BRUCE DICKINSON SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> Darkside Of Aquarius wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
This was much better than I remembered. The first six songs are excellent, after that the album takes a major dip with very few redeeming moments. This could've been a really great 10 song album, but for some reason they loaded it with filler.

Also voted for all the bonus tracks.

Skunkworks is not bad. It gets a bad rap, but it's not bad. Back from the Edge is up there with Bruce's very best and Inertia is a great song. Some solid songs here and there as well.

Innerspace has some of my favourite guitar riffs (in the pre-chorus) and those are a strong feat in Inside the Machine as well. Nice solo breaks. I love the drive in these songs. They are more metal, I guess, especially the former. When the album came out, I had to get used a lot to it, but Innerspace clicked immediately. Fantastic singing.

Its lyrics are interesting as well:

I've thrown away my images, they're all so distant now
Discovery was a stranger then, welcome to my house
Whatever demons torture me, I love them like a friend
Nothing lasts forever but the certainty of change

(That last line plays a main role in Darkness Be My Friend)

As if Bruce is philosophizing about his recent music adventures. Change is scary but also a great help.
And at the end of the song he says:

Anyway, I'm coming back

Whatever that meant, he did come back to Maiden. ;)

I find Headswith the least good track. It's very Soundgardenish (that's not a bad thing!) but I can't find much to enjoy.
Octavia is his Smashing Pumpkins song. :)

Well, I seem to be the only one who doesn't dislike Italian Drummer. Way better b sides on Skunkworks than on Balls. Generally I like the funkier Skunkworks stuff, but dislike when they just strum chords in a brit pop punk way.

I like Italian Drummer a lot. Hilarious. Also enjoyable: Americans are behind. I only voted for these to protect some others but in hindsight it might not have been necessary yet.

Last edited:
I think I may be the only Iron Maiden fan who just does not like the "joke" songs. They're funny as a sketch in a chuckling kind of way, but nothing I'd ever want to relisten to as an actual song.

Innerspace and Inside the Machine are great underrated tracks.

And the CHOKING ROOM

Also
mp_inventory.jpg

Was sickly and didn't have time or patience to listen to this properly, plus not everyone has voted yet. I'll make an effort to update by the end of the weekend :ok:

Honestly, I could update this every 2 days and get it done in record time but I care more about people getting into this music than just voting for the sake of voting :ok:

Skunkworks clicked with me at last... sort of. I still think it's Bruce's worst album, but it's not outright terrible anymore. Voting for Faith, Headswitch, Meltdown, Octavia, Innerspace, Drummer, R 101, Re-Entry and Americans.

Back