with a longer solo. I wish Adrian had been on this album because Roy Z and Adrian combo were fantastic on the earlier albums

This is what I have been hearing since Stratego came out about production. Switch off this and that, trying on different speakers, avoiding YouTube version for Hq sites etc etc. For other songs, I can simply put on my Sony xm5 and enjoy. In this song I can hardly hear the first verse section due to so much shit going on.

This song had the promise of Book of Thel II but needed a stronger instrumental mid-section with a longer solo. I wish Adrian had been on this album because Roy Z and Adrian combo were fantastic on the earlier albums
I feel the same way. Hey, man, if you disable this, twiddle that knob to the max, of course, if you have those great headphones and that super duper audio system.... Then, my friend, you will be able to enjoy newest Maiden/Bruce album. BULLSHIT. I have no such problems with the old albums. None of that shit. All albums do sound good/decent even on shittiest device. F****

Also I wholeheartedly agree: Adrian is missing/needed on Afterglow of Ragnarok. Big time. That Roy's solo just plain sucks. Like ruined orgasm, I dare to say. Ha ha.

My only production quibble was with the Atmos version. To be fair, I find those mixes entirely pointless anyway. This isn't something apparent (I assume) in the physical version, just some funky 3D mixing or whatever.

The stereo version sounds fine to me. I'm still warming up to the song somewhat but that video is just not my style.

Adrian missing is going to be a large and noticeable missing element that made AOB and TCW so great. He was sorely missed on TOS and I feel that continuing here sadly.

Still, pumped for March 1. I assume we'll get something else before then!

Back