Black Sabbath Studio Album Survivor: Results Thread - Heaven and Hell wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Troll votes by CI there. I mean I can't see any reason to vote for Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage currently, so hence a troll vote... :D

Troll votes by CI there. I mean I can't see any reason to vote for Master of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage currently, so hence a troll vote... :D

I shall respond as I normally do: Personal Taste.
I may be in the vast minority, but the Ozzy albums are actually all at the bottom end of Sabbath for me, there are some great tracks but no albums that I find to be fantastic. Not like it matters that I voted for them anyway, due to being the minority they won't be in danger until top 5 or so.

As a whole, I'd take both the Martin and Dio eras over the Ozzy era.

I don't really get all these votes for Cross Purposes and Tyr. Very atmospheric and melodic of the albums. There's a good flow and a big majority of the songs just works.

For "some" reason (like I don't know that reason), Dehumanizer has less votes. Yes, the album has Dio on it, but I find most of the songwriting under par. For the greatest deal, compared to these other works I find it a monotone affair, following the direction of Dio's least melodic solo albums Strange Highways and Angry Machines. While interchangeable riffs keep piling up, captivating melodies and memorable solos can be counted on one hand.

Last edited:
Tyr, Cross Purposes and Dehumanizer are all at a similar level for me, but Dehumanizer has TV Crimes which is my favourite song by far from those 3 albums.

But this is not about 'which album has the best song on it'. Judge the albums as a whole. One is one of my favourite Metallica songs but the And Justice for All album bores me to tears. I also like Computer God and I a lot, but these are album survivors not single song survivors.

Out of those 3 I would rank Dehumanizer and Cross Purposes closely, with Dehumanizer slightly pulling ahead. Tyr is lower.

The reason it has less votes is, again, personal preference. Even if the song writing were under-par, if I enjoy it I don't really mind. I actually enjoy both Strange Highways and Angry Machines as well.
Time Machine, TV Crimes and I are all awesome, the later is one of my favourite Dio tracks period.

Last edited:
But this is not about 'which album has the best song on it'. Judge the albums as a whole. One is one of my favourite Metallica songs but the And Justice for All album bores me to tears. I also like Computer God and I a lot, but these are album survivors not single song survivors.

You didn't understand my point. All 3 albums are close in my ratings, but because TV Crimes gets an excellent rating from me, it shifts the average rating of Dehumanizer above the other 2. Without TV Crimes, All 3 albums would have the same average rating.

As a whole, I'd take both the Martin and Dio eras over the Ozzy era.

I am of the complete opposite ilk on this.
I'd take the Ozzy era, well the first 6 records over the Dio era or Martin era. I kind of expect HaH to win this.
It seems that Dio is very highly rated on here.

Last edited:
I don't really get all these votes for Cross Purposes and Tyr. Very atmospheric and melodic of the albums. There's a good flow and a big majority of the songs just works.

For "some" reason (like I don't know that reason), Dehumanizer has less votes. Yes, the album has Dio on it, but I find most of the songwriting under par. For the greatest deal, compared to these other works I find it a monotone affair, following the direction of Dio's least melodic solo albums Strange Highways and Angry Machines. While interchangeable riffs keep piling up, captivating melodies and memorable solos can be counted on one hand.

I see your point on the "atmosphere" thing, which I partly agree with.
Maybe I just don't get Martin's voice because I don't understand why there aren't more votes for both CP and EI. Both very mediocre records to my ears, rich on atmosphere and nice productions, but some songs are really poor (eg Glory Ride, Hard Life, Back to Eden).
I should really listen some more to these albums before I can say more.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14: Thirteen
15: Seventh Star
16: Technical Ecstasy
17: Never Say Die
18: Forbidden
19: Born Again

Cheers Crimson, for not reacting angrily. :)
I guess you indeed can take the less melodic Dio and Sabbath better than I.

Glory Ride mediocre? Man I love that one. My fav of that album. Grabbing couplets, phenomenal solo (mid)-piece.
I should really listen some more to these albums before I can say more.
Alrighty. Who knows these records will grow.

@Unknown One: alright, got ya.

Cheers Crimson, for not reacting angrily. :)

Your post read as "I find/In my opinion" than I usually find, my reactions tend to be when there's more a statement of "It IS..." ;) I know everything posted is opinion, but it's the way it often reads :) (No offense intended btw)

I like Maiden for melody, but I listen to a lot of other stuff.. I would never call Motorhead melodic for instance :D 'I' just comes across as a straight in your face attack for me, kinda brutal and angry, which I love. On the Heaven and Hell live DVD he describes it as "A tiny letter but a huge song" I think? Time Machine feels very heavy and is lots of fun to play which helps my feelings on it.
The album sounds a bit under-produced perhaps? The drums sound odd and there's not much bite in places, but on the whole I still enjoy it. On a different day I would possibly put Cross Purposes ahead.

All of them I prefer to the Ozzy stuff though, there are some really great tracks and whilst his voice doesn't annoy me I just don't find there to be any albums past Paranoid that really make me pay attention across the board. Of all of Ozzy's work with Sabbath, 13 is actually the album that I find most consistent, and in a good way.

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12: