Afraid to Shoot Strangers

How good is Afraid to Shoot Strangers on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'afraid To Shoot Strangers'

A very good song with some of the best harmony parts they ever did. I usually skip the first two minutes to go right into that part.

Completely useless piece of trivia here: the battleship firing in the Afraid to Shoot Strangers video is the USS Wisconsin (BB 64), the second-last battleship ever built by the USA. It's an Iowa-class warship, main armament is nine 16" guns, which you can see firing in the flash in the video. The Wisconsin and her sister ship USS Missouri (BB 63), the vessel Japan surrendered on, were employed against Saddam's forces during the Gulf War.

[a href=\'http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/battleships/wisconsin/bb64-wi.html\' target=\'_blank\']Official History of the USS Wisconsin[/a]

This thread is great - some very interesting points.

Anyway, here is my view:

I don't know if it is because I am normally anti-war, and so want the song to be the same, or that other Maiden songs have that feel, but I do not think this song is 'pro' war, as such.

The opening lines, that I interpret as coming from a soldier, along witrh the rest of the song, used to make me think it was

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Lying awake at night I wipe the sweat from my brow
But it’s not the fear ’cos I’d rather go now[/quote]

This made me think that, if the soldier wasn't scared and wanted to go soon, that he must want the war. However I do not believe that he is not scared. To me these lines show that the soldier is terrified, but knows that the war is happening and will not stop, and so he wasnts to get going now, as longer he waits the more he contemplates why he is here and what may happen.

To me it is a song about a soldier considering what is happening, and how he has signed up and must do his duty - even if he is not sure if it is the 'correct' thing to do.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When it comes to time
Are we partners in crime?[/quote]

To me this has a two fold interpretation.

One the one hand 'we', the soldiuers in the army, may be partners in crime. i.e. the army is united in it's purpose, but that purpose may be a crime itself - the wrong thing to do.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When it comes to time
We’ll be ready to die[/quote]

However, regardless of why the army is there, the soldier realises it is his duty, and that he must be prepared to fight and die for any cause the army leaders decide to fight for.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]God let us go now and finish what’s to be done
Thy kingdom come thy shall be done... on earth[/quote]

I always think these lines have a sense of desperation to them. The war is on and there are only two ways out - to win or to lose. The soldier cannot debate on whether they should be there, he has to finish the job, or else be killed. The reference to God and his will being done seems to make references to the prayers on a battlefield.

Many soldiers, if religious, will believe that if it is God's will they will win, and if not they will lose. Therefore this soldier is praying, saying he is doing God's will because he wants to be right, and he wants to live. He doesn't want to consider the fact he may be going against his god's wishes, and thus may be killed and lose the war.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Trying to justify to ourselves the reasons to go
Should we live and let live forget or forgive[/quote]

This seems to be the constant thought in the back of peoples heads when it comes to war - is it right? For all his belief in duty, and fighting to survive, he is still wondering if it is worth it, or could they not just leave?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]But how can we let them go on this way?
The reign of terror corruption must end
And we know deep down there’s no other way
No trust, no reasoning, no more to say[/quote]

These lines, to me, seem to be the most political, about the Gulf in particular. Most people acknowledge the war was to stop the Iraqi's taking oil which the U.S. wanted - however there was always the undercurrent of the way Saddam's regime worked.

I think, it is here, that the soldier wonders if there may be a further purpose to the war. Should they just take the oil back and leave, or should they go on, and get rid of the tyrrant? Whilst they are out here, is there not a greater victory that could be achieved? It seems a waste to send so many people out, possiby to their deaths, for oil, when they could achieve much more.

Anyway, thy are just my thoughts on the song. I have very much enjoyed reading everybody elses, and look forward to seeing more [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The same live version is contained on the Best Of The Beast 2CD edition.

I give this song 4.5 stars but the song structure is quite similar to the title track of No Prayer For The Dying with the clean guitar intro (lovely one though [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) and then it ups the tempo and Jancik does a crazy solo and the chorus gets repeated and then it ends. But maybe I'm nitpicking, but the intros of both songs do seem similar.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Oct 21 2005, 05:49 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Oct 21 2005, 05:49 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For those who used to find it a bit too short, just know that the [a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album09_fotd/commentary09_fotd&lang=eng&link=albums#track3\' target=\'_blank\']commentary of 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers'[/a] has been reworked. There's even a new page about [a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/index.php?url=album09_fotd/combat&link=albums&lang=eng\' target=\'_blank\']the psychology of combat[/a] for those who are interested.
[snapback]120839[/snapback]​
[/quote]Interesting read, as well as the comments posted in this thread long before me.

The very first rant here disagrees with the argument that a soldier's ordeal is worth it for the greater cause. In history there have always been and will be "greater causes", and war was and will remain absurd. But it was only in the last century that the concept of war has become really perverse. Military experts have learned that war can be even more effective if soldiers are trained like monkeys to suppress their natural unwillingness to kill. As Grossman says, soldiers are thus able to endure several weeks of continuous combat, whereas individual battles in the past lasted a few days at most. But the effects brought upon modern soldiers are even more destructive and long-lasting.

