BRUCE DICKINSON ALBUM RANKING: FULL RANKING REVEALED

[TCW and AOB] both have […] weaknesses
Lies and slander!

Two of my favorite albums ever made, there’s really nothing else like them. They feel like renaissance works through a modern lens. And better than the majority of Maiden’s own albums. Love them.

From that list I really like Inside the Machine and Innerspace but I think comments like "fine enough" are pretty much it, they're good songs but the music is a little basic. And I maintain that Bruce's voice just doesn't fit. The other songs represent some of my least favorite moments of the album. IMO the sequencing is fine and he actually put the strongest material toward the front, Space Race and Back From the Edge are about as good as Skunkworks gets.

You can tell by reading about Bruce's comments both in retrospect and at the time, as well as listening to early demos post Maiden that Bruce thought of himself as having a Peter Gabriel like figure. He wasn't just leaving Maiden, he was leaving Metal as we know it. I could think of a million reasons why that transition didn't work out for Bruce the way it did for Gabriel, but it does make Skunkworks make a little bit more sense. But I think that, unlike Peter Gabriel, he never gave himself the chance to really dig into other genres. Skunkworks is a solid album and a neat proof of concept, but it never gets beyond that.

The results were expected and logical. My ranking is almost the same. AOB & TCW are classics, masterpieces and special albums in time. Highlights of Bruce's career. A true gifts.

Accident Of Birth, what a classic metal! Not only for Bruce.

His most Maiden-esque album - and is full of hit songs. Songs 4-9 (plus 11) are all top-notch!

The album combines heavy, melodic and catchy with an interesting use of instrumentation (classic metal and a modern feel) - a trademark for his solo stuff.

The production is not polished, but it's raw, powerful, atmospheric and fitting for the album and the style. Vocals, guitars, solos and melodies are good, the drums could have been a bit better. I like it a lot. It has that ''ancient'' vibe to it that fits the song titles very well.

Bruce's performances and vocals are pure gold. This is his best voice for me. High but with lots of power. Some of my favorite performances are on Queen, Road, Man Of Sorrows, the title track and Omega.

Roy's work is great, talented and inspiring, as expected - riffs (Starchildren, Aquarius, the title track), solos (Queen, Aquarius, title track, Omega).

Although he wrote only 2 songs, the album would not have been the same without Adrian. We should note that. I really like his approach to the solos from this album on. All of his solos are great and some are one of his best for me (Omega, Magician, Road, Man Of Sorrows, Aquarius). The vibe and emotion they bring is unmatched! His riffs also shine in his classic style.

Eddie's bass work and Dave's drumming should be noted and praised. A band with a great and perfect chemistry.

The album is almost the ultimate metal work for me. But songs like ''Freak'' and ''Welcome To The Pit'' are noticeably weaker than the rest of the material. And both songs are different to them. I don't dislike the former, but it's underwhelming as an opener. Cool riff, verses and not a bad chorus, but that's it. The solo is not good (should have had a dual guitar attack) and it's very repetitive with this not good enough or exciting chorus. It's like a Skunkworks song made heavier. Pit is one of my least favorite songs written by Adrian and Bruce. It's basically a (not good) Psycho Motel song (that could have been a perfect bonus song) and is boring, something very atypical of their songs. Adrian's solo is cool and the chorus is not that bad, but it's not good either.

The instant classics:
title track - heavy, melodic, riffy, anthemic.
''Road To Hell'' - a lost classic, melodic and anthemic Maiden hit single.
''Man Of Sorrows'' - amazing ballad with an untouchable feel in everything.
''Darkside Of Aquarius'' - it's like an 80's epic of Maiden - fast, melodic, high vocals, anthemic, calm part, different parts, storytelling, epic in feel.
''Omega'' - one of the most impactful songs that Bruce has ever written; beautiful with amazing vocals, solos, melodies and playing.
''Taking The Queen'' - very interesting song that combines acoustic parts, heavy vocals and melody just perfectly.
''The Magician'' - classic anthemic rocker with a lot of character; Adrian's solo is one of my favorites.

