Bruce Dickinson

A couple weeks ago we were discussing the best place to start in Bruce's discography, and aside from just playing each album chronologically, I made this playlist that I think is pretty representative of his whole discography and short enough to fit on a CD (albeit barely):

There's at least two songs from every album:
  • Tattooed Millionaire gets its title track (a classic and live staple) and "Born in '58" (a personal song from Bruce).
  • Balls to Picasso gets "Laughing in the Hiding Bush" (a live staple) and "Tears of the Dragon" (probably his most famous/popular solo song).
  • Skunkworks gets "Back from the Edge" and "Inertia", two singles from the album that are pretty representative of its alternative style.
  • Accident of Birth gets "Man of Sorrows" (a big ballad and a song Bruce worked on for years before putting on a record), plus the title track and "Road to Hell" (both classics and live staples).
  • The Chemical Wedding gets "Trumpets of Jericho" and "The Tower" (live powerhouses), and "Book of Thel" (the biggest epic of Bruce's solo discography).
  • Tyranny of Souls gets "Soul Intruders" (a heavy track representative of the album) and "Navigate the Seas of the Sun" (a popular acoustic ballad).
  • Additionally, two non-album tracks are thrown in, the heavy "Breeding House" and mystical "Wicker Man", so as to entice new listeners to check out the deep cuts you have to look a little harder for.
I think it's a pretty good balance. Sure, I'm leaving out obvious tracks like "Darkside of Aquarius", "Chemical Wedding", and "Tyranny of Souls", but I think that those songs hit harder when you actually spin the records themselves. This is to help newcomers gauge where their interests lie and to give them a push into the deeper world themselves.

What is interesting is that Bruce stated that they will play the new songs, songs from AOB and TCW plus Tears Of The Dragon... Which is interesting and gives a bit more fuel to the fire to the rumour of H touring.

Plus it's incredibly difficult to know if H recorded on the album, as he spends the whole winter in Malibu, so he could go and record with Roy at any time.

getting egged by Bruce’s Easter eggs. Really beginning to think Adrian is gonna be a surprise by Bruce is holding on to cause the whole damn world wants it.
Well new video... Bruce only confirms Roy as a guitarist, but strangely says... "People who recorded the album all said yes" We know that Tanya was not the basist on the album, but will likely play the tour.

I'd say this video slightly increases the chance of H touring with Bruce.
Of course. I have a feeling Adrian might be on the album too. ''People who recorded the album all said yes'' - Bruce will probably be playing a lot of new songs and as I said before, I can't imagine Adrian only playing rhythm. I thought Tanya recorded the bass parts?
Bruce also mentioned playing songs from AOB & TCW plus classics like Tears Of The Dragon, but what about TOS, Bruce? I hope he won't skip it.

Of course. I have a feeling Adrian might be on the album too. ''People who recorded the album all said yes'' - Bruce will probably be playing a lot of new songs and as I said before, I can't imagine Adrian only playing rhythm. I thought Tanya recorded the bass parts?
Bruce also mentioned playing songs from AOB & TCW plus classics like Tears Of The Dragon, but what about TOS, Bruce? I hope he won't skip it.
Tanya didn't record on the album. Confirmed by her. "It was already done." Bass was probably played by Roy.

Some drums were recorded by David Moreno a long time ago. But could've been replaced afterwards, as those sessions took place years ago. Here is where the "most of the people on the record" part comes to play. There could be multiple drummers on the record and it's entirely possible that Bruno Valverde came into the picture after touring with Smith/Kotzen in early 2022 (and H recommended him to Roy or Roy came to a gig).

So, the last question is... Is H on the record. At this point I'd say 60/40 towards yes. But what we know for sure is that Roy wanted to play and record with Adrian again. And... With Eddie Casillias gone somebody needs to do the backing vocals live. Roy doesn't sing.

I think he said at a talkshow of his that he wants to perform songs off of Tyranny of Souls. I would expect maybe 2 or 3 songs from it. He has two more albums to choose from when the tour starts compared with his last tour in 2002.

