A Useless Historical Fact

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
(Yes, I'm bored)

In Nova Scotia there are tons of places with odd names. Many derrive from the place names used by the aboriginal people, the Mi'Kmaq such as Tatamagouche ("Meeting of the Waters" for the two rivers that flow into the sea there), Kejimakujik ("Swollen Gentials for the difficulty paddling across the lake of that name). Some were clearly named for the European or American hometowns of the White settlers to the region - Londonderry (for both the N. Irish and New Hampshire cities of that name), New Glasgow, New Annan, etc.

Still others were named after great and not-so-great people - Collingwood Corner (Nelson's second in command), Halifax (Named for the 18th Century British nobleman), Wolfville (for the deWolfe family which founded the town), Sydney, Port Hood, Cabot Trail, etc.

Finally, there are those which completely baffle historical geographers and historians. One such place has recently had its mystery solved. The small farming community of Denmark lies on the main route, NS311, from Truro to the Northumberland Strait. It has carried that moniker as long as the province has been inhabited by English speaking peoples.

Logically, one would assume it was named for the kingdom of Denmark. This was known not to have been the case, though. There was absolutely no connection to Denmark, and no settlers from anywhere near the region in Europe moved there. (Though, oddly enough, about 40-60% the current population are recent (within 15 yrs) immigrants from Bavaria)

Recently, the local historical society, myself included, undertook a project to solve the mystery of Denmark's name. What we uncovered was just plain weird.
That region (usually called North Colchester) was granted to two organizations by the Governor in 1790. The "established" church (Anglican) got half, and the fledgling King's College (in the town of Windsor, the first institute of higher education in what was to become Canada) got the other, to be administrated by the Dean. The deal was that the two grantees would arrange to have settlers come to the lands, take up farming, and pay rent to them as landholders. This would bring in extra money for the school and the church.
The border between the two grants was called the "mark", an ancient usage still surrviving in legalese today. From the church's perspective, the border was the "Dean of Kings's Mark."  It turns out that both failed miserably at attracting settlers, and the lands were re-taken by the Governor and given directly to settlers from Scotland (two of whom are my direct ancestors). But the "Dean's Mark" was firmly established as a geographical reference, and the name stuck.
As the Scottish are prone to do, especially the illiterate ones, the name was mispronounced badly. Eventually it was assumed that the place actually was "Denmark," and standardized as such. Old references include spellings such as Dainsmarch, Days March, Dun Mar, etc.

Anyone have a similar obscure etymology for a place name? You European folks much have tons of them! For instance, I know "Dublin" comes from the ancient Gaelic for "Black Pool," and "Paris" is named for the Parisii tribe.

In Germany, place names originate either from Germanic, Slavic or Latin names. It needs to be said that you can even tell if a Germanic town was founded by Saxons, Franks, Alamanns etc. Typically, you can tell that by the ending of the place name. I know I have a list of Germanic place names (telling me for example what tribe founded a place ending with -hausen), but I can't find it right now.
Slavic places would end with -itz (-ice), -au (-ow), etc.
The third is the Latin names, and those etymologies are actually my favourites. I won't give them to you straight away, though. Instead, I'll examine some famous German cities and tell you where the names are from and what they mean. One important thing, though. This really pisses me off when I see anglophone people writing about German place names: There is a difference between "-burg" and "-berg", you can't just give these names at random. Just so you know, "Burg" means castle and "Berg" means mountain (funnily enough, the city I live close to actually has a "Burgberg").

Berlin --- Nobody really knows where this name comes from. It seems certain that it is of Slavic origin, but I think this is as far as people have gotten.

Hamburg --- Founded as Hammaburg by Charlemagne. The name already indicates that it was founded as a border fortress to protect against the Danes. I'm not sure what the "Hamma" means, though.

Munich --- German "München". I'm really not sure what this means and I'm not in the mood to look it up; however, it may be interesting to note that the Latin version of the name is "Monaco".

Cologne --- German "Köln". Finally, here's one that's easy. "Köln" is a dialect-bastardisation of "Colonia", which was probably the name the city was referred to most commonly in Roman times. No wonder- the complete original name is Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (historians simply refer to it as "CCAA").

I'll go on tomorrow, I just finished downloading a leak.

München and Monaco both come from greek monachos which meant first "loner" and later "monk",  through latin monachus.

I knew about Koln, Perun. The same goes with the city of LinCOLN in England, I believe. The others are quite interesting.
I always get burg and berg mixed up, even though I know the differnet meanings. I can never remember which one to use for which city.

That reminds me of the wonderful time I had in German 102 when our professor asked us "Morchten Sie Wanderen in die Berge?" "Berge" sounding a lot like... well um... "Verga" in Spanish. the REAL meaning of the word is the tallest mast in a ship, but it is most commonly used as a very vulgar way to say "Penis".... So you can imagine my other Mexican friend and I laughing our asses off over a silly question like that! :D

Remembering what my Spanish flatmate used to tell me, I'm starting to think that every word means 'penis' in Spanish...

Syl: Thanks for clearing that. I remember reading that a long time ago now. A very long time ago ;)

Duke: Yes, Lincoln is the same etymology. There's a couple of other English names that come from that, but I can't think of any right now.

So, let's get back to some German city names.

Frankfurt --- Names with the word 'Furt' or 'Furth' in it are quite common in Germany. Other examples would be Fürth, Schweinfurt or Furth im Wald. "Furt" simply means "ford". "Frank" would point to the Franks, so if you sepparated the two words, you would probably get "Fränkische Furt", "Frankish ford". "Schweinfurt" would be "Pig's ford", "Furth im Wald" would be "Ford in the forest".

Stuttgart --- Goes back to the word "Stute", which means "mare". I'm not sure what the 'gart' means, but my guess is that it has the same etymology as "guard" in English. Here's a prime example how you can tell a city's name by its coat of arms, as it has a black mare on golden background. It is worth pointing out that in Berlin, the coat of arms has a bear on it (German: Bär, pronounced like Berlin), but I think I remember reading somewhere that here, it was the other way around (i.e. the bear symbol derived from the city name).

Nuremberg --- German Nürnberg. Comes from Middle German nuorenberc, which means "Rocky mountain" (which is quite true). Not to be confused with Nürburg (it is easy to confuse for music fans, because the Rock Am Ring Festival is at the Nürburgring while Rock Im Park is at Nürnberg, but those two places are 400km apart from each other).

Hannover --- It is not certain what this name means. It is assumed that it comes from old Saxon for "reed shore". You can tell by the syllable "-over" (the "v" is pronounced like "f" here), which is obviously an old form of the word "Ufer" ("Shore").

Regensburg --- This would literally translate as "castle of rain", but that is completely wrong. "Burg" indicates that this was originally a fortress, which is correct, but the "Regen" does not come from German for "rain". Instead, it is from Latin Castra Regina; Regensburg was a Roman border fortress.

Augsburg --- Similar to Regensburg; the "Augs" comes from Augusta. I don't remember what the full Roman name was, sorry.

Leipzig --- I don't know what that means, but it is obviously of Slavic origin. Compare, for example, Danzig, the German form of Gdánsk (as if you didn't know...).

Magdeburg --- Again, a "Burg", which again indicates the origin; it was originally a Frankish border fortress to protect from the Slavs. A "Magd" is a maid, so this could the castle of maids. However, it is more likely to me that "Magd" is an older word for "Markt"- "market", which would make a lot of sense as these border fortifications were also quite frequently market places for trade with the neighbours.

Bremen --- I believe this comes from "Fabiranum", the name the Romans gave to this Germanic settlement.

Bonn --- From Bonna, the Celtic patron godess of the Rhine.

Trier --- From Augusta Treveorum, "Augusta of the Treverii". The Treverii were a Germanic tribe who were based here by the Romans.

Kiel --- "Kiel" is German for "keel".

Dresden --- Again a Slavic name. This time it's from Sorbic "Drježdźany", meaning as much as "swamp", I think.

Mainz --- From Latin Mogontiacum.

Düsseldorf --- Note the "-dorf", which is German for "village". I don't know what the "Düssel" means, sorry.