As for the rest: ''Starchildren'' is the traditional mid-tempo heavy rocker with high chorus that is solid, and ''Arc Of Space'' is a very emotional and beautiful acoustic piece. There's something special about an acoustic song to end an album. The vocals are amazing.

''Toltec 7 Arrival'' fits the mystical vibe of the album. I like when intros are put within the album.

The bonus song ''The Ghost Of Cain'' is without a doubt an album song. Very fitting, with its heavy parts and melodic vocals. Another great rocker from Adrian and Bruce. I like the drumming break in the middle a lot. It's unique.
They were on a roll. Some of the other songs from the writing sessions like Wicker Man, Nightmares (Bruce mentioned 6 leftovers) are strong, I'm sure. Well, we know Wicker Man - perfect ancient mood, heavy riffs, solos and interesting vocals and structure. Unique again.

One of the best ''comeback'' albums. Pure metal. I've always viewed it as a natural progression from SSOASS album.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chemical Wedding! A metal ethereal work that perfectly combines classic and modern. You don't make such classic albums in metal every day. This is the special and unique achievement of Bruce's career. Many tried, but he achieved something very influential in the 90's.

The album is different from all of his other works, which is great and even more impressive. The sound of the album is like its own trademark, and not many albums have such big impact solely because of that. The band strikes again.

The production is strong and very fitting for it. Heavy, even more raw, but at the same time somehow polished, like a work of an alchemist. It gives a lot of room for atmospheric passages and ideas.

Bruce's vocals are with a different deeper and heavier approach, but they are great, epic and best suited for the style of the album. His soaring performances on King, title track, Tower, Book, Urizen, Jerusalem are powerful and timeless.

Roy's work and ideas are even better than the previous album. King, title track, Tower, Book(!), Trumpets, Alchemist. As for solos - Alchemist, King, Book.
Eddie's bass work and Dave's drumming are superb again.

Adrian is at his usual high level. He again only wrote 2 songs and they are kind of different for him. Machine Men combines his classic and 90's style very good, while Killing Floor is a full-on 90's song with interesting ideas. His solos in King, Tower, Book, Urizen and Machine Men are all great. King, Urizen and Book are some of my favorite solos of his.

There are no weak or filler songs. A perfect album we can say.

''King In Crimson'' is one of the best openers with its chorus, riff and instrumental section. The title track brings the magical atmosphere. ''The Tower'' is classic Maiden and every part is golden. ''Killing Floor'' is probably the ''weakest'' song, but it's still quite good with its riffs, wild and dreamy vocals and the brutal groove. ''Book Of Thel'' is one of the best epics in metal! Seriously, few songs can come close to it. Every part is classic metal and classic Bruce. ''Gates Of Urizen'' is a classic metal ballad with anthemic chorus. ''Jerusalem'' brings the whole mystical and magical vibe of Bruce's solo career into one song (that chorus!). ''Trumpets Of Jericho'' is solid heavy metal with big chorus. ''Machine Men'' makes an awesome use of heavy riffs and vocals that stick in your mind. And ''The Alchemist'' is just a special closer. I have yet to hear another song with such atmosphere and impactful vocals in one piece. Bruce sounds majestic and the calm parts just transport you to a different world! If that's not magic.

note: I would have added twin-guitar melodies in Trumpets and the title track.

The bonus songs - ''Return Of The King'' is one of my favorite songs written by Adrian and Bruce. It should have been in the album (although the album has a perfect vibe). Classic anthemic metal rocker with great chorus and solos(!). ''Real World'' is also a very good song, but it wouldn't fit in the album with its overall vibe style of vocals. Awesome vocal ideas and instrumental part.

A crowning achievement in the heavy metal that brings classic, magic and perfection!

Back