A quick question.

Babo 91

Nomad
I understand that Number of the best was written in the key of D minor which conists of D  E  F  G  A  Bb  C  D.

I noticed that there are B notes in the intro riff and verse riff. Is the song in a different key or is there something I don't understand, i have ony been studying music theory for a month or two.

I also think a thread should be created specifically for music questions so we don't hav to start threads.

Only the guitar solo section is in D minor. The rest of the song is D mixolydian, which is the 5th mode of G major.

The mixolydian mode is identical to the major scale, except that the 7th is lowered a half step.

If your playing in a certain key, can you only use the notes in that key or is there an exception.

There is a b note in an E5 chord, does that mean that you can't play that chord when playing in the key of D minor?

There is also a part in dave murrays solo on the trooper where 3 consecutive notes are played (7 6 5)

|----------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------5h7--|
|--7--6--5-----6--5----------------------------------|
|-----------7--------7-------------------------------|
|-----------------------6--5-------------------------|
|-----------------------------8--5~~-----------------|

Surely one of these notes would be out of key. It could be a bad tab i suppose but i have noticed this kind of thing in a few songs. Can anyone try and explai if they have a spare minute.

It's a blue note thing. You can play some note which aren't in the key, but not every note sounds right.

I can't explain it properly, but I do know that you need to have a feel for it, and none of these notes can stand alone by itself, meaning you shoul play them as a part of some fast lick so they won't sound out of tune.

Mega said:
It's a blue note thing. You can play some note which aren't in the key, but not every note sounds right.

I can't explain it properly, but I do know that you need to have a feel for it, and none of these notes can stand alone by itself, meaning you shoul play them as a part of some fast lick so they won't sound out of tune.

Yeah when i play the above lick the note fits in pefect, doesnt sound out of key at all .

Back