Dortmund --- From old Saxon Throtmanni, meaning "throat mountain" (note: "throt"-"throat", "manni"-"mountain". These words are closer to modern English than modern German; the modern German translation would be Schlundberg).

I'll come up with more later, however, it is probably necessary to explain a few things about the evolution of the German language.
Originally, there was no German language. There were lots of different languages that were closely related to each other as Germanic languages. Some of these still exist, e.g. Platt, Friesian, Flamish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, etc. In ancient 'Germania', these were Saxon, Alamannic, Baiuwarian and so on. Traces of these languages still exist. Anglian and Saxon went to form the bulk of modern English. Alamannic is now a dialect that is very different from modern high German; it is spoken in Baden-Württemberg and German Swiss. Baiuwarian turned into the modern-day Bavarian dialect. Northern German dialects were greatly influenced by Platt, and this dialect is so distinct from 'proper' German that it is considered an own language (which is relatively easy for Germans to understand).
I'm not a linguist, so don't take this for the last word, but I think the culmination of all these distinct languages formed "Old German", which was around until ~600 AD. The oldest German writings are still in Old German, but soon afterwards, it evolved into Middle German.
The starting point of Modern German is Luther's translation of the Bible in the early 1500s. From that point, everybody in Germany had a basic language (s)he could speak and understand. Spelling, grammar and idiomatic have evolved since then, but basically, contemporary German is still the one used by Luther.

Interesting post.  Here, in Ireland, the majority of place names come from the Gaelic language...especially true for towns and cities founded before the Plantation in the 16th and 17th Centuries.  For example, 'Belfast' comes from the Gaelic 'Beal Feirste' which means 'Mouth of the Farset'.  Now, those familiar with Belfast may be thinking to themselves 'Farset?! But the river that flows through the centre of Belfast is the Lagan!'.  Well, that's not entirely true.  In fact, the original settlement of Belfast (chosen for its prime location at the end of Belfast Lough, as well as its good defensive properties-the city is built on a relatively flat plain surrounded on nearly all sides by hills) was built on the River Farset-anyone who walks down Bridge Street is actually retracing steps hundreds of years old-originally, Bridge Street marked the Bridge that crossed the Farset.  However, the Lagan has been the main river of Belfast for many years-the Farset has since been built over and can actually be found under the City's High Street.

Also, you mentionned Dublin, IronDuke.  Dublin, most etymologists believe, originates from 'Dubh Linn', the Irish for 'black pool'.  But, the Irish name for Dublin is actually 'Baile Atha Cliath', which means 'The Town of the Ford of the Reed Hurdles'.  This is because the area around Dublin Bay was originally marshy fenland.  The first settlement built there was 'Dubh Linn', due to the marsh nearby.  The later settlement of Baile Atha Cliath was founded in 988 by the High Irish Kings.  This settlement ajoined to the town of Dubh Linn,  and when the Normans came, they named the city Dublin, a corrupted version of the name for the older settlement.

Perun, let me ask you this, as my knowledge of German geography isn't very good. Do you find that most of the places in Germany with names of Slavic origin are in the eastern part of the country, while the more Latinized ones are in the south and west? It would seem logical, but logic rarely is a factor in such things!

I'll post a few more Canadian ones:
The Province of New Brunswick is named for the area of Germany from which King George III's ancestors came (I think they still ruled it at the time it was divided from NS)

The provinces of New-found-land and Prince Edward Island are self-explanatory. However, the official name of the former is "Newfoundland and Labrador", in reference to the large chunk of land awarded the former Dominion of Newfoundland in an arbitration before it joined Canada. Labrador is named for an explorer from Portugal who first sighted it in the 15th Century.

Nova Scotia (Latin for New Scotland, of course) was given the name by Sir William Alexander in 1621 when he recieved the colony from the King. (The fact that it was owned, settled, and governed by the French at the time didn't matter. Most old maps and documents refer to it s "Nova Scotia or Acadie")

Quebec's name come from the Mi'Kmaq language, the aboriginal peoples of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. It means "Place where the sea narrows" in reference to the St. Lawrence.

Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan's names are all from languages used by aboriginals in those provinces.

