Blaze Bayley

I just got in from a long day and the new Blaze album has already arrived in the post! What a great surprise. I’ll be blasting it in the car tomorrow.
When I saw people are getting it WAAAAAY before the official release date, I started kicking myself for not having a preorder in already. Fixed that today! :dancinggeek:

First impressions are good. I’ve listened to it twice and there are some great and catchy songs. Some lyrics are still a little ‘woe is me’ again. I think he needs to change the record. The first half is like an improvement on War Within Me and the second half is similar to the trilogy but with stronger songs.
Is there at least One long Epic Song?

Is there at least One long Epic Song?
To be honest, I wasn’t paying much attention to track lengths. Some of the songs felt epic.

Standouts
  • Mind Reader. I think it is his best opener since Ghost on the Machine. It’s really fun and had a good groove.
  • Ghost in the Bottle. Good rocker with some catchy hooks.
  • Circle of Stone. What a great groove in places.
  • A Day of Reckoning. This is an epic song. Some touches of Sabbath in the guitar in places. It has an excellent singalong chorus and outro. I love how it comes out of the clean section at the end.
  • Until We Meet Again. Fully acoustic but a nice way to end the album.
His voice is fantastic throughout. The album is much stronger than War Within Me and the trilogy.

I agree with @chaosapiant - The Man Who Would Not Die. Great album, with some really excellent songs like "Waiting for my Life to Begin", "While You Were Gone", "Crack in the System" just to name a few.

What is Blaze's best album? I've never been a fan, but I'm willing to listen to one album. If I like it, I may get more.
#1: Silicon Messiah 10/10 (7.56/10)
#2: Endure And Survive 10/10 (7.39/10 avg.)
#3: Promise And Terror 11/11 (7.23/10 avg.)
#4: Blood & Belief 10/10 (7.16/10 avg.)
#5: Infinite Entanglement 12/12 (7.14/10 avg.)
#6: The Redemption Of William Black 11/11 (7.07 avg.)
#7: Tenth Dimension 12/12 (7.04/10 avg.)
#8: The Man Who Would Not Die 12/12 (6.61/10 avg.)
Bonus tracks 6/6 (5.65/10 avg.)
#9: The King of Metal 10/10 (4.91/10 avg.)
^ From Diesel's song ranking game from 2018.
Personally I love Tenth Dimension and the first two Infinite Entanglement albums the most but Silicon Messiah is his universally liked album.

To be honest, I wasn’t paying much attention to track lengths. Some of the songs felt epic.

Standouts
  • Mind Reader. I think it is his best opener since Ghost on the Machine. It’s really fun and had a good groove.
  • A Day of Reckoning. This is an epic song. Some touches of Sabbath in the guitar in places. It has an excellent singalong chorus and outro. I love how it comes out of the clean section at the end.
His voice is fantastic throughout. The album is much stronger than War Within Me and the trilogy.
Thanks a lot!!!!

Standouts

Thank you!

What is Blaze's best album? I've never been a fan, but I'm willing to listen to one album. If I like it, I may get more.
For what it's worth - I have eight of his ten studio albums. I think "Silicon Messiah" is the best by a wide margin.

"Silicon Messiah" is vaguely a concept album about man versus machine. (Like some of his other concept albums, the story is unclear). "Stare at the Sun" is arguably the best song of his career (and that includes his material Maiden) - haunting lyrics with some great guitar solos and beautiful melodies. "Ghost in the Machine" is a heavy, powerful opener. "The Brave" and "The Launch" are shorter and energetic. The title track and "Born as a Stranger" are also highlights. It's a great, consistent album.

My (high level) takes on the others:
  • "Tenth Dimension" - a good, consistent album. The highlights are "Kill and Destroy" (energetic) and "Meant to Be" (a powerful ballad)
  • "Blood & Belief" - mediocre except for the final song ("Soundtrack of My Life")
  • "The Man Who Would Not Die" - not sure if I've ever listened to this from start to finish, but "Samurai" is a favourite (even with some cliched lyrics)
  • "Promise and Terror" - a dark album, written after his wife died. My favourite is "City of Bones" (about the siege of Stalingrad - I think?)
  • "The King of Metal" - widely considered his worst album
  • "Infinite Entanglement" - part of a three album trilogy (which tells us the story of the fictional William Black, even though it's hard to follow the plot). The highlights are the power ballad "Calling You Home" and the uplifting/energetic "A Thousand Years".
  • "Endure and Survive" - a good representation of his later career. The highlights are "Together We Can Move The Sun" (a long power ballad that really showcases his voice) and "Escape Velocity" (short and rousing). But this also features a number of generic mid-tempo songs ("Blood", "Fight Back", etc)
  • "The Redemption of William Black" - same pattern as the past few albums. There's one really strong longer/more complex song ("Eagle Spirit") and one very good shorter song ("Prayers of Light"). The remainder of the album is solid but largely forgettable.
  • "War Within Me" - the autotuning on this album is noticeable. "18 Flights" (about the band experiencing a flood during a show in Chile) is excellent - unique lyrics and a great chorus. The album ends with a strong one-two punch (the two longest songs on the album - "The Unstoppable Stephen Hawking" and "Every Storm Ends").
I enjoy Blaze Bayley's music. "Silicon Messiah" is one of the best rock/metal albums of the 2000's. Outside of that, most of his records have one or two very good songs, but there's a lot of filler. He has so many 4-5 minute mid-tempo songs that blur together. But (aside from "The King of Metal"), it's rarely offensively bad. I wish he spent less time trying to write concept albums and focused on lyrics that are more personal ("18 Flights" is more unique and interesting than the confusing plot of his "Infinite Entanglement" trilogy).

I personally love Blood and Belief; every single song kicks ass, although it tends to be the lowest fan-rated out of the first three albums. I'm fine with that, as the other two records probably are a tad bit better.

If I’m going to listen to a Blaze album, I pretty much always choose Tenth Dimension.

I also like Blood & Belief and the Infinite Entanglement trilogy. I really like the music from The Man Who Would Not Die and Promise And Terror, but Blaze’s performance on those albums is so uncontrolled that it’s hard for me to listen to them, with the exception of “While You Were Gone”, which just might be Blaze’s best song, IMO.

I personally love Blood and Belief; every single song kicks ass, although it tends to be the lowest fan-rated out of the first three albums. I'm fine with that, as the other two records probably are a tad bit better.
Really great album and quite personal to me. During that period I met Blaze twice after a gig.

There isn't a single album of Blaze in which I like every song.

His best album? War Within Me, Part 1 & Part 2 of the Trilogy and his debut album (ofc). Tenth Dimension is solid too. The rest have several strong songs.

His best vocal performances? TXF album and his first 2 solo albums for sure. 2008, for live. I like the timbre of his voice.

Back