As for the song this thread is about, I gave it four stars. Much has been said about Steve's wrong in the lyrics, and although the music is great, I rated the song as a whole.
And the music is great indeed. Fine intro. The signature riff and the way it's developed is just fabulous. Both solos are sheer joy, as well as the bit in between (except maybe Bruce's singing when repeating the chorus line, here I appreciate Blaze's live performance).

Personally, I never thought of the song as pro or anti-war, rather as a song about a soldier's 'acceptance' of the war. I'd like to start with this line:

'But it's not the fear 'cause I'd rather go now'

To me, this tells me that the soldier has a natural fear of war-few humans will actually want to go and risk their lives like that. However, the soldier also says that he accepts the war and would rather get it over with-he recognises not that the war is necessary, but that he must fight-he joined the armed forces, and now he must fight, even if he believes the war to be wrong.

'When it comes to the time, are we partners in crime?
When it comes to the time, we'll be ready to die'

To me, these lines are the soldier wondering what the enemy is thinking. Do they have the same fears as him? Will they be 'afraid to shoot strangers', or will they fight fearlessly and die for their country? Perhaps he is thinking whether he will be called on to obey orders that will compromise his morality-potentially war crimes. The Iraqi armed forces, on the President's orders, carried out many mass murders of Kurds and political opponents. The soldier may be wondering if his army, and more specifically, him, will be ordered to take 'an eye for an eye' and exact revenge.

'God let us go now and finish what's to be done
Thy Kingdom come, thy shall be done... on Earth'

I can't speak from experience, but I guess many soldiers fear they will die in war (our narrator does, certainly). These two lines, especially the second one, are perhaps the soldier putting his fate in God's hands. Maybe he quotes the Lord's Prayer trying to justify the war to himself as God's will. If this is true, then he clearly doubts the legality of the war and the decisions of the politicians that sent him to the front lines. Another take on the inclusion of this quote is the fact that the soldier fears his imminent death-he wants to reconcile himself in case he dies (this can be seen in Hallowed Be Thy Name, too). Furthermore, I believe the line 'finish what's to be done' is once again the soldier accepting the war, not as necessary, but as something he has been ordered to do and must go through with, no matter his beliefs.

'Trying to justify to ourselves the reasons to go
Should we live and let live, forget or forgive?'

This section's a bit harder. Perhaps the soldier is echoing comrades' doubts about the war-he is picking up on their fears. The second line is fairly easy-he obviously does not want to kill, and wants to forget all about the war; perhaps he hoped the politicians would take no action against Iraq, so he would not have to fight?

'But how can we let them go on this way?
The reign of terror corruption must end
And we know deep down there's no other way
No trust, no reasoning, no more to say'

Okay, this last section completely screws my 'neutrality/soldier's individual fears' argument. Lol. Actually, analysing these last lines, I believe that the soldier is simply repeating things he has heard from his fellow soldiers-why the use of the rhetorical question? If he was pro-war, he would be more likely to say 'We CAN'T let them go on this way'-I believe he is trying to justify the war to himself, and is gradually winning himself over, even though he is still honestly undecided.

The final refrain 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers' to some people is slightly bigoted and racial-why would he refer to them as 'strangers'. Well, perhaps if he doesn't label them as human beings and men similar to himself, he can pull the trigger more easily and try to clear his conscience. They are nameless creatures to him, not real people who might not want to die as well. It also universifies (a real word? lol) the song, as the theme of war and fear of war can be applied to any conflict, not just the First Gulf War.

Phew. Oh yeah, I forgot to rate the song [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
First two minutes are a nice slow intro, focuses you on the lyrics. Acoustic bits are nice. Main riff after the final verse-amazing. Brings a tear to my eye, it's so beautiful. Solos are very good, too, as is the final variation on the riff. Overall, 4 stars out of 5

P.S.: Sweet, longest post ever! Gotta do more in-depth analyses [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Re: 'afraid To Shoot Strangers'

I know that the subject has been discussed ages ago, but I hope you guys don't mind this little contribution.

Steve's (and also Bruce's) anti-war lyrics emphasize personal thoughts and fears of soldiers. Through their eyes and brains we see how they experience (a mission in a) war. I am very sure that Steve didn't mean to provoke a discussion about this war, such as "Was it justified", "Was it good to be involved in it?" There's no trace of him chosing a side, or to stir up this discussion.

It all seems to come down on this.:

Does the reader of the lyrics think himself that there was justification for this conflict? How can the reader seperate his own judgement on this (lack of) justification and instead focus on the far more important message of the lyrics: The personal thoughts and fears of soldiers, who have to do the shitty work.

Perun (he is way better with words than I am) has reflected my thoughts on the song the best, but I still wanted to say that it all depends on how you look at lyrics.: What do you find an important subject (and how extreme can you be in your opinion) and do you think that this subject is the main topic of the writer or not?

