Bruce Dickinson

I'll post a more comprehensive review of my thoughts on the album later tonight.

Sonata? Are those time-capsuled vocals? 0 lisp and sounds completely different than rest of the album. Sounds to me like 2014 Bruce or even 1998 Bruce.
Definitely older vocals. Just like Shadow Of The Gods which is almost entirely 2014 (or earlier) Bruce.

Not sure I'd even rank it above TOS at the moment.

Let's see how it goes, but AOB and CW were made with H and when Bruce was 39 and 40 years old. Even TOS he was only 47.

I can see what he means by 'mature metal' but so far, Mandrake is missing a lot for me.

Very bitty sounding album with tracks that literally sound like they were made at different times. I don't even like the cover art for the first time on a Bruce album since Balls to Picasso (which had a very bad cover picture ;) )

but AOB and CW were made with H
…and Eddie Casillas and Dave Ingraham, not just the tightest rhythm section Bruce has ever worked with but also one of my favorites overall. This specific incarnation of Bruce’s solo band had terrific writing, fantastic groove, and memorable guitar leads and solos. It’s a shame we’ll never see this band back together again, unless Iron Maiden comes to an end and H needs something to do.

I have listened to the album once and there are some good things on it and some others that I do not particularly enjoy.

Positive aspects first: Shadow of the Gods is quite possibly the best song on the album. I also liked Many Doors to Hell, with that very Scorpions-like riff and the Hammond organ. Mistress of Mercy is a nice throwback to the Accident of Birth era, although it is nowhere near the quality of Freak. Face in the Mirror is a good ballad, showcasing the excellent qualities of Bruce's voice for this type of song.

On the other hand, some other songs are fairly mediocre and sound like a copy and paste of very different bits without any sort of coherent flow. Resurrection Men is a perfect example of this, as is Fingers in the Wounds (the latter is redeemed by the Kashmir-like interlude). Sonata is overlong and somewhat boring; younger Bruce's voice shines on the song though.

The production is disappointing considering what Roy Z had managed to achieve on previous Bruce solo albums. It does not help that Bruce is straining a lot in places and does not sound that good on the more recent vocal takes. The contrast with his voice on Sonata, for example, is striking.

I hope the album will grow on me, but I struggle to think it would ever get in my top 5 of Bruce solo albums.

Mistress Of Mercy

This is Bruce Dickinson. What a track. Love it. Vintage Roy solo on this one. Great sound layering on this one. Best track on the album so far, by far. The ending could've been halved, tho.
The final chorus brings about that feeling of joy and like everything in life’s going well for a change. Plus for some reason reminds me of TMNT kicking ass

I've listened to the album once and I have mixed feelings. I can hear a lot of Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Arthur Brown etc. Resurrection Men riff is like Chris Rea or something. Some oriental influence in some other tracks. Many Doors to Hell and Rain on the Graves are my favourites and Afterglow and Face in the mirror my least favs. Eternity is a lot weaker than the Maiden version although the intro is better here. Sonata is a weird one but I like the vocals. I don't know if it will grow on me, but right now it's like a 5 or 6/10 album.

It’s really noticeable in Eternity.
Yeah, almost got whiplash when the chorus with the new lyrics came in. Of course it's not really fair to compare post-cancer Bruce to his younger self, but on the other hand having both voices on the same song kinda invites these comparisons.

I'm not gonna pretend that he's a bad vocalist nowadays; he's still great. But hearing his younger voice on the same track makes me think two things: 1.) It's such a shame that he didn't release the album a decade ago and 2.) I would've liked him to commit one way or another; either use the old vocals or re-record the entire vocals. Don't mix and match.

Last edited:
Back