1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Innocence

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2004.

?

How good is Age of Innocence on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

9.7%
  2. 9

6.5%
  3. 8

16.1%
  4. 7

19.4%
  5. 6

22.6%
  6. 5

6.5%
  7. 4

6.5%
  8. 3

9.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

3.2%
  1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I think this is another song that gets more hate than it deserves, I remember being pretty surprised that there were so many people on this forum who aren't fond of it. I think it's a solid track. The main riff is awesome and I like Bruce's vocal performance. The chorus is great. The lyrics do make them show their age off a bit, but I'd rather see them write an honest lyric than something a 20 year old would write. Not that these are more well written for that reason. It's very reminsicent of their early 90s social commentary lyrics that often fell flat. Age of Innocence shows they never really improved in that department. X Factor was more of a fluke.

Bruce's rap is different. But that's what I like about this album. They're trying different things. Some of it worked, some didn't, but at least they were able to distinguish going forward.

The song wouldn't be out of place on FOTD musically or lyrically. Probably would've come off better on that album really.

2. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

The lyrics are a fucking joke. Everything else is fine. 6/10.

soundwave likes this.
  3. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Totally agree, LC. Apart from the 'everything else if fine' bit

4. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

There's some really nice stuff going on in this. Nice riffs and some good hooks. But I really don't like the reactionary, tabloidy sentiments in the lyrics and it spoils the song for me. I wish they'd used the chorus elsewhere and embellished it, could have been great.

soundwave likes this.
  5. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

I think I've ranted about the lyrics in 3 or 4 different threads, but musically, this tune is actually really good with a heavy (by Maiden standards) verse riff. This probably would have even have been an album highlight for me...

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

7/10

Age of Innocence is the second good Murray track on the album, opening with a stereotypical mournful semi-blues lead before rocking out. The verses are atypical for Murray, with a newfound heaviness and anger. The lyrics condemn Britain’s judicial system and Bruce sounds quite pissed off. He sounds phenomenal on the whole song, actually, from the pummeling verses to the quick-change of the soaring, infectious chorus. Although it sounds quite a bit too much like Journey, the cheery chorus here actual serves to enhance the song, a wry wink at the message being presented. It’s an odd little Maiden song, as Murray’s songs often are, but it’s enjoyable.

bornless1 likes this.
  7. Moonchild

Moonchild Educated Fool

One of my favourite Davey's solos and one of the best intros ever. :)
    Underrated gem from Murray, as always.

10/10

bornless1 likes this.
  8. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

Like mentioned above, Dave's songs can be odd. This is an example of that. It doesn't sound like Maiden, yet the Maiden sound is there somewhere. It's a decent song, but the weak parts are the same as in the other songs. Poor vocal lines some places, and not all of different sections work together.

6/10