An album with demos, rejected material, etc.

Zare said:
I'd love them to force Nicko to re-record the drum tracks, this time the proper way.
When you listen to those tracks in concert, you realize how much was lost with his utterly stupid decision to oversimplify the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR93jefNuqQ

Compare those drums to studio record. On album, they are bleak and insignificant. Live, they are...thunder.
I don't think it would be worth it. That album is VERY unpopular and last time I checked it has barely sold a million copies. Going into the studio costs money and if they were to do that with Virtual I doubt that they break even.

Oh, I agree that it wouldn't be worth it financially. But as someone's signature says..."Iron Maiden should do a lot of things."

You all realize that all of those are high hopes, right?

I mean, you all know how much debut album means to Steve. And he didn't remaster/re-record it once they had big money (just several years after!), even after admitting that the final product doesn't sound anywhere near his wishes.
So chances of them doing proper remasters or re-records of any other albums are slim, at most.

Steve doesn't like looking back. Virtual XI was an album, a tour, a period in the past.

Zare said:
Steve doesn't like looking back. Virtual XI was an album, a tour, a period in the past.
A period they seem to be trying to forget, sadly.

LC, your three last posts began with "Oh". Feeling overly emotional today?  :D

A period they seem to be trying to forget, sadly.

I don't think they're forgetting any period;

Iron Maiden : Iron Maiden, Sanctuary, Phantom Of The Opera
Killers : Wrathchild
Number Of The Beast : The Number Of The Beast, Run To The Hills, Children Of The Damned
Piece Of Mind : The Trooper, Revelations
Powerslave : 2 Minutes To Midnight
Somewhere In Time : Heaven Can Wait
Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son : The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark : Fear Of The Dark
The X Factor : Lord Of The Flies, Sign Of The Cross
Virtual XI : The Clansman

This list contains all pre-reunion songs that were played two or more times during post-reunion tours.
As you can see, there's not a single No Prayer For The Dying song. In fact, only one NPFTD song was played on one post-reunion tour. I'll leave the answer as simple trivia for readers to find out  :)

In fact, they do cover most of their career with their setlists. Why some songs are being overplayed while others from the same album/period are being neglected, that's a topic we already discussed numerous times here. The point is, no particular period is being neglected.

The last time they played a Blaze era song was on DOTR. I doubt we will get much Blaze stuff. I think that is the only period they are trying to forget. I don't know why No Prayer isn't played much. If it wern't for the title track, (which is criminally overrated) then FOTD would be the exact same way.

No we won't get much more Blaze stuff unless they decide to revisit the '90s and make a "history" tour out of it.
Right now, the new album tour is about to start, the next non-album tour could begin at summer of 2012, and that's the earliest prediction. They will take a year off after Final Frontier ends.

I'd like to see them do something unexpected next tour. If not, we're gonna get a very predictable tour like SBIT. I don't think they will take a year off. They were already planning SBIT while AMO The Beast was going.

Zare said:
The X Factor : Sign Of The Cross
Virtual XI : The Clansman

Aeons ago. Most people on this forum have not seen these songs. Less than 10 have, I guess.
For the rest you mention quite some songs which are -as you know- overplayed.

I am looking forward to new album songs more than ever, because I don't think we'll get any old song refreshments anymore.

In recent times these 2 were the real surprises in the setlist: Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Moonchild.
(Powerslave and Aces High were also "rare" but then again: logical in that particular tour. Rime was also logical, but not played since 1987!).

Zare said:
As you can see, there's not a single No Prayer For The Dying song. In fact, only one NPFTD song was played on one post-reunion tour. I'll leave the answer as simple trivia for readers to find out  :)

Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter.

Maiden are looking at their nineties albums with a narrow minded view, especially when it comes to No Prayer and FOTD. These albums don't even exist in their eyes. Only the song Fear of the Dark exists, and to a lesser extent BYDTTS.

TFF 01 said:
Steve has probably compiled tons of material from every album that wasn't used.  He has probably turned them into demos, at least.  I'm thinking that Iron Maiden has tons of unreleased stuff, and I hope they release it all post retirement.

Unreleased studio songs, demos, b-sides, and maybe even live rarities.  They can release it individually to give the fans lots of releases post retirement, or they can load it all onto a massive box set!

Hetfield 09?

I was reading and I seen a quote that The X Factor was unusual for Iron Maiden because it it had "several band compositions" that didn't make the album.  Is The X Factorr the only album with unreleased songs?  :huh:

No way, there's at least NOTB with Total Eclipse, that originally didn't make the cut.

Mega said:
No way, there's at least NOTB with Total Eclipse, that originally didn't make the cut.

You're messing things up, dude! Unreleased songs is one thing, b-sides are another - Total Eclipse came out as Run To The Hills b-side, I never heard of The X Factor having unreleased material, though, it has 3 b-sides on Man On The Edge single (Justice Of The Peace, I Live My Way and Judgement Day). The sessions I know that contained/contains unreleased material are the SIT sessions (an instrumental which was totally insane, penned by Steve, and guys wanted to send him to the funny farm when he showed the beast to them) and VXI sessions, which left 4 songs in the can, used later on, and they became 4 BNW songs (The Mercenary, Dream Of Mirrors, The Nomad and possibly, The Thin Line Between Love & Hate).

Jeffmetal said:
(an instrumental which was totally insane which Steve wrote and the guys were shocked when he showed the song to the rest of the guys)

Name/link please?

mtmccox said:
Name/link please?

It's one of the random quotes which appears on the Iron Maiden Commentary page, and also, Forostar quoted the excerpt on some topic related to Somewhere In Time (maybe the English Commentary topic about the album). I can't remember, now, but I think he can clears it up for us, later on. Also, the lyrics to Run Silent, Run Deep were written during SIT sessions; Bruce's rejected material for SIT album is said to have been used on Bruce solo material, but Bruce never confirmed this rumour.

@JeffMetal, IMHO that "insane" instrumental song became part of ATG. Because in same interview Bruce mentions song about "Greek warrior", also saying that all songs are in 5 minute domain.

Back