1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexander the Great

Discussion in 'Somewhere In Time' started by IronDuke, Mar 5, 2004.

?

How good is Alexander the Great on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

50.0%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

17.5%
  4. 7

2.5%
  5. 6

5.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

No, I was thinking of Arthur's Weigall's biography. In fact, it was first published in France in 1936, and not written in 1938 as I said. The tone of some passages in Harry's lyrics made me think about this book. And, with all due respect to both Harris and Weigall, I think this one is really much easier to read than Tarn's or Hammond's books.

2. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Well, it's impossible to know unless 'Arry tells us, I guess.

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

4. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 The Gordian Knot

I've heard some use the argument that "Alexander the Great" feels too much like a "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" Part II thing. I disagree. Yes, they are both epics, and I can kind of see where those similarities can be spotted, but honestly, if you're going to compare any song to "Mariner" I'd make a strong case of "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", which I honestly think feels much more like "Mariner" done again than "Alexander the Great" - not that it isn't a good song, because believe me, it's a good song, just more similar to "Mariner" than "Alexander". But that's just my opinion.