BBC condemn Death Metal

A

Anonymous

On Thursday 24th November, there will be a programme on BBC2 exploring the topic of Death Metal and killings. No doubt a frenzied propaganda wheel will be set in motion to discredit the music and stereotype the fans by the British "blame everybody but ourselves" television company. It is called "This World: Death Metal Murders" and focuses on killings in Norway and Italy, generalising metal no doubt as Satanic and suicide-inducing, based on Cannibal Corpse and Deicide. This TV programme is no doubt trying to paint up a bad image for metal bands.

Any thoughts?

Why don't you wait until you actually watch the programme before you start getting all paranoid? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, the Norweigian stuff is Black Metal to be precise, and why should you get wired up about this smear campaign? You should be laughing at how stupid the BBC are instead.

One word... one band... one horrid affair... Mayhem [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Hey, the BBC rules compared to the national radio company we have here... Plus, death and black metal encourage being gr1m and n3cro, and shouldn't be allowed to be sold to our youth... [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I just realised the programme is on at 9 0'Clock - the same time as Little Britain! I might not watch this programme now, in silent protest to the crappy BBC journalism.

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Nov 23 2005, 02:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Nov 23 2005, 02:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They are definitly gonna bring up the Columbine massacres.
Even though MM aren't death metal.
[snapback]123833[/snapback]​
[/quote]
You are aware that there's no real link between Marilyn Manson (and/or his music) and the Columbine killers, right? In fact, I have yet to see any substantial link between music and violence. Persons who commit violent acts are (using the technical language of psychiatry) whacked in the head. Music may appear to be an excuse, but if you take away the music those people would be just as violent.

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Nov 23 2005, 08:47 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Nov 23 2005, 08:47 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]They are definitly gonna bring up the Columbine massacres.
Even though MM aren't death metal.
[snapback]123833[/snapback]​
[/quote]

So you are gonna watch Little Britain on BBC? I thought the BBC was crap?

SinisterMinisterX is right, for you to be able to kill someone it has to be in you to do it. The music that you listen to has nothing to do with it allthough maybe it could act as a catalyst if you are Whacked in the head.

I'm sure just as many Coldplay, Britney or Westlife have have killed themselves (tho personally I would if I listened to that music) it just doesn't get publicised.

Exactly, blaming music is just a plain and simple case of scapegoating. And of course, the good ol' Mayhem story, sure I've heard it many a time, but I would love to see the BBC's take on it.

I wasn't saying I believed in music leading to murser, suicide or whatever.
I was just saying that the BBC will probably bring this 'supposed' link up.

Anyways, i'm watching Little Britain.
The new characters are hilarious.

Well, the show will be on tomorrow so we just have to be patient that's all. Besides, the best posts will probably appear when we have viewed the show so we could share our view on how they messed up on anything. So untill then...

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Nov 23 2005, 10:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Nov 23 2005, 10:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] And of course, the good ol' Mayhem story,
[snapback]123855[/snapback]​
[/quote]

at least one person knew what my post was refering too...

Hey, Mayhem did start the Norwegian Black Metal scene after all. Never forget your roots! Death Metal wasn't evil enough for them...

[!--QuoteBegin-Conor+Nov 23 2005, 08:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Nov 23 2005, 08:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I just realised the programme is on at 9 0'Clock - the same time as Little Britain!
[snapback]123834[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Oh yeah, there are video tapes [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Anyway, to PH, the new characters in Little Britain aren't that great, Lou and Andy still make it so good, the jokes are wearing a bit thin though. A 3rd series and still the line "I want that one" brings tears to many peoples' eyes in laughter. It's a pathetic show really, just a bit of a laugh.

I was gonna choose Little Britain over it too, but I've decided to go to the pub instead. £1.30 for a pint of Sammy Smith's bitter at my local - who wouldn't?! [!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, if you're interested, this is what the BBC have to say about the programme:
[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Death Metal Murders

Murder, rape, Satanism and necrophilia - the staple diet of millions of teenagers who listen to the lyrics of extreme heavy metal music. This World investigates the potential links between so-called 'Death Metal' and a series of gruesome crimes around the world.

In Italy a group of young Death Metal fans formed a Satanic Cult called the Beasts of Satan - at least four gruesome killings resulted. With exclusive access to the families, one of the killers and graphic police footage, the film tells the inside story for the first time.

We hear from the musicians (meet Necrobutcher - bass player for Norwegian band Mayhem), the kids and the parents from Oslo to California and ask just how far can music go in its ability to shock, and just how damaging might it be? This programme contains very strong language and upsetting scenes. [/quote]

Little Britain is full of repetetive and simple humor. Barely worth a laugh the first time you see it, nevermind the next 15 times when they repeat the same sketch week after week.

I'll be watching this though, i'd be interested to see the BBC's take on it all.

please post a short summary. It'll be at least 6 months before Danish TV even considers buying the programme, even though they swallow just about anything BBC makes whole. I'm a bit interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

Back