Rate:  5

Does anyone know why the quote from the Lord's Prayer was altered?  It ought to read "thy will be done", not "thy shall be done" which doesn't really make sense.  When I first heard this it was the live version and I simply thought Blaze had got the words wrong.  Odd.

Calling the enenmy soldiers "strangers" is not in any way racist, bigoted or any of that.  The soldier doesn't know the people he is fighting - they are strangers.  I don't know how that could possibly be considered controversial.

But how can we let them go on this way?
The reign of terror corruption must end,
And we know deep down there's no other way,
No trust, No reasoning, No more to say...

Perun said:
He tells himself what has been told to him, that he is fighting for the right, good thing. In truth, he puts on a mask, he hides behind hollow phrases, those phrases his commanders and leaders repeat endlessly. He tries to comfort himself, he tries to believe these phrases so he can sleep well.
But he cannot convince himself. He lies to himself. The doubts follow him wherever he goes: He is afraid to shoot strangers- he does not want to shoot them. Why should he? He doesn't even know them, so why kill them? He tells himself that "deep down there's no other way", but in fact, deep down he's afraid. And he cannot convince himself to believe the lies.

The song is not only about war, but also about militarism and jingoism, and what they do to people. How false causes and propaganda can tear a man apart. How the people get sucked into a machinery that despises mankind but only reveals its true nature when you're trapped in it with no way out.

Raven said:
I believe that the soldier is simply repeating things he has heard from his fellow soldiers-why the use of the rhetorical question?  If he was pro-war, he would be more likely to say 'We CAN'T let them go on this way'-I believe he is trying to justify the war to himself, and is gradually winning himself over, even though he is still honestly undecided.

I just wanted to say I agree 100% with Perun n' Revan . .
The last lines are quite simply the final resort for this soldier to try and convince himself that he believes what he has been told . . but even so he is "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" . .

OK, this is an old topic. I just want to provide my thoughts on this song (wich is making many people sceptic about Steve and his pro/anti war thoughts.) Here's my interpetation:

''Lying awake at night, I wipe the sweat from my brow
But it's not the fear, 'cause I'd rather go now
Trying to visualise the horrors that will lay ahead
The desert sound mound, a burial ground

This is the mind of a soldier who's scared to death. It COULD be any war, but the band (Steve I think) have said it's about the Gulf War in the 90's and the lyrics also mentioned ''sand''. Well, like I said, it's about a scared soldier who's about to go to battle.

When it comes to the time, are we partners in criem?
When it comes to the times, we'll be ready to die

I think this is about the character (the soldier) thinking about his comrades/fellow soldiers. ''Are they willing to die with me and our country?'' ''Will they fight with me?''

God, let us go now and finish what's to be done
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Shall be done - ON EARTH

This is about the waiting time BEFORE the battle.

Trying to justify to ourselves the reasons to go
Should be live and let live? Forget or forgive?

But how can we let them go on this way?
The reign or terror corruption must end
And we know deep down, there's no other way
No trust, no reasoning, no more to say

This is where the debate starts. I don't think this is pro-war lyrics from Steve (also considering previous anti-war lyrics from songs such ar Tailgunner, The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight etc). I think we're still inside the soldier's head, he's trying to justify his actions to himself, and he starts thinking about what all his officers (?) told him. That they were there to stop terror. The TRUTH was always oil, but the soldier never wanted to think about that. He wanted to think that he was serving his country.

My apologies in advance if this is a favorite of yours, but I don't get the love for this song.  (Perhaps that's not the case on this particular site).  I've a friend who easily puts this in his top 5 and I'm simply perplexed.  I'm not even sure it's in the top 2/3 on the album.

Who plays the awesome guitar solo in this song?  The really melodic guitar section towards the middle and end of the song...where Bruce says "afraid to shoot strangers..."?

Daily Song: Afraid to Shoot Strangers

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Afraid to Shoot Strangers

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song is quite good, possibly the best on the album, but yet I still feel it lacks something. I do prefer Blaze's sound on the live version, but it's not the vocals.

Perhaps it is that I think it is a bit presumptuous for a rock musician to put himself into the shoes of a combat soldier, which is one of the reasons I dislike Mother of Mercy as well. It's one thing to do it from a historical point of view, but this is about the Gulf War (No, you can't call it Fear of the Gulf, Steve. The Gulf War's over, you don't want to go around depressing everyone. Why don't you call it Fear of the Golf? Golf's happening all the time!), which was quite topical.

I do like it, I recognize that it is that good, but I don't love it. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Afraid to Shoot Strangers

9. Spectacular. Mind you how Bruce would nail it with his incredible controled and dynamic voice, since 1996.

My second fave from the album to the title track. A very good song. The tune that kicks off at about 2:40 is amazing. The slow part is always fun to listen to aswell.

Don't forget to list your numerical scores!

Back