2015 in music

I wanted to do this and then I realised I have troubles filling a top 5, lol. Not much impressive stuff this year (for me). Maybe I'll think about a top 3 :p Oh, and I definitely have to wait for The Force Awakens soundtrack with that list!

Albums:
  1. David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
  2. Ghost - Meliora
  3. Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
  4. Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase
  5. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Songs:
  1. Iron Maiden - Empire of the Clouds/If Eternity Should Fail
  2. David Gilmour - In Any Tongue
  3. Steven Wilson - Routine
  4. Ghost - Deus In Abstenia
  5. David Gilmour - Faces of Stone
Dissapointments:
  1. Bruce's cancer. That shit hit me like a tonne of bricks.
  2. Neil Peart's retirement. I guess I'll never get to see Rush live. :(
  3. Still no new solo album from Roger Waters.
  4. Still no new album from Metallica
  5. The Red and The Black being very underwhelming. I usually love 'Arry's epics, this one did very little for me.
Overall, a pretty good year for music, but I struggled to fill my top top 5 albums, as you can tell by including a live album.

:)

Last edited:
ALBUMS:
1. Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls
2. Symphony X - Underworld
3. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful
4. Clutch - Psychic Warfare
5. Kamelot - Haven

SONGS:
1. Iron Maiden - Empire of the Clouds
2. Brandi Carlile - The Eye
3. Clutch - Son of Virginia
4. William Elliott Whitmore - Ain't Gone Yet
5. Visigoth - Mammoth Rider

DISSAPOINTMENTS:
1. Armored Saint's new album having abysmal lyrics.
2. No more Rush (though if there had to be time, I'm fine with now).
3. New albums by folk/pop/rock artists I previously enjoyed being rather mediocre-at-best: Mumford and Sons, Chris Cornell, Adele.
4. Waiting another year for Maiden concerts
I mean Bruce having to battle cancer...:ninja:
5. No record companies have come knocking at my door!

Damn, now I have to listen to all the albums I put off to the end of the year for commenting on this thread...

I haven't really bought anything that was released in 2015 other than Maiden & Buckethead; so this listing lark isn't going to really work for me or be very interesting for anyone else...

I think I've got five new albums, but I'll have to think hard about the songs.

And I'd like to add my 'hopes' for next year. I've got a fair few of those.

Top 5 albums:
1. Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
2. Swallow The Sun - Songs From The North
3. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful
4. Amorphis - Under The Red Cloud
5. Leprous - The Congregation

Top 5 songs:
I couldn't reduce it down to just 5 songs... so I made a mixtape out of my Top 15 songs :D
EDIT: YouTube banned it, work in progress <_<

Top 5 disappointments:
1. Bruce's cancer = no Maiden shows in 2015
2. Slayer's new album sucked
3. Iced Earth didn't release anything new :(
4. Helloween continued its sucky album streak...
5. ...and so did Symphony X.

Top 5 albums.

2. Enforcer - From Beyond
3. Murg - Varg & Björn
4. Melechesh - Enki
5. Visigoth - The Revenant King

Top 5 songs.

2. Enforcer - Undying Evil
3. Visigoth - Dungeon Master
4. Ahab - Like Red Foam (The Great Storm)
5. Civil War - Bay of Pigs

Top 5 disappointments.

1. Bruce getting cancer.
2. In October/November, a string of gigs I wanted to go to hit my city, and thanks to my professional life, I couldn't make a single one.
3. Brutal Assault Festival was a letdown, all in all. I think I saw a total of four gigs in their entirety and missed out a great bunch of bands I wanted to see.
4. Me not being able to get the Cheesevivör going. Repeatedly.
5. Civil War - Gods and Generals. I loved Bay of Pigs (see above), but the rest of the album was pure shite.

Don't tell me what to do.

Maybe I should mention I was also let down by the album Sólverv by Vreid. Not saying it's bad, but compared to Pitch Black Brigade, I Krig and especially Milorg, it's... really eh.

I've only bought and heard just a handful new albums this year.

The book of souls is probably my favorite, its a very good album, but not an all time favorite, none of those I've heard are that. Stratovarius - Eternal is good, the opening track are one of their best songs ever, but the album is a little bit weaker than Nemesis IMO.

The new Nightwish and Children of bodom sounds good, but both pretty average compared to the rest of their discography. Luca Turilli's rhapsody is okay, but a let-down compared to the debut. I'm a huge, huge Arjen Lucassen fan and also a big fan of Anneke van Giersbergen, but The Gentle Storm was very dissapointing.

I really wanna check out the new Blind guardian, Battle beast and Cain's offering albums, but not right now.

Top 5 Albums
1: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly [Hip Hop]
Could be the best Hip Hop album I've ever heard. Lyrically it couldn't be more relevant and musically it manages to sound modern while taking heavy influence from Hip Hop's roots in Jazz and Funk. It's also a concept album, which isn't unheard of for Hip Hop, but this is the first time I listened to a Hip Hop album that felt like a complete experience. I have to sit down and listen to the entire thing every time. Each song is woven together very meticulously and there are many recurring lyrical and musical themes that all culminate in the final song. It features a lot of collaborators, as many albums of this type do, but Kendrick's voice and vision comes through on every song. It doesn't sound like an album that featured so many people. It's a very personal album. It's also very challenging, especially given its 74 minute length. And yet, he managed to release an album with massive acclaim. I find that impressive. One of the best albums I've heard in a very long time.