Alberta is named for a doughter of Queen Victoria.

British Columbia takes its name for being the British-controlled section of Columbia (duh!). Columbia is a now-archaic name for the continent of North America. The only surrviving useages are this and the Washington District of Columbia, the USA's capital city.

The North-West Territories (pluralized) originally was all of modern Canada except the eastern provinces, and was named for being North and West of the settled areas. The Yukon Territory is named for the river, but what the word actually means is unknown to me. Nunavut, the newest territory, is an Inuktitut word meaning simply "Our Land".

Most places in Canada seem to have taken their names from Aboriginal place names or geographic descriptions, except for the very oldest European settlements.

IronDuke said:
Perun, let me ask you this, as my knowledge of German geography isn't very good. Do you find that most of the places in Germany with names of Slavic origin are in the eastern part of the country, while the more Latinized ones are in the south and west? It would seem logical, but logic rarely is a factor in such things!

Mostly. Slavic names can be found in all of eastern Germany (and that isn't limited to former East Germany, but can be extended to Bavaria as well). Latin names are mostly in those areas that were formerly Roman, but some of them extend further, up to the Elba. I already mentioned Bremen as an example of that. This is mostly because they were already known to the Romans and described by name; the name got carried to Germany during the middle ages then.
So, basically, logic is a factor here.

Perun said:
Leipzig --- I don't know what that means, but it is obviously of Slavic origin. Compare, for example, Danzig, the German form of Gdánsk (as if you didn't know...).

I've read once that Leipzig has the same root as lipa which means "lime tree" in Russian.

Just a little bit about my town - Brentwood.

It was originally, by all accounts, a small fire in Epping Forest that created a clearing which became known as Burntwood. Not surprisingly the name has been corrupted with time to produce its current name.

A few interesting facts about this town is that it was a short resting place for Pilgrims en-route to Canterbury and really hasn't changed much since - people still just pass through. There is a small village on the outskirts of the town named Pilgrims Hatch (meaning Pilgrims Gate) owing much to the travelling few. It has now become known as Boredtown (an anagram of Brentwood) because pretty much nothing happens in this town. As Daniel Defoe was quoted:

..full of good inns, and chiefly maintained by the excessive multitude of carriers and passengers, which are constantly passing this way to London, with droves of cattle, provisions and manufactures.

But more simple etymologies of English towns etc. Towns ending with Ford (Chelmsford, Oxford, Bedford, etc) are predominantly named after a ford in a river/stream/etc. The German equivalent (according to Wiki) is Furt (Frankfurt) and the Dutch is Voord. And apparently (though I can't back this up) some towns/villages in England that have the word "in" contained within it are named after "people of". An example is Ingrave, Havering or Ingatestone. The trouble is I have heard so many conflicting accounts of why these  towns are named as such (i.e. Havering was named after a King offering someone else a ring!).

About Hamburg, I think ham or hamma may be related to home in English, ham in Old-English, heim  ( = home) and hameau in French ( means small village). They all come from the Proto-Germanic *khaim.

My guess is that *khaim was introduced if French through the Frankish haim and then it was brought back later in Germany under the form hamma in Hamburg by Charlemagne. On the other hand *khaim evolved under the form heim in everyday language

Many french town's names are formed with and noun and an adjective. Sometimes the adjective comes before the noun and sometimes the adjective comes after the noun.

So you can find some coupled town's names like
Aigues-Mortes / Mortaigue ( = dead water)
Chateauneuf / Neufchâtel ( = new castle)
Montrouge / Rougemont (= red mount)
Boisvert / Vertbosc (=green wood)

What's interesting is the way those names are distributed on the territory . The towns which names have the adjective in first position are more likely to be found in the north of France as it shows a germanic influence whereas in the south, where the germanic influence was weaker, towns's names are rather formed with the adjective in second position.

More precisely, in the part of France which was first invided by the Franks in 440, you will find 100% of towns formed with the adjective in first position. The frankish kingdom was then extended to the Loire valley. Today in this part, 82% of the towns have the adjective in first position. In the south east where the germanic influence is the weakest this rate falls to 16%.

Back