I'm left handed but I play right handed, never felt the need to switch. Instruments require so much coordination from both hands that I don't know if it really matters if you play a righty or lefty one. As far as I know, there aren't any other instruments that have left handed models anyway.

I'm left handed but I play right handed, never felt the need to switch. Instruments require so much coordination from both hands that I don't know if it really matters if you play a righty or lefty one. As far as I know, there aren't any other instruments that have left handed models anyway.

Same here. Lefty normally but I play right handed. I play basketball right handed as well, I'd go as far as to say I'm almost %50-50 for different tasks.

I once met a guitar tutor who was left handed but played a right handed guitar upside down. It was strange.

Didn't Hendrix have the strings on the left-handed way, though? This guy didn't.

Hendrix did this.
And is probably why it became popular, now most left handed guitars are built this way.

But there really is no point to it. You don't play a guitar left or right handed, you use both hands. The picking motion is unnatural, so regardless of what your dominant hand is, it'll require special training.

Mosh, are you basically saying that the design of a stringed instrument happens to conform to right-handedness and any modification to accommodate left-handedness is extraneous?
Yes, because it's not accommodating left handedness. There are lots of things that are difficult for lefties to use, I know because I am left handed, guitars aren't one of them. I think if it wasn't for Hendrix modifying his guitar, the idea that guitars conform to right-handedness wouldn't really exist. It's inconsequential.

I didn't mean to derail the conversation though, but you might be hard pressed to find people who have switched. You would have to learn the whole thing over again, I'd suggest just sticking to right if that's what you've trained on.

I also had a phase where I thought that my picking would be better if I had played a left handed guitar. Turned out the problem was that I wasn't practicing enough. :p

Back