Amon Amarth

So I'm finally losing my Amarth virginity. I'm halfway through Twilight of the Thunder God and it amazing! How could this band evade me for so long? :edmetal:

Not that I ever was a melodeath connoisseur - I like pretty much everything, but this is really ejoyable! Gimme more! After this one I'll move to the universally beloved Oden. :)

You've got two great albums there. I prefer Oden, but both are quite awesome.

Release Date: March 25, 2016

CD Track Listing:
----------------------
01. First Kill
02. Wanderer
03. On a Sea of Blood
04. One Against All
05. Raise Your Horns
06. The Way of Vikings
07. At Dawn's First Light
08. One Thousand Burning Arrows
09. Vengeance Is My Name
10. A Dream That Cannot Be (featuring Doro Pesch)
11. Back on Northern Shores

Digibook Features:
+ Hardcover Digibook
+ 24-Page, Full-Color Bound Booklet
+ Bonus Track "Vengeance Is My Name"

Once again waking from their post-victory slumber, Amon Amarth are due to return with their most monstrous and spectacular album to date. A tour-de-force of cinematic melodic metal that combines the best of the genre's traditional wing with modern heft and heart, Jomsviking is a concept piece inspired by the elite Viking mercenaries of its title, conceived and written by Johan Hegg. "Deceiver of the Gods was very successful for us and we had a good run with that and did some really great tours," says Hegg. "Even before we changed drummers for this record we had the idea to make a concept album. It was something we'd never done before and it gave us a challenge. I started writing the story, went into it wholeheartedly and once you start going down that path there's really no turning back."

Link for North Americans:

Good music, vocal melodies are okay but nothing special, gets much better as it goes along, guitar harmony section in the bridge is pretty weak, chorus grows on you, sounds like Amon Amarth. Cool, then.

It's meh, like War Of The Gods II, but I don't really mind because it's the first single. Hope they'll have some longer, more epic songs since it's a concept album.

Amon Amarth don't seem to evolve enough to remain interesting. Their songs are great to listen to once in a while but they all sound too similar to one another for me to enjoy on a constant basis.

Yeah, other than With Odin On Our Side and Twilight, they've basically become background metal for me. They're like the AC/DC of melodic death metal. Good for working out, though.

There was a clear progress up until Surtur Rising. Every album was distinctly different from its predecessor up until then. Surtur Rising is good but pretty much identical style to Twilight, Deceiver tried to emulate Twilight but failed. This new song again sounds like it's trying to emulate Twilight.

My first thought is they're actually trying to come up with something slightly more original. I'm fine with the melodic thing, actually, I think it works. Very interested to hear the rest of the album now. I see they've upped the gore factor in these videos, too.

I think this song is pretty good actually. Like Brig said, it does seem at least a little bit more original than most of their recent stuff and I liked the more melodic parts a bunch too. It's definitely better than First Kill.

Seriously whats up with Jomsviking? do AA not like Death Metal anymore, they sound like a Trad-Metal Revival band now.
I wonder if they are preparing for Johan's voice weakening, change their sound instead of replacing him à la Arch Enemy

How really different in style is this from the last two albums? We have double bass. We have grunts. Does death metal not exist with melodies? It does.
Especially in northern Europe.

It sounds more like modern Accept or Grand Mangus trying to play melodic death metal rather than something like With Oden on Our Side. I don't think they'll change that much because it is Amon Amarth after all

Back