Bruce Dickinson

Thought something along those lines. So basically "There are/would be balls to Picasso"? As in, the "to" in the title is putting it in Picasso's POV?

Small correction, the artwork for The Chemical Wedding isn't an original creation:

I wasn't talking about mascots either. I'm purely talking about aesthetics and the artwork used for most of his work either doesn't align with my taste at all (TM, BTP, TOS, TMP) or is inoffensive but boring at the same time (Skunkworks).

You left out Scream for Me Brazil one of the worst covers of all time

'The Mandrake Project' artwork brings together the three periods : it's an original creation, with a previous idea that already exists on 'The Book Of Souls' and 'Senjutsu' (by putting the most important element on a dark background) but is still a shitty idea which doesn't do justice to the content of the new album.
Bruce's covers have never been anything special, but TMP cover (dark background aside) is perfect for the idea and theme of the album. The background options are probably only a garden or a forest? Not having a mascot works for him, and he has different (not that cool) creatures for the albums, which is cool imo. Some views about the covers:

Tattooed Millionaire - only the dragon would have been cooler, but this was not a serious album. Even Bruce admits it. Still, his official debut solo to have him on the cover is kind of expected, and the Japanese graphics on it at least adds some significance.

Balls To Picasso - really bad title. Even with Bruce's original intended title (Laughing In The Hiding Bush), or cover, I doubt it would have been different. Tears Of The Dragon would have made a great metal album cover, but it wouldn't have done justice to the material on it, which was really fun (I admit) but very experimental. Maybe just the dragon's eye with the magic tear. Yeah. Gods Of War is also a cool album title that probably would have made a ''right'' cover for the album.

Skunkworks - not a fan on this one but it kind of fits the album and in a way most of the great lyrics (BTP has strong ones too, btw). It's a cover for the mind, which is always a good idea.

Accident Of Birth - it seems Bruce wanted a mascot for one album, but Derek could have done a lot better. With a bit of a background, too. Not a big fan of this one, although it's somehow attention-grabbing. The album title is difficult for a cover.

The Chemical Wedding - this is his best cover. Whatever painting he had chosen would have worked great. It's mystical and fits the theme & tone of the album.

Tyranny Of Souls - it fits very well, but I think it would have been much more spectacular with an artist's imagination for a background. I like it though (that face...), it's strange in a nice way. I would have added some ''souls'' to it.

The Mandrake Project - I like it, the ancient vibe fits, but then again, it could have been great with a background. Or one of Bruce's characters from the concept. Idk, finding this medallion inside a pyramid (as a painting; the promo poster for the album has a pyramid? maybe more will be revealed in the booklet) or in an ancient city with a dark setting. Cool.

'The Mandrake Project' artwork brings together the three periods : it's an original creation, with a previous idea that already exists on 'The Book Of Souls' and 'Senjutsu' (by putting the most important element on a dark background) but is still a shitty idea which doesn't do justice to the content of the new album.

What is the problem with chocolate coins??? Unless your comment is suggesting that the brown material is not chocolate…

Last edited:
Skunkworks - not a fan on this one but it kind of fits the album and in a way most of the great lyrics (BTP has strong ones too, btw). It's a cover for the mind, which is always a good idea.

--
Tyranny Of Souls - it fits very well, but I think it would have been much more spectacular with an artist's imagination for a background. I like it though (that face...), it's strange in a nice way. I would have added some ''souls'' to it.

I really like Skunkworks cover, as it really fits the album and it's soundscape and has a nice, fresh feel to it! Nothing absolutely legendary, but as mentioned, quite nice indeed.

As for Tyranny of Souls, it's a part of a very classic painting (a bit like The Chemical Wedding) so I think any additions or other changes to it would've been a bit weird. :D Then again, just like with the previous album, a variety of different paintings would've worked quite well with this one. :)

The Mandrake Project cover seems... nice! The sleeve will probably have something cool going on and if it's anywhere as strong with that as Skunkworks, The Chemical Wedding & Tyranny of Souls were, I'll probably like it a lot.

I know it is bizarre, but the March issue is released in early February, the April one in early March, etc.
Anyway, the English people have pudding and eat beans and tomatoes for breakfast... So, when it comes to oddities, they are the champions... :D

Last edited:
Yeah like why did it have a damn piranha on it?! What’s the relevance ?

It is a fish that can be found in Brazil. Derek Riggs created a picture of the puppet based on Munch’s scream but Bruce thought it was shit and opted to release the album with the fishy cover.

Edit: I remember reading an interview with Derek Riggs from the early 00s in which he said that Bruce did not want to pay him for the artwork and that strong words were had before he got the money he was owed.

Back