African Union?

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
I thought I might try getting a few people interested in African matters.

I'm not sure how many of you heard of this, but there were elections in the west African country of Côte d'Ivorie (you know it, it's been in several World Cups lately) recently. The two main contestants were Laurent Gbagbo, who has been president of the country since 2000 and stood through a brief civil war in 2002/03, and his rival, Alassane Ouattara. Ouattara won, the elections were rigged and Gbagbo clinches on his office.

Rigged elections in Africa? Colour me surprised. I didn't really follow the news, because I certainly have better things to spend my life with than getting worked up about every negative political development in Africa. But then I read a commentary in the papers that caught my interest.

There is an organisation called the "African Union", which is a successor to the "Organization of African States". It was initiated by my favourite nutcase, Mu'ammar al-Qaddafi, who I have to admit is at least somehow concerned with African matters. The Union was founded in 2002, and I never thought of it as anything but a gentleman's club which professed to strive for an African equivalent of the European Union, but was a toothless tiger. It was founded by over 50 states, and the signing of the charter was not even attended by all heads of government.

Now what is happening is that the governments of a few neighbouring countries of Côte d'Ivorie have called for Gbagbo to step down and accept his defeat- including Nigeria, which is as close a geopolitical heavyweight that Africa has to offer. The sensation is that the president of Nigeria will be facing closely observed elections himself next year, so his pledge for democracy does have some sort of meaning, apparently. I'm not sure which countries have joined together, but I know Nigeria and Benin are among them. They have an interest in preventing a civil war, which Ouattara's followers have threatened with. And what is more, they have an interest in resolving matters as soon as possible, because they want to use the brief attention the general public is paying to their part of the world before the people of southern Sudan vote on their independence in mid-January.

So what is so noteable about this is that there are actually a few neighbouring African countries striving for a common goal. Such developments could be the core for a greater union, as it happened in Europe.

Some background information (BBC). Unfortunately, it seems like the Ivorian government has no interest in settling matters.

Interesting article.  One would hope that at some point some democratic stability will take hold in the majority Africa at some point, but outside of a a few countries, the situation seems pretty hopeless for the majority of the continent.

bearfan said:
Interesting article.   One would hope that at some point some democratic stability will take hold in the majority Africa at some point, but outside of a a few countries, the situation seems pretty hopeless for the majority of the continent.

The staggering lack of development/education/common services in Africa is something which STILL blows my mind to this day. It's a continent riddled with superstition, corruption, starvation and suffering. Sadly, the people are too disorganised to fight for rights and if there's any real progress in Africa it'll be long after we're gone such is the state of the place. Heroes in Africa seldom last.

I am following the news everyday and I am not that optimistic.

Out of a sudden the African Union dares to have a big mouth, while having been too silent for too long about other urgent matters (e.g. Mugabe or Darfur).

Why now meddling with internal affairs? France? Support of UN? Western interest?

We'll see what this union is worth if powerful big North Sudan will not tolerate independence of the southern part and launch an attack on Calimero South Sudan.

Probably not a rat's ass.

I'd love to be wrong about this!

Forostar said:
Out of a sudden the African Union dares to have a big mouth, while having been too silent for too long about other urgent matters (e.g. Mugabe or Darfur).

You should give the AU some credit. They were trying to put pressure on Mugabe and they did send troops to Darfur. They did the best they could, but that just isn't very much.

Back