Favorite song:

2: Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls [Synth Pop]
While it doesn't top the last two albums for me, TBOS really hit hard. Everything about it was a shocker. Double album, 18 minute song from Bruce, even songs like Man of Sorrows and If Eternity Should Fail brought out a side of Maiden that we've never heard before. How many bands nearly 40 years into their career can you say that about? I can't think of any. I really hope it isn't the last Maiden album. It isn't perfect, but it sounds like it's a stepping stone to perfection. Whatever they do next could be the best thing they've ever done. The most unique thing about this album for me is that the shorter songs perfectly stand up to the longer ones. On TFF and (especially) AMOLAD, I find myself anxious to get to the epics and almost glossing over some of the shorter songs. As if they're filler for the good stuff. That's not to say they're bad, but when I think of these two albums the clear highlights are Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Isle of Avalon, and The Legacy. When I think of TBOS, there's a bit more variety. Empire of the Clouds sticks out for sure, but I like Man Of Sorrows just as much if not more. The Red and the Black is pretty awesome, but I might prefer Tears of a Clown. Speed of Light isn't just a fun rocker that reminds us of the sort of thing Maiden did in the 80s, it totally holds up to that older material and it sounds fresh. That's the best thing about this album, I think. They don't sound like a band halfway through their fourth decade, Bruce doesn't sound like a near 60 year old with a tumor in his throat, they sound young and hungry. No nostalgia here, Maiden is still progressing and evolving 16 albums later.

Favorite song: Three way tie between IESF, Man of Sorrows, and EOTC.

3: Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic [Progressive Metal]
BTBAM has had an interesting history. They started out in the early 00s as yet another Metalcore band with very subtle progressive tendencies. With each album they've gotten more and more progressive but the metalcore sound has always been there, even on their classic album Colors. Now they've reached the point where they're just straight up prog metal, outdoing Dream Theater. This album is a rock opera that takes heavy influence from not just Dream Theater, but even more classic bands like Queen and Pink Floyd. The metalcore influence is almost completely gone and the vocals are more evenly split between harsh and clean. It still has the zany BTBAM style but the songs are also a lot more grounded and work better with each other than in the past. It all flows together well and feels really epic in its entirety. It also has a story that actually makes sense. I highly recommend this album to anybody who likes progressive metal and/or concept albums, including people who may have heard this band in the past and didn't like them, because they've changed a lot in the past few years.

Favorite song: This is tough because all the songs flow together for me, I can't really pick out individual songs all that well. The first single works really well as a gateway for this album though:

4: Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful [Symphonic Metal]
This album really got me into Nightwish. Before this I had heard Imaginaerum and various songs from their back catalog, but nothing got me really excited about them the way EFMB did. Even after hearing their entire discography, this still sticks out as their best. With the exception of GSOE, every song rocks hard. There are some Nightwishisms throughout the album but I feel like they mostly work. Shudder Before the Beautiful isn't their most original song, but they manage to take past ideas and make it something special. Edema Ruh has some of the best melodies I've ever heard. Despite being dragged down big time by the closing epic, this album still manages to hold up. One of the big surprises of this year for me.

Favorite song:

5: Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass [Baroque Pop]
I'm a sucker for good pop with a nice female voice. I especially like Baroque Pop, which borrows elements from classical (more specifically chamber) music. I have a hard time finding good baroque pop that's made recently, but this album really hit the spot. It has a distinct 70s sound, reminds me of Moody Blues and Fleetwood Mac at times, but it sounds surprisingly fresh at times. Lots of infectious hooks and really lush orchestrations. It's not like most pop that utilizes orchestral instruments where the orchestra is only really there to beef up the instrumentation, it's an active part of the music here.

Favorite song:

2015 was such a great year though, I feel like I've left out so many awesome albums. I may post a secondary top 5 later. :D

Top 5 songs (not counting the ones I posted up there)

Neal Morse - The Call (From The Grand Experiment) [Progressive Rock]
As a whole, the album was a bit run of the mill for Neal Morse. This song is amazing though, his best epic since leaving Spock's Beard IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8v6IoPzw4U
Jane Weaver - Don't Take My Soul (From The Silver Globe) [Folk]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvPL6rqJIk
Snarky Puppy/Metropole Orkest - The Clearing (From Sylva) [Jazz Fusion]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4ImDodeBk
Failure - Counterfeit Sky [From The Heart is a Monster) [Alt Rock/Grunge]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NiuBFMB-34
Chvrches - Playing Dead (From Every Open Eye) [Synthpop]

5 Disappointments

1: Bruce getting cancer
2: Greatest Show On Earth
3: No new Dream Theater until January (although it looks like it'll be worth the wait)
4: Symphony X album was really good, but I've had no real desire to come back to it. We'll see if I get into it again when we get to it with the survivor.
5: Iced Earth haven't retired.
Kidding! :D

Last edited:
Back