Official Football Thread

Thursday night football coming up, and for those of us who like to speculate about the outcome of group stages in, let's say (for no particular reason :innocent:) the UEFA Europa League, group A gives us a possible tie between three teams.

If Zorya Luhansk vs Manchester United is a draw, and Feyenoord vs Fenerbahce is a home win, three teams will be tied on 10 points, and all will have 6 points from the games between them (i.e. with the points taken against Zorya excluded). This will make it come down to goal difference between Feyenoord and Fenerbahce. In the case of a 1-0 win for Feyenoord, the total goal difference will decide.

If Man Utd lose (Cantona forbid) and Feyenoord win, the group victory will be between the two F's, again on goal difference.

So regardless of the game going on in Ukraine, Feyenoord will want to win by more than 1-0.

French Ligue 1 after 16.5 rounds:

Top scoring team is Monaco with 53 goals, followed by Nice and PSG with... 30 each :eek:

What Monaco is doing is probably unprecedented, Ligue 1 is notoriously low scoring. Pretty crazy.

Keep your eyes on Thomas Lemar and Kylian Mbappe. Big time talents. Just another two to the great generation of youngsters French football has found.

Also Falcao is back in form.

I didn't watch the game, but just want to say it again: PEP = FRAUD = EXPOSED. From what I read he played a back 3 of Sagna, Stones and Kolarov against Leicester's counterattacks lel
His crazy formations worked in Bayern because he had Lahm, Boateng and Alaba. It doesn't work for City when they have 4 aging fullbacks, 2 overpaid donkeys and 1 permanently crocked defender.

Watching the MLS final between Toronto and Seattle. Passion is there, both in the crowd and in the players, but football is bottom of English Championship at best. So many misplaced passes and failed clearances. Michael Bradley looks like the only player on the pitch that can successfully pass over a longer distance.

I didn't even pay attention to the draw. If Bayern or Barça is available for Arsenal, Bayern or Barça it is. That's the rules. Told my dad "Soo..Arsenal got Bayern" after group stages were over.

Some Chinese club is gonna pay 60 million pounds for Chelsea's Oscar. Deal almost done apparently. Kind of a waste since he's just 25, but a great deal for Chelsea.

Oscar has been a massive disappointment. Hasn't made any strides in years. Shame because he was off to a flying start at Chelsea, looked like a certain world class player in the future.

Apparently Man Utd is signing Benfica's Victor Lindelöf in January. Not sure if he's needed tbh. He's young and inexperienced and there's decent depth at CB position in the team right now. Jones and Rojo are in great form even if Smalling and Bailly are likely to come back to the starting lineup, plus there's Blind. Although Bailly will be going to AFCON and Blind might move to midfield since Schneiderlin is likely to leave (as well as Memphis), I still don't think this guy is needed.

Looks like James Rodriguez will leave Real Madrid in January. Their transfer ban for next summer has been lifted and he's going down the pecking order fast. I think Isco, Kovacic and Lucas Vazquez are all picked before him. And the main candidate to get him is Chelsea.

Waste of 1,5 years for James. He was great in his first year at Real. Chelsea look like a great suitor for him.

Back