Tournament Of Short Songs: Phase 1, Round 18

Vote for 1 or 2 of your FAVORITE songs:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
You can find the rules, list of songs and YouTube playlist of all songs in this thread.
I'll also put a link for each new round there and the thread is stickied so that it's easier to find.

Avantasia - Symphony Of Life
Down - Stone The Crow
Ocean Machine/Devin Townsend - Life
Swallow The Sun - Silent Towers
Symphony X - In The Dragon's Den

Quite a random round again. There's a heavy/power song with female vocals, southern rock/metal, prog rock/metal, melodeath/doom and prog power :D

Avantasia - Good vocals/vocal melodies but extremely annoying and repetitive riff.

Down - Not a big fan of this band or style of metal. This song has most of what I don't like about the style: Generic blues riffs, out of place tough guy vocals, plodding rhythms..

Devin Townsend - Great song, one of Devy's best. Anyone who appreciates atmospheric/progressive music with great hooks needs to do themselves a favor and listen to Ocean Machine right now.

Swallow the Sun - And ironically this reminds me of something Devin Townsend would do, at least in terms of songwriting. This is really cool, I'll have to check more of these guys out.

Symphony X - Great band, great album, meh song. So many better SX songs to choose from.

Going wtih Devy and Swallow the Sun.

Swallow the Sun, Symphony X.

I really wanted to like Avantasia, but it's a touch repetitive. Down isn't particularly my sort of thing, but I thought the guitars sounded lovely in it. Devin Townsend is one of those things I don't 'get'. I need to ask someone who knows more music theory to spell it out some day.

For me, getting used to Devin's production style was the big challenge. Sometimes his songwriting abilities get drowned out by the wall of sound in his music. Once I got used to that, I had an easier time digesting his music.

Would it be a problem if I voted for Symphony X? :devil:

Last edited:
Back