Bruce Dickinson

Come on! Welcome To The Pit is quite enyoable!
When it comes to bad Dickinson solo songs Lickin´ The Gun comes to mind the first.
Nah, imo, this song is not Bruceish. Some grunge/alternative metal thing, I don't know how to categorize it.
Accident of Birth, my favorites:

1. Freak 7.5/10
2. Toltec 7 Arrival 10/10 (used to as alarm sound)
3. Starchildren 8.5/10
4. Taking the Queen 10/10
5. Darkside of Aquarius 10/10
6. Road to Hell 10/10
7. Man of Sorrows 10/10
8. Accident of Birth 10/10
9. The Magician 7.5/10
10. Welcome to the Pit 6/10
11. The Ghost of Cain 9.5/10
12. Omega 8/10
13. Arc of Space 9.5/10

My edition contains The Ghost of Cain :nana:

Last edited:
I am listening to welcome to the pit right now. I have to say that even though it is weakest song in the album, it's still quite good. I like the bridge and the chorus and the solo is great too. I would have happily taken it as a single for the new album.

Sorry, but this bit

I'll bring you back from the brink
Are you surprised in every way that you like it?
Are you surprised that you want it?

Rocks my socks off no discussion!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The Magician and Welcome To The Pit are filled with neat little details and they're both at least 9/10s in my opinion. Fantastic little gems and some of my favorites on the album.

Damn, heavily disagree with those! Freak is quite good in my opinion (maybe an 8/10, though it really should've had a different name) but Welcome To The Pit is absolutely fantastic! Curious to know what your issues are with those songs.
Freak (what's with some of Bruce's song titles indeed, even for the new album) is ok-ish, has a cool Skunkworks-esque riff, the best part are the verses, but other than that very underwhelming (especially the solo), including the weak chorus melody. Pit has a not that bad chorus and nice solo (ofc), but it's just so uncatchy(!) and uninteresting song. Boring even. This is not typical of a Smith/Dickinson song. Adrian writes best classic metal and rock.

Every other AOB song is 8-10 for me.
I would have happily taken it as a single for the new album.
Wow.
Regarding the album, is it too much to expect 3-4 songs like abduction, road to hell, the tower etc? I will be very happy if we do.
^That's all I ask for.

1. Freak 7.5/10
2. Toltec 7 Arrival ?/10
3. Starchildren 6/10
4. Taking The Queen 8/10
5. Darkside Of Aquarius 10/10
6. Road To Hell 8/10
7. Man Of Sorrows 7/10
8. Accident Of Birth 10/10
9. The Magician 9/10
10. Welcome To The Pit 9.5/10
11. The Ghost Of Cain 9/10
12. Omega 10/10
13. Arc Of Space 9/10

My ratings (from memory) would be something like that. Toltec 7 Arrival is just an interlude and pretty much forgettable so I didn't give it any score. I guess it's a 5 or 6 or something. Nonthing offensive, but not interesting in any way either.

Starchildren is the weakest track for me. Has cool moments but all the other songs have more things going for them.

Also, if we count The Wicker Man (Bruce's song) that would be my choice for least favorite. Really don't like that track, it's like a 3 or something.

1. Freak 7.5/10
2. Toltec 7 Arrival ?/10
3. Starchildren 6/10
4. Taking The Queen 8/10
5. Darkside Of Aquarius 10/10
6. Road To Hell 8/10
7. Man Of Sorrows 7/10
8. Accident Of Birth 10/10
9. The Magician 9/10
10. Welcome To The Pit 9.5/10
11. The Ghost Of Cain 9/10
12. Omega 10/10
13. Arc Of Space 9/10

My ratings (from memory) would be something like that. Toltec 7 Arrival is just an interlude and pretty much forgettable so I didn't give it any score. I guess it's a 5 or 6 or something. Nonthing offensive, but not interesting in any way either.

Starchildren is the weakest track for me. Has cool moments but all the other songs have more things going for them.

Also, if we count The Wicker Man (Bruce's song) that would be my choice for least favorite. Really don't like that track, it's like a 3 or something.
It's interesting that you rate even Welcome to the pit higher than Road to hell! For me the harmonized guitars of Road to Hell and the solos are worthy of that track being on any iron maiden album.

... Sonata (Immortal Beloved), the most beautiful song you will hear in 2024 (yes, I bet), with a refrain whose simplicity is a triumph ...

It's really unbelievable how different I imagined this song before the interviews and the review! In my mind it was the opposite of simplicity!

Now I imagine it like this:

1706642627925.png

Save my beau-u- ty! What Beau-u-ty?

spoken: No need to worry!

Save my beau-u- ty! What beau-u-ty?

It's interesting that you rate even Welcome to the pit higher than Road to hell! For me the harmonized guitars of Road to Hell and the solos are worthy of that track being on any iron maiden album.
Again, RTH is great but it's a bit too simple for me. I prefer WTTP's atmosphere and love its chorus.

Freak 8/10
Starchildren 7/10
Taking The Queen 10/10
Darkside of Aquarius 10/10
Road to Hell 9/10
Man of Sorrows 7/10
Accident of Birth 8/10
The Magician 10/10
Welcome to the Pit 5/10
Omega 9/10
Arc of Space 7/10

Haven't chimed in yet on the new songs, because I needed to let them settle a bit.

I think they're quite good. Both of them. Was a bit put off by the production at first - I thought it would sound a lot more like Tyranny of Souls than it does, because of the same people involved. (That's my favourite by far out of Bruce solo efforts.) But the songs have stuck in my head, so I'm excited about the album!

Back