And I wonder if he will play any Maiden songs. If Eternity Should Fail?

His version of If Eternity will be on his album, so I think he'll play it. And I hope that will be the only Maiden song in his setlist.

Navigate is my favorite song but I'm not sure, that's too moody, a silent song... that may not work in live ambiance. I would love to hear River of No Return, Soul Intruders and Abduction from ToS. (Or Kill Devil Hill)

I think he said at a talkshow of his that he wants to perform songs off of Tyranny of Souls. I would expect maybe 2 or 3 songs from it. He has two more albums to choose from when the tour starts compared with his last tour in 2002.
Yes. It's just a bit odd that he forgot to mention it, he was really proud of it in 2005. He will probably play his favorites (title track, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun, Kill Devil Hill) and probably Abduction or Power Of The Sun. I hope he will rotate the setlist a bit so he can play more songs. River and Intruders are also strong songs that will shine live. It is more difficult for set space with the new album, but everything is possible with rotation.
His version of If Eternity will be on his album, so I think he'll play it. And I hope that will be the only Maiden song in his setlist.

Navigate is my favorite song but I'm not sure, that's too moody, a silent song... that may not work in live ambiance.
I agree with both. I'm ok without a Maiden song/s, Eternity too (I don't really want any unless it's a deep cut).
Navigate also has double vocals in the outro which will be difficult to produce live.

Assuming Adrian tours with him, I'd like Bruce to play maybe 1 Maiden song that he and Adrian wrote that was never or rarely played. I'm thinking Back in the Village. The rest should be solo stuff.
Hooks in you, hooks in me
Hooks in the ceiling for that well hung feeling
No big deal, no big sin
Strung up on love, I got the hooks screwed in

:innocent:

Last edited:
Tattooed Millionaire gets its title track (a classic and live staple) and "Born in '58" (a personal song from Bruce).
That works.

Balls to Picasso gets "Laughing in the Hiding Bush" (a live staple) and "Tears of the Dragon" (probably his most famous/popular solo song).
That also works.

Skunkworks gets "Back from the Edge" and "Inertia", two singles from the album that are pretty representative of its alternative style.
But this totally ignores the more rocking corkers like "Solar Confinement" and "Innerspace". I'd at least swap out "Inertia" for one of those.

Accident of Birth gets "Man of Sorrows" (a big ballad and a song Bruce worked on for years before putting on a record), plus the title track and "Road to Hell" (both classics and live staples).
Hard to go wrong with almost any pick from this album, but I might lean more toward "@GhostofCain" or "The Magician" instead of the bog-standard "Road To Hell"...

The Chemical Wedding gets "Trumpets of Jericho" and "The Tower" (live powerhouses), and "Book of Thel" (the biggest epic of Bruce's solo discography).
2 out of 3 ain't bad. Drop "Trumpets" for "Jerusalem" instead.

Tyranny of Souls gets "Soul Intruders" (a heavy track representative of the album) and "Navigate the Seas of the Sun" (a popular acoustic ballad).
I'd go "Power Of The Sun" and "Kill Devil Hill" here. Title track if we're slipping in a third.

Additionally, two non-album tracks are thrown in, the heavy "Breeding House" and mystical "Wicker Man", so as to entice new listeners to check out the deep cuts you have to look a little harder for.
Solid choices, though I'm not as in love with "The Breeding House" as many others are.

"Return Of The King" and "Eternal" are killer B-sides. I also have a soft spot for "Firechild". "Armchair Hero", "No Way Out...Continued", and "Darkness Be My Friend" might be interesting dark horse choices, too.

Tattooed Millionaire
Tears of the Dragon
Something from Skunkworks
Darkside of Aquarius
Road to Hell
Man of Sorrows
Chemical Wedding
Book of Thel
Jerusalem
Kill Devil Hill
A Tyranny of Souls

New songs